Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bri451
All of this is just a response to pet fees.They are suddenly an “emotional support” animal to save $125 each way. We all need emotional support against rising airline fees...too bad I don’t have a dog.
I need to see if I can fit my 5 year old son into one of these "emotional support animal" vests. His tickets are getting too expensive.
iluv2fly and PUCCI GALORE like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This story is so Newark you could guess the airport if it wasn't named. What a sewer.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by transportprof
I don't think it was the owner who defecated in a public space. Now that would be going too far!
I wrote it that way on purpose. They are one and the same as far as I'm concerned. The owner's responsibility to clean up the dog doo-doo is no different than her responsibility to clean up her own doo-doo if she were to have an accident (i.e., I'm giving the dog the benefit of the doubt and saying that it was an accident; it's still a disgusting mess and you need to clean it up!!!).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by UK Stages
it was this past sunday afternoon, super bowl sunday, at terminal C newark, gate 111. a pomeranian wearing a “service animal” vest pooped on the carpet in front of the boarding lanes. nobody was in that immediate area because the flight was delayed. the human who was accompanying the “service animal” fled the scene, carrying the offending pooch away in a small bag without attempting a cleanup. a waiting passenger immediately got up and told the gate agent, who made a call, presumably to maintenance or facilities or whatever department one calls to report a feat of doggy derring doo.

the same passenger who reported the poop immediately stood guard and made sure nobody wandered into the area. he was great… really calm… never once got hot under the collar. after about twenty minutes, a pilot wandered by and the passenger asked him if maybe he could get somebody to tend to the mess. the pilot went back to the gate agent, who made another call, but apparently she was barking up the wrong tree because nobody came to clean it up.

then the pilot saw a cleaning guy, somebody wearing a “lisbon cleaning services” shirt. he pleaded with him to clean it up… the cleaning guy said he would dispatch somebody with gloves. in the meantime, he rolls a garbage can and a recycling bin into the vicinity and rearranges the boarding lanes ever so slightly so nobody can get near the area. or so he thought. at least one person did walk through the poop zone and another dragged a rolling bag through, taking some incremental excrement with him. to be fair, though, he did walk through lane #2, so i suppose he should have known better.

about ten minutes later (a half hour or so after the dog did his business), somebody arrives... gloveless.

there is much discussion and negotiation between the two cleaning professionals… and much surveying of the area. the gloveless wonder takes a wet rag and applies it directly to the dog treat by attaching it to the end of a swiffer sweeper type device and presses down and scrapes. this is exactly the opposite of what i would have done, but, heck, i didn’t have any gloves either. (there’s a lot of stuff in my carry on - life on the road can be ruff, after all - but i don’t carry a pooper scooper or latex gloves. if the dog needed to charge his iPhone, however, i would have been ready to assist.)

so the guy scrapes and presses down hard, which essentially grinds the doggy doo deep into the carpet. then he disposes of the rag. then he comes back with a mop (i kid you not) and he proceeds to mop up the carpet while pressing down hard. (i’m no cleaning pro, but I didn’t know mops could be used on carpet… the things you learn as a frequent flyer!) this continues for a minute or three during which he manages to spread what’s left of the dog’s surprise (and no delight) over an area of about five or six square feet. he looks at the mop, he looks at the “clean” area, nods with a satisfied smile and places the mop back in his cart, perhaps to be used again on some other unsuspecting surface.

forgive me while i rant (although i realize some might consider this dogma), but i thought this response was kind of crappy… not only did they take a half hour to clean up the carpet after this dog did his business, but they left the carpet smelly and stained and riddled with bacteria. what they needed was some of that super absorbent industrial dry powder that is made specifically for cleaning up things like this and other unpleasantness. and then they needed to cordon off the area until they shampooed it and sanitized it.

that’s the leash they could do, in my opinion.

the flight left about three hours late, after a gate change. i didn’t stick around to see what the peacock did.
dog gone it. Just can’t good help nowadays.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I wrote it that way on purpose. They are one and the same as far as I'm concerned. The owner's responsibility to clean up the dog doo-doo is no different than her responsibility to clean up her own doo-doo if she were to have an accident (i.e., I'm giving the dog the benefit of the doubt and saying that it was an accident; it's still a disgusting mess and you need to clean it up!!!).
The owner is the problem. Any dog can be trained to behave—well most dogs. The owner bolted: bad owner. A responsible dog owner trains or has his/her dog trained and cleans up after the animal.

Bad owner.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Shame on the owner for defecating in a public place . . .
That would have been quite a sight!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I see people sitting and lying on the carpet at airports all the time (especially young people). If they only knew how they were cleaned.....
arcticflier likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
This is one of my favorite posts I've ever read . Cheers to seeing the amusing side of a gross situation! Hopefully united will add a 'failure to scoop' penalty fee
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:52 pm

I'm guessing this was a domestic flight given there wasn't any duty-free!
UK Stages and Howste like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
post-merger UA's definition of "red carpet boarding"
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
post-merger UA's definition of "red carpet boarding"
Maybe the dog got confused and thought he was in the red carpet club.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This thread is interesting timing - today at SFO, approximately 1pm on 2/12 - got to the end of the moving walkway to the 80's gate hearing a UA employee yelling over and over - "everyone to the left" - everyone confused until you got to the end of the walkway and you saw the aftermath of dog poop at the end of the walkway (all over the place). Of course no dog at this point - whether it be emotional support or a disability, I do think pet owners need to be held accountable for these "accidents"
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This thread is interesting timing
Interesting timing for me as well....

Getting off a UA flight at MSP on Saturday, walking past the NK gates, there was a dog owner cleaning up a pretty good size mess (the dog looked like a golden retriever,
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Excellent and amusing writing. Thank you, OP.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Unioted, Delta
Funny but so frustrating

My husband and I are volunteers, and raise service animals that are bred to help the visually impaired. Starting at six weeks we put on the vest, and the dog learns early on, to get his/her business done when not wearing the vest. Real service just wouldn’t leave you those suprises!
arcticflier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.