Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Carry-on baggage on United Express flights
United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.

Gate agents will provide green tags for gate-checked items, and baggage handlers will place them into the baggage hold during boarding. You can pick up your green-tagged baggage planeside when you arrive, rather than going to baggage claim. Customers traveling on EMB170, EMB175 or CRJ-700 aircraft may be able to bring roller bags and larger carry-on items on board, as these aircraft offer more overhead bin space.

When traveling on a United Express flight, please make sure to place any medications or other items that you might need on board in a smaller carry-on bag, so you can keep them with you during your flight. Personal vaporizers and e-cigarettes should also be packed in your smaller carry-on bag, as they are not permitted in checked or gate-checked bags.

As on mainline flights, any item larger than the allowed carry-on size or exceeding the one carry-on and one personal item limit will be checked to your final destination. Baggage service charges may apply, and you'll have to pick up these items at baggage claim.

Note: Due to limited overhead bin space, customers traveling on aircraft with 50 passenger seats, such as the EMB 145 and CRJ-200, are allowed one standard carry-on size bag that will be checked at the gate free of charge and one personal item to be taken on board. A second item is only permitted if both items can fit together in the personal item bag sizer located at the departure gate.
UX carriers with Operational Specifications / FAR restrictions concerning carry-ons ( for EMB 145 and/or CRJ-200 )
  • Commutair
  • Trans States Airlines ?
  • Air Wisconsin ?
  • ExpressJet ?
  • ???
Print Wikipost

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Flew a CRJ200 LAX-COS last Thursday, and another COS-DEN Saturday. No such issues on either plane, and the COS-DEN was completely filled.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Some United Express carriers have more restrictive policies than the standard baggage policy. All evidence points to these being legitimate restrictions and not just gate agents making things up on the spot. (And, regardless of the reason that the United Express carrier has instituted this as the policy, they can be fined by the FAA for not following their own policy.)

United isn't super clear about this on their website, but there is a blurb that sort of speaks to it at least tangentially:

United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Does anyone one know what UA Express carrier has this policy? And does it only apply to E145s / CRJ200s?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Limit of 1 item onboard an ERJ 145 at EWR

I've been flying a regional route to and from EWR for months on an ERJ145. Today morning, prior to boarding, the gate agent stated he would only allow 1 item per passenger in the cabin, with the second having to be gate-checked no matter how small and regardless of boarding group - even if the only two items were a small backpack and a purse.

I make sure to only fly with my backpack and laptop bag on the ERJ145 because of its limited overhead capacity and not wanting to wait 15 minutes for a gate checked bag. Have never had an issue with this boarding in group 1 or 2 in months of doing the route. My backpack was tagged forcefully when scanning my boarding pass despite my disbelief and asking for the agent's name.

Does United allow gate agents to make up rules now? What's the point of being in Group 1 or 2 now on United? No other gate agents were doing the same thing for the same sized aircraft boarding at adjacent gates as a point of reference. Anyone else experience something similar?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This is not a “made up” rule. It’s a rule of one of the UA Express carriers. (Commutair)

They’ve declared the E145 as a single item aircraft in their policies and filed as such with the FAA. They have no choice but to follow it.

Someone went through this recently and even got UA Executive customer support involved. They got to the bottom of it and the fact is, it’s legit, it’s being enforced and it’s not going to change anytime soon.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This is not a “made up” rule. It’s a rule of one of the UA Express carriers. (Commutair)

They’ve declared the E145 as a single item aircraft in their policies and filed as such with the FAA. They have no choice but to follow it.

Someone went through this recently and even got UA Executive customer support involved. They got to the bottom of it and the fact is, it’s legit, it’s being enforced and it’s not going to change anytime soon.
Appreciate the reply. All my regional flights are operated by Expressjet and not Commutair, but possible it's similar. The flight attendants couldn't care less if passengers brought 2 items into the cabin from what I could tell in months of doing the route - only the grumpy gate agent today as an exception.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tryathlete
ha! Good luck flying to dozens of small airports on UX or for that matter other carriers.
Not a problem for many of us.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: AA, UA,
Rollerboards on CRJ700s/AA

For the second time .. gate agents refused to allow small (and it fits bec I have done before!) rollerboard on CRJ700 w/ a first class. They cited FAA rule. I checked tho' haven't yet dug deeply and can't find. Anyone have link to the rule? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by JEinDC
For the second time .. gate agents refused to allow small (and it fits bec I have done before!) rollerboard on CRJ700 w/ a first class. They cited FAA rule. I checked tho' haven't yet dug deeply and can't find. Anyone have link to the rule? Thanks.
IIRC, the specific FAA rule is that the carrier must enforce its internal procedure manual. Thus if their manual for the FA's says one bag, then per FAA rule enforcing the manual, its one bag.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by JEinDC
See my explanation in post #14 of this same thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29405159-post14.html
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Air Wisconsin (UX) has this policy as does Envoy (AA). SkyWest does NOT have this policy. I'm not sure of what other's policies are.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
#1 reason I became a one bag traveler. I now use my Goruck GR1 for most trips.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
In effect today YHZ-EWR (Expressjet). Lots of frustrated people.

I guess my frustration is why are pax only finding out when trying to board. No mention of this at the gate, no mention of this from the ramp workers (we had to board outside on stairs). Just the FA barking orders from the top of the stairs that she doesn’t care if bags fit or not, only one item. This led to a lot of confusion as the ramp workers had to run back into the terminal to get green tags). Everyone was just standing around looking confused.
brp1264 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BThumme
In effect today YHZ-EWR (Expressjet). Lots of frustrated people.

I guess my frustration is why are pax only finding out when trying to board. No mention of this at the gate, no mention of this from the ramp workers (we had to board outside on stairs). Just the FA barking orders from the top of the stairs that she doesn’t care if bags fit or not, only one item. This led to a lot of confusion as the ramp workers had to run back into the terminal to get green tags). Everyone was just standing around looking confused.
FA power trip?

David
Old May 20, 2019, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
FA power trip? ..
Some of the UX carriers' FARs do not allow wheeled items or a second bag as carry-on -- as discussed earlier in this thread. Enforcement is spotty but when enforced some might call it a "power trip."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.