Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Carry-on baggage on United Express flights
United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.

Gate agents will provide green tags for gate-checked items, and baggage handlers will place them into the baggage hold during boarding. You can pick up your green-tagged baggage planeside when you arrive, rather than going to baggage claim. Customers traveling on EMB170, EMB175 or CRJ-700 aircraft may be able to bring roller bags and larger carry-on items on board, as these aircraft offer more overhead bin space.

When traveling on a United Express flight, please make sure to place any medications or other items that you might need on board in a smaller carry-on bag, so you can keep them with you during your flight. Personal vaporizers and e-cigarettes should also be packed in your smaller carry-on bag, as they are not permitted in checked or gate-checked bags.

As on mainline flights, any item larger than the allowed carry-on size or exceeding the one carry-on and one personal item limit will be checked to your final destination. Baggage service charges may apply, and you'll have to pick up these items at baggage claim.

Note: Due to limited overhead bin space, customers traveling on aircraft with 50 passenger seats, such as the EMB 145 and CRJ-200, are allowed one standard carry-on size bag that will be checked at the gate free of charge and one personal item to be taken on board. A second item is only permitted if both items can fit together in the personal item bag sizer located at the departure gate.
UX carriers with Operational Specifications / FAR restrictions concerning carry-ons ( for EMB 145 and/or CRJ-200 )
  • Commutair
  • Trans States Airlines ?
  • Air Wisconsin ?
  • ExpressJet ?
  • ???
Print Wikipost

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Unless this really is a new rule, I'd guess it is just a their idea of a way to get people boarded more quickly. (check bags early, don't have to do it during and after boarding).
I've seen all kinds of stories. Like no rollaboards in the overhead even if it fits. (child size rollaboard)

I've even had them move bags from below up into the cabin to "reduce" weight. For weight calculations, every passenger has an assumed average weight and is assumed to have a carry-on bag with some assumed weight. Then every checked bag is more weight that gets added. I guess the pilot found the plane to be over weight so they converted some checked bags into carry-on bags. That "reduces" the weight in the calculation but not in reality. Forcing bags to be checked would only "increase" the weight of the plane so that doesnt make sense either. This was a few years ago, maybe they changed the calculation again.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:27 pm

LarryJ for the win!!! United’s largest EMB-145 partner has not allowed carry on bags since they were an even larger EMB-145 partner with Continental (and they weren’t allowed then either). The company operation specifications dictate that carry on bags are not allowed in the cabin and because of that, the average passenger weights are able to be lower than if bags were allowed. The difficulty and inconsistency in enforcement is probably because of various stations/vendors/flight attendant perceptions of the rule and it’s basis.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
A lot of bags don't fit in the overhead of ERJ145, so it sounds like the agent was trying to simplify the judgement call of OK/not by saying everyone has to gate check something. Sort of silly, but not totally irrational.
I haven't had problems with the ERJ145. The overheads on those are taller than the ones on the CRJs which are the aircraft that I can't use my rollaboard on. My standard 40 liter backpack generally fits under the seat in front of me and can fit in the ERJ145 overhead but not CRJs.

What I find really interesting is that the GAs took the OPs laptop bag. Laptops and bags with Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries are supposed to be a no-no in the cargo hold after the lithium fires of past years.

EDIT: LarryJ's explanation of weight & balance rules makes perfect sense to me.

EDIT 2: I was thinking of the 175. Flew a 145 recently and realized how wrong I was. I can certainly understand carry-on limitations on the 145.

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Mar 12, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
What I find really interesting is that the GAs took the OPs laptop bag. Laptops and bags with Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries are supposed to be a no-no in the cargo hold after the lithium fires of past years.
To my knowledge it's only lithium batteries that are loose which are prohibited in the hold. Batteries that are built into something (such as a phone, tablet, computer, etc) or are plugged into something (such as a laptop with a removable battery) are acceptable. The reason spares aren't allowed is the shaking may cause them to short, I believe, whereas those within electronics have built in protection. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
anecdotal evidence in STL

Flew AX last on IADSTL; my experience was that even with green tagged bags they announced that due to the cold all green tagged bags would be sent to the carousel so passengers wouldn't have to stand in the jetway. STL ground ops are pretty bad for long waits regardless so I guess in that sense it was better to just be inside while waiting forever for my bag,
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What I took exception to was your assertion that the rules changed.

It wasn't my assertion that the rules changed mahasamatman. The OP wrote, "he said it's a "new rule" that went into effect two weeks ago for 50-seater aircraft for weight and balance issues." It was the GA that said the rule had changed. Whether it actually had or not is not something I know the answer to but it's irrelevant in any case. My point was that the rules change all the time and if you are told a rule has changed, what is the point of letting yourself get upset about it.

Years ago, I was driving in a city on a busy highway that transits through the city. A driver cut me off and I was venting out loud about what a xyx that driver was. My Brother was with me and he said to me something like, 'what good does it do you to get your blood pressure up about it? That driver is not going to be affected by your rant, the only person that is going to suffer is you. Let it go.' The same is true with all the rants or even just calm complaints people post here. The GA is not reading all these comments and thinking, 'oh what a bad person I am.' The OP is the only person that this incident has upset. Is it really worth spending time and effort on to even post this thread?

