Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racial profiling by United premier rep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
I would say bad customer service. The lady that works the 1k check in (one of them) is not very customer friendly

i seen her treat other customers same way.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
How do these additional security checks come about? Not challenging your experience, but I have never seen any UA representative initiate a 'security check', so it would be news to me if they were involved.
it's nothing to do with UA reps being involved. it all happens when going through security, examples:

1. Stop to take swabs out of clothes, hands, electronics
2. Random bag searches
3. Random questioning after passing through security
4. References to secondary immigration

but it seems like the topic is turning into 'blaming UA for DHS security issues' and it has nothing to do with this original incident

etc
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
It has noting to do with SSSS, there are certain stereotypes that will bump your chances for additional security checks, now this can take 1 or 30 minutes, depends on how comprehensive the check is.
As others have asked, I am wondering if you're conflating TSA and UA responsibility and realm of access. UA sends your data to TSA anytime you buy a ticket, and the TSA will tell UA "this person has been selected for extra screening" - at which point SSSS is printed. Agents are technically able to add or remove SSSS from a boarding pass (although to my knowledge removing it is not supposed to be done in virtually any circumstance and is audited) - and they can handwrite it in too (if they really wanted to mess with you). That being said, if you did not have any sort of SSSS or other indicator on your boarding pass, United had absolutely no play in getting you this "additional security checks" - once you go to the TSA checkpoint it's all TSA. Maybe more information on what exactly these "additional security checks" are, as well as a timeline of when they occur (do you get informed at check in? at TSA? after going through the screening?) and who is telling you these things.

it's nothing to do with UA reps being involved. it all happens when going through security, examples:

2. Random bag searches
3. Random questioning after passing through security
4. References to secondary immigration

etc
Ah, then this is a completely different issue than your United Premier Access struggles (which I can certainly empathize with). That type of thing is either a TSA or CBP issue, not a United issue. I experience the whole "no way you're Premier" when flying sometimes and I tend to just take it in stride and continue on (I happen to like the look on their face when they see that they're wrong).

Last edited by chermorg; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:13 pm Reason: edit new quote
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
it's nothing to do with UA reps being involved.
Which makes it irrelvant to this thread.

If you feel wronged, file a complaint (providing only the relevant facts), but you can't expect anyone here to make that decision for you. There is insufficient information in the initial report for anyone to come to any reasonable conclusions. It's all conjecture and hearsay.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
As a young frequent flyer, this happens to me all the time, but mostly on United by the agents manning the front of the 1K lines. “Honey, this is the first class line. You need to check-in over there.” (Points at economy)

One time, even after I told the agent I was 1K, she told me “sir, I don’t think you heard me. You are in the wrong line.”
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Poor Customer service to assume you did not belong in the 1K/Premier line, but not everything is about race.
Would definitely file a report for the poor customer service.
As a minority who has seen a lot during my lifetime, I would like to echo this post.

Stop play the race card without facts.
Silver Fox and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
As a young frequent flyer, this happens to me all the time, but mostly on United by the agents manning the front of the 1K lines. “Honey, this is the first class line. You need to check-in over there.” (Points at economy)

One time, even after I told the agent I was 1K, she told me “sir, I don’t think you heard me. You are in the wrong line.”
I've stopped making eye contact with the 1K/Polaris agents a long time ago. I just ignore them and walk past. just don't feel the need to confirm I am in the right "lane" to them anymore.
Although recently, as a 1K in Y, when entering the kiosk area of 1K/Polaris at EWR and being asked: "Business Class?" I just answered "No" and kept on walking.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
As a minority who has seen a lot during my lifetime, I would like to echo this post.

Stop play the race card without facts.
What other reason would the agent make the assumption? I see only 3 possible reasons - a passenger's age, how the passenger is dressed, and the their skin color. One of of three, the agent was making a racist assumption.
muji likes this.

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If the incident upset you enough that you posted it in FT, then report it.

