Routes featuring the B763 Polaris seats

Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
The difference is, the Polaris 763s have exactly the same seat count in J and Y as 2 class 763, so they can be swapped interchangeably. UA can't swap the 77W with any other aircraft without losing at least 10 J seats and 85 Y seats.
I'm curious for those of you who have experienced a swap, how do seats get re-assigned.

The seat number is not the same because one is 10 rows A DF L and the other is 6 rows AB D KL. 1-6, ADL match, but the others dont. On the polaris, every other is a "window"/"aisle"
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
I'm curious for those of you who have experienced a swap, how do seats get re-assigned.

The seat number is not the same because one is 10 rows A DF L and the other is 6 rows AB D KL. 1-6, ADL match, but the others dont. On the polaris, every other is a "window"/"aisle"
I don't know about the 763 but when it happens on the 3 class 772 switching to a reconfigured 772 then switching back to a 3 class 772 it becomes a mess especially because I made the mistake of choosing seat 3A on the reconfigured 772. The switching back assigned me seat 10A. I dislike window seats that are not also an aisle seat. And I really dislike being in the second Polaris Business cabin. But I expect more of these switches happening, hopefully without switch backs.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:25 am

767-300 - New versus old J configuration

Hi,
I'm sure that this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Is there a pattern for when the old versus new J cabin configurations are used? I"ll be flying between GVA-EWR/GVA-IAD in the coming months and it seems that both flight flip between the configurations. Not a big deal, but was wondering if there is a pattern. If there isn't, do you adjust your seat selection? I'm flying by myself, so go for the D seats on the old (2-1-2) configuration but would prefer A or L in the new (1-2-1) configuration. Last time I flew the route, I didn't know it was a new plane until check-in (and I could switch to an odd row L.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Is there a pattern for when the old versus new J cabin configurations are used?
Not really.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frontenac551
...I'm sure that this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Is there a pattern for when the old versus new J cabin configurations are used? I"ll be flying between GVA-EWR/GVA-IAD in the coming months and it seems that both flight flip between the configurations. ....
8 of 14 have been converted, 2 in process (it takes about a month), so the the odds are in favor of the new configuration and it gets better every month
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Being that the seat count is different on the 3 class 763s, it makes sense to keep them on dedicated routes, and the LHR routes are probably the only ones with enough service that could use all of the remaining 3 class planes.

From a business standpoint, it actually makes sense to hold of on a promise [of Polaris seats] that could be broken and there is no cost [revenue loss] of not promising such.

If they decide to continue with the conversions of the 763s and do the two class planes after the three class planes are complete, it would be easier operationally to offer a few dedicated routes after they get even more planes done, but I'm not expecting that to actually happen.
My first Polaris hard product flight was LHR-SFO on June 5. My next flight is SFO-HKG and NRT-SFO this month.

However, I have a few more LHR flights out of IAD/SFO/LAX/IAH and none of them are the hard product so not sure if my first experience was an anomaly (LHR flight I mean).

I enjoyed the seat as I had 1A. It was a daytime flight so did not try to sleep and for my next two flights I am trying 9A and 1L. I like the fact I can have a window seat and direct access to the aisle as I had moved to the center rows on the traditional aircraft as like the aisle access and without someone crawling over me, so on the 2-4-2 configuration I always select 6A. BTW - Y looked might cramped so looking forward to PE installation, albeit it is a 2-4-2 configuration.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My first Polaris hard product flight was LHR-SFO on June 5. My next flight is SFO-HKG and NRT-SFO this month.
You're talking about the 777s in a thread about the 763. :-:
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:29 pm

is there any more certainty about these routes? Looking at the last couple of weeks of flights I'm supprised it isn't being used on high $$$ routes like EWR-(LHR/ZRH)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by augs
is there any more certainty about these routes? Looking at the last couple of weeks of flights I'm supprised it isn't being used on high $$$ routes like EWR-(LHR/ZRH)
From the fleet update thread, it sounds like EWR &ORD-LHR, EWR-ZRH and EWR-GVA will get the high-J config, which means they will always have them. That would mean that outside of the 4-5 really old 763s that wont be retrofitted at all, the rest will have the new seats. Not sure what timeline is for completion, though.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

From the fleet update thread, it sounds like EWR &ORD-LHR, EWR-ZRH and EWR-GVA will get the high-J config, which means they will always have them.
Very happy for Swiss UA flyers!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

ORD-->LHR business class July 2019

I see UAL will use 767-300 for this route in July 2019 (2-1-2 configuration).

Any idea if this 767 will be converted to the 1-1-1 configuration by then?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pemarsh
I see UAL will use 767-300 for this route in July 2019 (2-1-2 configuration).

Any idea if this 767 will be converted to the 1-1-1 configuration by then?
All the three class 763's will be converted by then, the 2-class conversions will probably be starting at that point.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Uhhhh... is This Polaris?

I have a 763 from AMS-ORD Flight 908 with only a J cabin with rows 1-6. As I am not at all a seasoned star alliance flyer, and since everything is being called Polaris, Im confused what kind of plane Ill be gettig and where I should choose to sit?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
...Im confused what kind of plane Ill be gettig and where I should choose to sit?

Thanks
Its a 763. If the seat map shows single seats in the middle, those are the best IMHO. Nobody has to climb over you to get out and you dont have to climb over anyone to do the same.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 7, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
But what seat am I getting? The the old BusinessFirst seats from Continental? Are they the new Polaris seats? Also does anyone know if the center seats have air vents or just the side seats, or none at all?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.