FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1893299-dog-incidents-ua-terminals-slow-response-gives-paws-consolidated.html)

mr8 Apr 26, 18 12:50 pm


Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 29686826)
...
Maybe it's DYWKIA-ish, but I keep all of the "Pet in Cabin" tags on my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's carrier, and there are dozens of them, as a way of saying if I can pay, you too can pay. I promise you, he has never left his "waste" inside of an airport.

Finally, UA as of 24 April has started to provide new bright yellow "Pet in Cabin Tags" making it easier to identify those who do not pay.

People like you should be invited to pre-board! Thank you for being a good pet owner!

COSPILOT Apr 26, 18 2:07 pm


Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 29686668)
I have a 3.5 month old Boxer. I had her in the coffee shop I’m at everyday and when she started to poop I actually caught it with my hands. Much more gross for me but considerate to others I guess. Having a dog now I will say I get kind of judgey about other pet owners. If I saw any of these at the airport I would make a full stop and confront them. When I was staying at The Ritz Bacara I saw a Boxer and got to talking to the owner and she bascially told me to go online and get the ESA thing and the hotel can’t charge you the $150/stay to bring the dog and....”you can bring them on flights!” I told her something along the lines of I don’t believe in all that fake BS and the convo quickly ended.
When I go to NY to see friends or Hawaii I am going on vacation, I love my puppy but I want a break as well!

I have a 9 yr old Boxer and a 5 yr old English Bull Dog, both are awesome, but I think it's best they stay at home with us or the nanny. Both are lovers and very well behaved, but the Bull Dog is 98lbs, and when he decides to do something, not a human on the planet will stop him. His love of food, even UA food, would be a problem on the airplane. He would eat sand if he thought it had some value and a decent smell.

I'm 100% confident he would make national news if I ever allowed him to travel with me. He would guarantee nothing goes to waist at every airport.

narvik Apr 26, 18 5:32 pm

Interesting reading about all the dog stories. Some are definitely DYKWIA, but maybe there should be a spin-off thread:
DYKWDTI (Do You Know Who's Dog This Is?)

Howste Apr 30, 18 8:51 am


Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 29687121)
He would guarantee nothing goes to waist at every airport.

At first I thought you meant "waste" but then I thought maybe you meant it wouldn't go to your waist. :confused: :p

txpenny Apr 30, 18 9:23 am


Originally Posted by narvik (Post 29687790)
Interesting reading about all the dog stories. Some are definitely DYKWIA, but maybe there should be a spin-off thread:
DYKWDTI (Do You Know Who's Dog This Is?)

We could do dogs and CHILDREN, all in one thread.

Mass hysteria!

COSPILOT Apr 30, 18 9:26 am


Originally Posted by Howste (Post 29699114)
At first I thought you meant "waste" but then I thought maybe you meant it wouldn't go to your waist. :confused: :p

Good catch! Yes, it should be waste! And yes, he will eat anything and everything.

rufflesinc Apr 30, 18 11:35 am


Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 29685990)
Not sure how you deal with such folks as obviously they knew they should clean up the mess but left it for presumably the cleaning staff of the airport.

You have airport police arrest them for vandalism and send them a bill for the cleaning costs, the same way if they damage any other airport property.

threeoh Apr 30, 18 11:44 am


Originally Posted by rufflesinc (Post 29699676)
You have airport police arrest them for vandalism and send them a bill for the cleaning costs, the same way if they damage any other airport property.

Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested! And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.

rufflesinc Apr 30, 18 11:53 am


Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29699700)
Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested!

Aside from the side that ice cream is not the same as a biological hazard like feces (or is that a new euphemism?), it is highly foreseeable that a dog not wearing a diaper will poop on the floor.

People freak out when someone puts their feet (with or without shoes) on a lounge table ...

And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.
You damage stuff on accident, like dinging a car , you're still responsible. It's called personal responsibility.

threeoh Apr 30, 18 12:28 pm


Originally Posted by rufflesinc (Post 29699737)
Aside from the side that ice cream is not the same as a biological hazard like feces (or is that a new euphemism?), it is highly foreseeable that a dog not wearing a diaper will poop on the floor.

People freak out when someone puts their feet (with or without shoes) on a lounge table ...
You damage stuff on accident, like dinging a car , you're still responsible. It's called personal responsibility.

People freak out, yes, but no one is arrested or fined. An airport worker or other traveller telling the offender that their behavior is unacceptable, and would they please return to clean up the poop -- yes, that would be fine.

I'm not saying dog owners should allow their dogs to poop in airports and then not clean it up. I'm saying your proposed solution (arrest them and send them a cleaning bill) is way out of line, both with what is currently the practice and what I believe should be the practice. I've spent a lot of time in airports and I've never seen anyone arrested for failing to clean up after themselves (or their pets, children, etc.). I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes. I think if they did so, there would (rightfully) be a public outcry and bad press for the airport authority. That's not the correct solution.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that. The idea that anyone who drops food, has a dog poop, or tracks in mud from outdoors should be billed is nonsensical. If there was permanent damage and that piece of flooring had to replaced, then maybe we can talk.

(And I don't think it's "highly foreseeable" that a dog without a diaper will poop inside -- many dogs are trained not to poop indoors. This may have been a freak accident. Or it may have been a poorly trained dog. We don't know.)

EAlyse Apr 30, 18 12:33 pm


Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29699851)
People freak out, yes, but no one is arrested or fined. An airport worker or other traveller telling the offender that their behavior is unacceptable, and would they please return to clean up the poop -- yes, that would be fine.

I'm not saying dog owners should allow their dogs to poop in airports and then not clean it up. I'm saying your proposed solution (arrest them and send them a cleaning bill) is way out of line, both with what is currently the practice and what I believe should be the practice. I've spent a lot of time in airports and I've never seen anyone arrested for failing to clean up after themselves (or their pets, children, etc.). I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes. I think if they did so, there would (rightfully) be a public outcry and bad press for the airport authority. That's not the correct solution.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that. The idea that anyone who drops food, has a dog poop, or tracks in mud from outdoors should be billed is nonsensical. If there was permanent damage and that piece of flooring had to replaced, then maybe we can talk.

(And I don't think it's "highly foreseeable" that a dog without a diaper will poop inside -- many dogs are trained not to poop indoors. This may have been a freak accident. Or it may have been a poorly trained dog. We don't know.)

To be fair, a lot of cities impose fines for those who do not clean up after their dog in public. As an example, NYC has a $250 fine. The trick is enforcement, but I don't see why that type of rule couldn't be applied to an airport.

rufflesinc Apr 30, 18 12:34 pm


Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29699851)
I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes.

I don't know how you'd steam clean and sanitize carpet in 10 minutes.

My reference to arrest would be if they walked away without cleaning, the same way you'd get arrested for leaving the scene of an accident or hit and run., that wouldn't happen otherwise had you stayed.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that.
You say mess, I say property damage.

mr8 Apr 30, 18 2:33 pm


Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 29699700)
Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested! And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.

Sure accidents happen, but actively choosing to litter is a different story. If some person stops what they're doing, thinks, and then actively decides to throw their ice cream in the middle of the floor and knowingly walks away, then they should be fined or arrested...

MSPeconomist Apr 30, 18 2:54 pm


Originally Posted by rufflesinc (Post 29699676)
You have airport police arrest them for vandalism and send them a bill for the cleaning costs, the same way if they damage any other airport property.

I don't think UA wants a Dr Dao's dog incident.

mr8 Jun 29, 18 11:33 pm

Looks like the dogs are back in the UA terminal in DEN...
https://reddit.app.link/cCnMMiE89N

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-clean-up.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:29 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.