These days I am a middle age white woman, but in my younger days I was a senior executive at a very young age when everyone else was a white male, i.e. the "old boy's club". Many people would make assumptions about me but the classic was the partner from a (then) Big 8 Accounting firm who informed me rather self-importantly that he was here to meet with (my name) and he would like a cup of coffee with sugar while he waited. I got him the cup of coffee and then informed him I was who he was meeting with. He was sufficiently embarrassed and told me he was never assuming again. Sometimes it is ignorance, sometimes it is background, and sometimes it is just someone needing to help them understand.

It may be the agent was having a bad day, but it may be this is the person's background shaping their viewpoint. Not saying it is acceptable and only you can decide how to deal with it. Although based on some of the comments others have been experiencing it does sound like UA may want to undergo some CS training for their folks - perhaps have the SAN agents provide peer training. Some of the best UA CS reps I have encountered.

When I feel the CS service has been particularly galling (my first Polaris experience comes to mind) I do report it as I think some behavior is vindictive and pointed at particular people and the person needs to be highlighted for such bad CS experiences for the customer. Other times, I can see the person is stressed and it is not personal so treat the UA rep kindly and move on. Facts and circumstances.
aquamarinesteph and Gammur like this.

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's definitely poor customer service. Up to you to decide whether worth reporting.

I get that about 1 time in 10 at SFO. I'm white, middle aged, and clean cut.

They always say I've been "randomly selected." It's pretty annoying.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

it’s odd to me that it’s never once happened to me. i still get ID’d more often than not (when friends i’m with aren’t carded) at bars, but over the nearly half million miles i’ve flown over the past 5-6 years (including two 1K years) i’ve never gotten a whiff of feeling out of place by a UA employee in any part of the airport or aircraft; i’ve never been second guessed when making the left turn upon boarding. not all employees are bubbly or even pleasant, but i’ve never encountered any actual discrimination whatsoever.

i’m rarely in biz attire when i fly, mostly joggers and a hoodie (neat, just not professional) - heck, when i’m headed home, i’m buzzed most of the time.

i fly out of BOS often, and the check-in signage is slightly ambiguous in that the displays for the lanes to the left say “1K/polaris”, but there’s no polaris service at BOS. F pax who aren’t 1K checking in often stand around in front of the check-in desks, sort of looking for cues from other pax to see whether they can use the premier line. agents (who are often curt, but then again it is the northeast) just want to keep the lines moving.

i’m certainly not discounting OP’s negative experience, nor am i discouraging OP from reporting this. i’m just trying to point out that it’s possible there was a miscommunication/misinterpretation.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I think age/dress profiling is the issue. My recent LAX-SIN flight had the same issue. Boarding door 1L was asked to produce my bp..i said seat 4e...sir may i see your bp...rolled eyes as previous 4 pax were not asked...then saw my bp with 1k on it...said it is a security messure to ensure you boarded the correct flight. So not only was i profiled, but my intelligence was questioned. The second FA saw the exchange and saw the 1k bp from afar. I think he saw my reaction to the security comment, so welcomed me by offering a beverage right then and there. Glad the first FA was not serving me.rest of flight was great and they had hot bites!

It's a customer service industry...just some employees ignore the customer part.
Loren Pechtel and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Had this happened to me in SFO. Not by UA rep, but from custom agent after picking up luggage from carousel in intl arrival. Being Chinese, another Chinese agent walked up to us asked us about bringing food. We said NO and she write some letters on the paperwork. All of us went through screening again and luggage on a search. We told the agents we flown for 20 years and never brought food back. We travel enough to cut food cravings and have no need to bring food to USA. Pathetic and a waste of time by your own people profiling you.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
I think age/dress profiling is the issue.
It could in fact be the passenger's age or how he/she is dressed. It could also be race. I'm puzzled as to why so many people want to conclude that it is not race, when there is a 1 in 3 chance it could be.
muji and axck like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
It could in fact be the passenger's age or how he/she is dressed. It could also be race. I'm puzzled as to why so many people want to conclude that it is not race, when there is a 1 in 3 chance it could be.
Your implicit assumption is that all three of your possibilities are equally likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.