The reality is that air travel today is no longer a privilege reserved for those who can afford it. Air travel today is no different than taking a bus. Having expectations that you will be treated any better than someone getting on a bus is an unrealistic expectation. Even those who say, 'I have Gold status' etc. need to realize that it means nothing. Everyone and their uncle seems to have 'gold status' these days. This forum is full of people who think they have 'status'. The reality is that the only people with 'status' that really matters are those who can afford to not fly commercial at all. IF you want your expectations met then buy your own plane or charter a flight. When your expectations aren't met then, you FIRE the crew. But when you are in a position where the other person has more 'position power' than you do (as every GA on every commercial flight you board does), you have lower status than they do. Time to realize just what status you really have and move on.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I call BS

this is a regional partner acting alone. There’s no such policy and if you’re carrying a laptop bag and a small duffel or handbag (Not a roller), you should not be forced to check anything unless you’re in a late boarding group.

If if I have a tight connection, I’d be totally upset as waiting for bags that are gate checked could be the factor that causes a misconnect.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Bingo!
Just be cool, let them tag your bag, and smile while keeping your lips sealed, Then mosey on the plane, palming the greenie!
If it absolutely doesn't fit, or you can't find a bin large enough, put the tag back on and set it out by the door!

Problem solved --- as 1P so rightfully indicates!

You could be having a cool one during the time your trying to win a battle with a stubborn g/a, who is enforcing some arcaric rule!
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Welcome to FT and thanks for the heads up. Going forward, I’ll start avoiding those small regional jets.

ha! Good luck flying to dozens of small airports on UX or for that matter other carriers. I guess there’s always Amtrak or a Greyhound!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tryathlete
this is a regional partner acting alone. There’s no such policy and if you’re carrying a laptop bag and a small duffel or handbag (Not a roller), you should not be forced to check anything unless you’re in a late boarding group.

If if I have a tight connection, I’d be totally upset as waiting for bags that are gate checked could be the factor that causes a misconnect.
That is the scenario I will face later this week. Coming off a 50-seater in DEN, with a short connection and a likely long walk to the next gate. I am planning to carry a small backpack and a small bag, both either fitting in the overhead or under the seat. The 5 mins to wait for gate-checked bags may very well be the difference between making the connection or not making it (*). I'll be in BG2, so space should still be available in bins (and willing to use under-seat for one bag, of course).

The carry-on policy for UAX does not list any restriction to ONE ITEM for UAX flights, just that larger bags may not fit (which makes sense, and I am taking measures to not face that issue by picking a small carry-on bag).

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...#unitedexpress

(*) and for those planning to tell me to book a better connection... I would if I could. Going from a small regional airport to another small one with two UA stations inbetween doesn't give us a lot of options that don't involve 13+ hrs of domestic travel.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bgiery
I flew United 2/9/18 from IAD to STL on an RJ-145 and was blindsided at the gate when they announced I was only allowed 1 personal item on board. First of all, they didn't mention anything about this at check in when clearly I was carrying two small bags. I am a long-time Premier Gold frequent flyer so I was shocked and surprised. They were not going to let ANYONE have two bags on board the plan. When I asked the gate agent about this, he said it's a "new rule" that went into effect two weeks ago for 50-seater aircraft for weight and balance issues. He also said that some were not strictly enforcing it, which makes it worse since you won't know until you arrive at the gate. What kind of rule is that? I found it hilarious that the line waiting for gate-checked bags when we landed was 4 times as long as it usually is because although everyone only had one bag in the cabin, all those bags were still on the plane; they were just underneath in cargo. Doesn't make sense. I specifically carry a laptop bag which fits into the overhead of every plane without fail and a tote with the rest of my travel stuff in it and I was made to check my laptop bag. I asked some other fellow road warriors and they've never heard of this rule either (and they've all traveled on small planes the last two weeks), so they were doubting this was a thing. Has anyone been caught unawares at the gate recently with this "one bag, period" rule on smaller aircraft? Was United just flexing their muscles?
I'm confused as to why you were "forced to check my laptop bag". Does it not fit under the seat in front of you? Did you remove the laptop and carry it separately?I would have just checked the travel tote and been done with it. I have a tri-fold hanging bag that fits in every overhead bin I have seen. Even when they make announcements like "only one bag", I have noted that the actual FAs tend to not enforce it (allowing for the strategy of letting the GA green-tag a bag, then take it on the plane with you).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: United
Thumbs down New baggage policy on regional planes?

I was just notified by the gate agent at IAD that United has iinstituted a new policy that only allows one bag on a regional flight, regardless of ticket or MileagePlus status.

I've been travel on these regionals with my suitcase in the overhead and briefcase under the seat for a few years now. I will probably end up taking the train from DC to Newark from now on.

Just wanted to let others know.

Last edited by Chtaylo3; Mar 12, 2018 at 3:57 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
I think this belongs in this forum: Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?
:-)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by alexperi
I would concur, this is ridiculous and absolutely incorrect. Maybe an honest mistake as I can't imagine what benefit it would bring to a gate agent - green tagging luggage is simpler for the GA than having to gate check everything and print out individual luggage tags.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by alexperi
My daughter just flew Portland, Maine to Newark ( Embraer RJ145 ) and was told the same thing. She carried a backpack and her purse. She told the FA that she would be putting it all under the seat but they said "they would be in trouble for not enforcing the policy" and green tagged the backpack.:

Just did a quick check on the United website under "Carry-On Baggage for United Express Flights" and this policy is not listed. All it talks about is baggage that won't fit in the overhead.

Last edited by Johnson21710; Mar 12, 2018 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
This comes up every once in a while. It typically turns out to be specific to a certain United Express carrier, though I can't recall which one is usually the culprit.

There are numerous airlines that fly under the United Express banner. They all have their own regulations regarding carry on bags. While it would be great if they are all consistent, it just isn't the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.