Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bri451
All of this is just a response to pet fees.They are suddenly an “emotional support” animal to save $125 each way. We all need emotional support against rising airline fees...too bad I don’t have a dog.
We could debate the merit of many fees, but I think we could all (but one) agree on feces fees.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Feb 27, 2018 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Amusing story but why didn't you just pick it up?
Surely there was some paper or a trash liner around?

A Pomeranian "Service Animal"? It sounds like the owner pulled some strings to get that qualification.
I suppose with the curtailing of "Emotional Support" animals that we will now see the "Service Animal" vests abused in a similar fashion as the temporary Handicap Tag over the car mirror.

And by the same kind of people.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jsmithers
My husband and I are volunteers, and raise service animals that are bred to help the visually impaired. Starting at six weeks we put on the vest, and the dog learns early on, to get his/her business done when not wearing the vest. Real service just wouldn’t leave you those suprises!
Fairly confident that 99.998747% of the animals seen un-caged in airports are not real service animals.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by danbrew

Fairly confident that 99.998747% of the animals seen un-caged in airports are not real service animals.
(Insert joke about my wife here.) ....only kidding, dear.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
OP, did you say this happened on Super Bowel Sunday?
MSPeconomist and Howste like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
It does seem incredible this was hard to clean up. People get sick and throw up that is a bigger deal how would they clean that! Get a plastic bag from a shop. Ridiculous

​​​​​All the NY airports though stories like this, it is just so poorly run. Everyone calling someone else to do anything. NY hotels tend be equally as bad fyi every employee has the not my job attitude. I doubt this would be an issue in any other area.

​​​​​​I agree a true service animal doesn't do things like this, its a poorly trained dog by a human. I blame the owner not the dog, the owner is clearly the problem.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I blame the owner. When he/she said "vacation" the dog heard "defecation." What else would a properly trained dog doo? I blame the owner for not enunciating properly.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Couldn't think of a better spot for this, so here goes...

Was walking from gate to gate in the B Concourse-DEN yesterday when I saw a couple let their dog take a rather large dump in the middle of the concourse. No concern whatsoever, and her weak attempt to clean it up only left an even larger brown area on the tile. I was busy at the ATM nearby or I would have run away as the smell was very bad.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

Was walking from gate to gate in the B Concourse-DEN yesterday when I saw a couple let their dog take a rather large dump in the middle of the concourse. No concern whatsoever, and her weak attempt to clean it up only left an even larger brown area on the tile. I was busy at the ATM nearby or I would have run away as the smell was very bad.
Camera Phone —-> Twitter/Facebook/Instagram
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

Saw the same thing at SAN last year. I thought initially the couple were getting paper towels to clean it up (based on the conversation they had with each other) but watched them walk past the bathroom and they never came back with paper towels but did board the same (United) plane as me. Not sure how you deal with such folks as obviously they knew they should clean up the mess but left it for presumably the cleaning staff of the airport.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Camera Phone —-> Twitter/Facebook/Instagram
I'm never shy to take photos, but I don't want to ever see this again. The image burned on the brain is bad enough.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Saw the same thing at SAN last year. I thought initially the couple were getting paper towels to clean it up (based on the conversation they had with each other) but watched them walk past the bathroom and they never came back with paper towels but did board the same (United) plane as me. Not sure how you deal with such folks as obviously they knew they should clean up the mess but left it for presumably the cleaning staff of the airport.
Same here, most recently at LAX, where I actually did politely say "excuse me, are you going to clean that up?" which resulted in a dirty look and a "mind your own business". Dog, of course, had on the ubiquitous fake vest, but something tells me neither the dog nor owner know about service animal training. At least this time I was spared watching someone roll their bag through it. When I let the gate agent know, he said it happens more than he could have imagined and he called airport cleaners. I almost feel like with need a special DYKWIA thread just about animals. :-)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I have a 3.5 month old Boxer. I had her in the coffee shop I’m at everyday and when she started to poop I actually caught it with my hands. Much more gross for me but considerate to others I guess. Having a dog now I will say I get kind of judgey about other pet owners. If I saw any of these at the airport I would make a full stop and confront them. When I was staying at The Ritz Bacara I saw a Boxer and got to talking to the owner and she bascially told me to go online and get the ESA thing and the hotel can’t charge you the $150/stay to bring the dog and....”you can bring them on flights!” I told her something along the lines of I don’t believe in all that fake BS and the convo quickly ended.
When I go to NY to see friends or Hawaii I am going on vacation, I love my puppy but I want a break as well!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Was walking from gate to gate in the B Concourse-DEN yesterday when I saw a couple
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Saw the same thing at SAN last year. I thought initially the couple
Wonder if it's the same couple going around airports letting their dog wherever it wants.. lol

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I have a 3.5 month old Boxer. I had her in the coffee shop I’m at everyday and when she started to poop I actually caught it with my hands. Much more gross for me but considerate to others I guess.
I like dogs, but don't have one because I wouldn't be willing to do that! I wish more pet owners were like you!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by mr8
I like dogs, but don't have one because I wouldn't be willing to do that! I wish more pet owners were like you!
Do yourself a favor then, and NEVER EVER visit the pet relief areas outside of airport terminals Despite the fact that these "facilities" are normally completed stocked with "pet waste bags", there is doo-doo everywhere. I've found that people who are unwilling to pay a fee, also do not believe they have a duty to clean up after their animal, as others have suggested above.

Maybe it's DYWKIA-ish, but I keep all of the "Pet in Cabin" tags on my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's carrier, and there are dozens of them, as a way of saying if I can pay, you too can pay. I promise you, he has never left his "waste" inside of an airport.

Finally, UA as of 24 April has started to provide new bright yellow "Pet in Cabin Tags" making it easier to identify those who do not pay.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.