Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us theyve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but itll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
Hot towels
Linen placement
Pre-meal beverage cart
Appetizer and salad cart
Bread and beverage refills
Entres
Bread and beverage refills
Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
Hot towels
Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure countrys pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. Whats changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) While well no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old May 27, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
The previous flight's supplies are left onboard when the crew deplanes. If catering doesn't get there in time and the previous flight was domestic, it's not uncommon to use some of those supplies for PDBs (this happens on domestic flights too). IME, liquor is offloaded at any station that would have Polaris service once catering does arrive.

Liability is a customs infraction, which can carry a monetary fine to the company and/or the individual. It's also a pain in the ... to deal with from what I've heard.

exUS flights are bonded carts, as are flights from Europe, Israel, India, GUM, and SIN. It turns out that flights from PEK/PVG/CTU, SYD/MEL, and the rest of the island hopper destinations aren't bonded, which is news to me, as I don't typically work those routes.
Hm! That flight I mentioned was ex-SFO. Not sure why catering would have deviated, then; don't think there was any departure delay, but perhaps there was a late inbound.

If the bonded cart ex-US were broken into pre-departure, would US customs be the authority? And presumably the reciprocal for ex-EU, etc. Just curious in case you know.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
- PDB water/OJ/sparkling from tray, plastic cups, other options proactively offered
- 1/2 carts in the aisle (no branded cover yet, as expected) for drink service with the main meal
- Bread basket is back with several passes (pretzel, garlic, white, multigrain)
- Salad/app trays served from carts in the aisle, entrees hand-run
- Packaged salad dressing served on the tray (not just oil/balsamic bottle)
- Same "Stash" tea varieties are provisioned, placed in silver bowl rather than box (I noticed on my last flight that the boxes weren't holding up well)
- Midflight snack display at bar/counter of 77W consisted of chips, chocolate bars, fruit and leftovers from the main service. No sandwiches/wraps or hot bites, as expected
- Pre-arrival service is the same, minus table linens, plus chocolates, no cookies yet
I did EWR-TXL yesterday. Noted some changes, mostly in line with what's above, but in addition:
- Pre-arrival breakfast was served with croissant on tray (no cinnamon bun option)
- Cookie was included on pre-arrival tray
- Cheese and sundae were served at the same time, off of a cart. On previous flights cheese flight was offered first and then sundae. Appreciated this change as it shortened the dinner service a bit.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not a fan of losing the wine flights, FWIW.

Also, the meal I just had was worse than anything from domestic F... usually, I'm happy (albeit not thrilled) with J food, but this "chicken" was basically chunks of fatty skin and gristle in sauce. But that's food for another thread (I don't blame it on "enhancements" per se),
Old May 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: None anymore
So wine flights are gone-gone now? As in, you can't even request the metal wine flight thingy and tasters?
Old May 28, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
So wine flights are gone-gone now? As in, you can't even request the metal wine flight thingy and tasters?
Weren't available on my last two Polaris flights, and they were rumored to be in the block. FAs will let you try different wines of course, but the flight was a nice touch.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by warrenw
The wine trays are gone, FAs will pour you a flight if you ask but no proactive offering.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Not a fan of losing the wine flights, FWIW.

Also, the meal I just had was worse than anything from domestic F... usually, I'm happy (albeit not thrilled) with J food, but this "chicken" was basically chunks of fatty skin and gristle in sauce. But that's food for another thread (I don't blame it on "enhancements" per se),
That chicken dish (assuming it was the Thai one with the noodles and lime) is actually one of my favorites. It's nice to have something with a bit of spice and flavor, rather than just a flavorless pile of vegetables and overcooked piece of meat/fish. Not as good as the chicken curry I had out of SIN however.

The wine trays are gone, FAs will pour you a flight if you ask but no proactive offering.
Is this as of 5/1? I had a wine flight (with tray) on my SFO-SIN flight mid-April. I didn't order it as a "flight" but just said I'd like to try a couple of the wines before settling on one and that's what I ended up with.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Just off SYD-IAH, food good, hot options of fish n chips or grilled cheese. No wine flights.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; May 28, 2018 at 7:47 pm Reason: autocorrect
Old May 28, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
There's really not much difference between the catering and service flow on international vs. premium transcontinental now ...
Old May 28, 2018, 6:13 pm

Weren't available on my last two Polaris flights, and they were rumored to be in the block. FAs will let you try different wines of course, but the flight was a nice touch.

Ah thanks guys for the info. I'm flying with my girlfriend to meet the parents and she was wanting to do the wine flight she read about, I'll just tell her to ask to sample some.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
That chicken dish (assuming it was the Thai one with the noodles and lime) is actually one of my favorites. It's nice to have something with a bit of spice and flavor, rather than just a flavorless pile of vegetables and overcooked piece of meat/fish. Not as good as the chicken curry I had out of SIN however.
This was "wine-marinated chicken thigh with abalone mushrooms." It was horrid; there was not much flavor, and the meat was something I think a pet food factory would turn away. I used the entirety of the pepper on it, and a good bit of salt, just to make it slightly palatable.

Originally Posted by GBadger
Is this as of 5/1? I had a wine flight (with tray) on my SFO-SIN flight mid-April. I didn't order it as a "flight" but just said I'd like to try a couple of the wines before settling on one and that's what I ended up with.
Yes. I had the flights in early April. Also no chocolate with PDB any longer (did have ti with pre-arrival breakfast? weird).
Old May 28, 2018, 7:36 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
No question that J pricing (to Asia) has increased dramatically since the 747's went off-line and the Polaris product has been cut back to nothing but a better seat and blanket, but I'm only 5'8" and 165lbs. The economy pricing remains cheap, at least to/from Asia, Europe was/is always expensive, for my schedule anyways. I flew a leg from BOS to TPE 10 days ago, $4.6K in J and $0.5K in upgradable coach. Guess which I chose, being a Yankee, but my GPU did come through, so I saved $4K!! I do love it when that happens.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Yes. I had the flights in early April. Also no chocolate with PDB any longer (did have ti with pre-arrival breakfast? weird).
PDB chocolates have been replaced with either pre-landing choclates (flights TO US) or pre-landing cookie (fights ex-US).
Old May 29, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
No question that J pricing (to Asia) has increased dramatically since the 747's went off-line and the Polaris product has been cut back to nothing but a better seat and blanket, but I'm only 5'8" and 165lbs. The economy pricing remains cheap, at least to/from Asia, Europe was/is always expensive, for my schedule anyways. I flew a leg from BOS to TPE 10 days ago, $4.6K in J and $0.5K in upgradable coach. Guess which I chose, being a Yankee, but my GPU did come through, so I saved $4K!! I do love it when that happens.
I'm the opposite direction, and my fares are rarely over $2.5k (P). My upgradable coach fares however are always over $1k.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Flew UA941 LHR to EWR last night in Polaris. Pre-departure drinks came on a tray offering water, bubbly or OJ, I asked for and got diet coke, wife asked for and got ginger ale. "Only" two blankets and one pillow and that was fine with me. Dinner has regressed to a hair above what the have in coach. It looks nicer but it was still inedible. Dinner entree was dried out "grilled" chicken over a bed of crunchy rice....it was supposed to be a bed of rice and I am not sure if it was under cooked and never puffed or over cooked and dried out so my dinner became an ice cream sundae. Pre-landing "meal" was salty, fatty, "Italian" deli meats and some salad with cheese......ate least the salad and cheese were edible. The good news is we left early, arrived early and it was smooth across the pond and I got in a nice nap..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.