Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Carry-on baggage on United Express flights
United Express flights are served by regional partner carriers using smaller aircraft than United's mainline fleet. Aircraft in the United Express fleet generally have less room in the overhead bins for carry-on baggage, and in most cases roller bags and other larger carry-on items will not fit in United Express overhead bins. As a result, you may need to gate-check these items before boarding.

Gate agents will provide green tags for gate-checked items, and baggage handlers will place them into the baggage hold during boarding. You can pick up your green-tagged baggage planeside when you arrive, rather than going to baggage claim. Customers traveling on EMB170, EMB175 or CRJ-700 aircraft may be able to bring roller bags and larger carry-on items on board, as these aircraft offer more overhead bin space.

When traveling on a United Express flight, please make sure to place any medications or other items that you might need on board in a smaller carry-on bag, so you can keep them with you during your flight. Personal vaporizers and e-cigarettes should also be packed in your smaller carry-on bag, as they are not permitted in checked or gate-checked bags.

As on mainline flights, any item larger than the allowed carry-on size or exceeding the one carry-on and one personal item limit will be checked to your final destination. Baggage service charges may apply, and you'll have to pick up these items at baggage claim.

Note: Due to limited overhead bin space, customers traveling on aircraft with 50 passenger seats, such as the EMB 145 and CRJ-200, are allowed one standard carry-on size bag that will be checked at the gate free of charge and one personal item to be taken on board. A second item is only permitted if both items can fit together in the personal item bag sizer located at the departure gate.
UX carriers with Operational Specifications / FAR restrictions concerning carry-ons ( for EMB 145 and/or CRJ-200 )
  • Commutair
  • Trans States Airlines ?
  • Air Wisconsin ?
  • ExpressJet ?
  • ???
Print Wikipost

Blindsided by claimed "New" Carry-On Policy - only 1 personal item (for 50 seat UX)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So United's webpage now says that Air Wisconsin and Commutair only allow one carry-on. Three years since this thread was last active - is Air Wisconsin consistently enforcing the policy?

I have a tight connection at ORD (42 minutes) and I don't see much hope of making it if I have to wait for valet.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by bgiery
They specifically said FAA regulation.
FA's and other airline staff routinely call everything an FAA regulation if a pax complains about it.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Doppy
So United's webpage now says that Air Wisconsin and Commutair only allow one carry-on. Three years since this thread was last active - is Air Wisconsin consistently enforcing the policy?

I have a tight connection at ORD (42 minutes) and I don't see much hope of making it if I have to wait for valet.
There is no space in the overhead bins on the CR2s that AirWis operate for UA. Your 2nd carry must be really small to fit in said bins.

You can always check the bag at the counter then it will have a better chance of making the connection.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
There is no space in the overhead bins on the CR2s that AirWis operate for UA. Your 2nd carry must be really small to fit in said bins.

You can always check the bag at the counter then it will have a better chance of making the connection.
I had planned a very small second bag for this reason, but just decided to reroute and avoid the CR2 and short connection entirely.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I had a recent trip where over two days I flew 2 CRJ Air Wisconsin outbound one day and 2 CRJ Air Wisconsin return next days. One FA had strict - only personal item onboard, carry-on regardless of size, weight, or type had to be checked. Three FA had no issues unless the bag really was too big. Roll of the dice ...
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.