Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us theyve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but itll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
Hot towels
Linen placement
Pre-meal beverage cart
Appetizer and salad cart
Bread and beverage refills
Entres
Bread and beverage refills
Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
Hot towels
Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure countrys pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. Whats changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) While well no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 2018, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catocony
Kacee, would you rather have the option for a sandwich instead of nothing?
Fine with me. I've never opted for one of those. And I disagree with "nothing." They still offer hot options on the longer flights and I've never been refused when I've asked for one (though I agree, it would be better if they were proactively offered).

In fact, don't recall ever going hungry on a UA long-haul flight. I typically skip the arrival meal because I've eaten too much already.

Originally Posted by catocony
This is just more proof that Polaris is just a marketing term, not a new level of service. Conited management is happy to finally get rid of First class, but instead of Polaris being a an upgrade from decent Business class to something approaching First, it's just another flavor of regular international Business.
Polaris has always just been a brand, same as "BusinessFirst" or "DeltaOne." One of the frustrations of FT is that people often treat minor changes to service the same as major reductions. This one falls in the latter category, not the former.

btw - want to talk about crappy business class product? I'm in the SIN SKL right now and there is no food on offer at 4:39 a.m. Literally nothing.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
This should be merged with existing thread. [Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

I was never a fan of the "sandwiches and wraps" as business class snacks. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

On LAX-SIN May 3, there were (in addition to the cup of noodles) two hot options: the grilled cheese and tomato soup, or a korean beef with rice.
Actually, I prefer the cold sandwich wraps which are put out for self service and this is smelling like another ridiculous cost slashing routine, on par with such nonsense as no Diet Sprite or Tomato juice?? What is this moron Kirby smoking? If I am paying a business class fare, I don't expect nor appreciate to be nickel and dimed on the product (especially when I could get a vastly better experience elsewhere). This whole thing about hidden or stealth amenities such as hiding pillows, pads and pajamas, or pretending the hot bites don't exist, just makes the entire Polaris product look like a washed-up has-been. The seat is already way behind the times, the catering is barely passable at best, no more arrival showers except SFO, and without a competitive soft product, what exactly is the value proposition of Polaris anyway?

I guess I can establish my own value proposition going forward - Polaris is for GPUs and ANA, or shockingly Air Canada, can get my cash when I buy business.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Deja vu. This may be the time to start bringing one's own limes, if gin tonics are to be enjoyed.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
PDB Changes?

UA31 MUC-EWR today... PDB was tray of "Champagne", OJ, or water.

I asked for a glass of white wine.

First FA told me they didn't have time (!) (I was first on the plane, and was sat for more than 20 minutes before we moved).

Second FA told me first that they didn't have access, then seemed to change her mind and said that there was a new policy that PDB was only the three items mentioned above.

I asked when this policy had started, and was told May.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yes, it was announced awhile back and discussed in the following thread:

Old May 24, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

But it says 'other beverages available upon request' and it certainly sounds like the Original Poster requested an 'other beverage'.
Halo117 and SkiPremier like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Polaris flight last night. No desserts or ice cream sundaes catered other than the plated cheesecake used on domestic flights. No breakfast catered other than prepackaged muffins. The menu listed sundaes and desserts as well as two breakfast options. Also, individual water bottles were not catered. Great crew and they were embarrassed by so many catering mishaps.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Polaris flight last night. No desserts or ice cream sundaes catered other than the plated cheesecake used on domestic flights. No breakfast catered other than prepackaged muffins. The menu listed sundaes and desserts as well as two breakfast options. Also, individual water bottles were not catered. Great crew and they were embarrassed by so many catering mishaps.
Sigh. Will they learn from their mistake?
Old May 24, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
UA31 MUC-EWR today... PDB was tray of "Champagne", OJ, or water.

I asked for a glass of white wine.

First FA told me they didn't have time (!) (I was first on the plane, and was sat for more than 20 minutes before we moved).

Second FA told me first that they didn't have access, then seemed to change her mind and said that there was a new policy that PDB was only the three items mentioned above.

I asked when this policy had started, and was told May.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Originally Posted by AugustusM
But it says 'other beverages available upon request' and it certainly sounds like the Original Poster requested an 'other beverage'.
I have had liquor served as PDB, but it surely sounded as though the FA was scrounging in the leftover cater from the previous flight and not permitted to open the new cart until we were in the air.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I had my first post-May 1 Polaris flight yesterday. Not much of a difference in terms of service flow or time, but I enjoyed a very pleasant crew FRA-EWR.

- PDB water/OJ/sparkling from tray, plastic cups, other options proactively offered
- 1/2 carts in the aisle (no branded cover yet, as expected) for drink service with the main meal
- Bread basket is back with several passes (pretzel, garlic, white, multigrain)
- Salad/app trays served from carts in the aisle, entrees hand-run
- Packaged salad dressing served on the tray (not just oil/balsamic bottle)
- Same "Stash" tea varieties are provisioned, placed in silver bowl rather than box (I noticed on my last flight that the boxes weren't holding up well)
- Midflight snack display at bar/counter of 77W consisted of chips, chocolate bars, fruit and leftovers from the main service. No sandwiches/wraps or hot bites, as expected
- Pre-arrival service is the same, minus table linens, plus chocolates, no cookies yet

Ayala Brut Majeur NV was the Champagne pour, which I rate favorably. About the same price point as usual.

Overall, it's still a perfectly adequate business class service. In my view, these 'enhancements' are all labor-related. United staffs the 77W with fewer flight attendants than the 747, including one purser, rather than two (which was a holdover from the Pan Am days). I assume there was considerable grumbling from the flight attendants when the Polaris service rolled out, complaining about greater workload with no additional pay or increased staffing. Rather than add positions, United 'streamlined' the service, which delivers substantially the same product to customers but reduces the number of FA trips to the galley during the main service and a lower workload afterward. There's still plenty of food for an ~8h TATL crossing. I would hope that hot bites and more substantial snacks are still provisioned for the ultra long hauls, which now go 8-10 hours between 'formal' services.

What was the route?
narvik likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
What route were you on?
Old May 24, 2018, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
From my post in another thread:
You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.

The feedback I've gotten from crews is that it does help having the suggestion of the three, and there are few orders for anything else. Waste so far has been minimal.
And yes, it was champagne the last time I worked (I'm on vacation ), not Prosecco or Cava. Still no word back from the tower about my question.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
From my post in another thread:

You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.

The feedback I've gotten from crews is that it does help having the suggestion of the three, and there are few orders for anything else. Waste so far has been minimal.
And yes, it was champagne the last time I worked (I'm on vacation ), not Prosecco or Cava. Still no word back from the tower about my question.
Thanks for resurfacing—missed your other post. That helps explain what the FA intimated to me when serving liquor apparently after this change. Is the previous flight's liquor / beer cater usually left on board; or would it typically be offloaded, at least at a facility with full catering?

Beyond deviation from policy and procedure, what liability would be incurred by opening the new cart before takeoff? Municipal alcohol taxation? Licensing?
Old May 27, 2018, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks for resurfacingmissed your other post. That helps explain what the FA intimated to me when serving liquor apparently after this change. Is the previous flight's liquor / beer cater usually left on board; or would it typically be offloaded, at least at a facility with full catering?

Beyond deviation from policy and procedure, what liability would be incurred by opening the new cart before takeoff? Municipal alcohol taxation? Licensing?
The previous flight's supplies are left onboard when the crew deplanes. If catering doesn't get there in time and the previous flight was domestic, it's not uncommon to use some of those supplies for PDBs (this happens on domestic flights too). IME, liquor is offloaded at any station that would have Polaris service once catering does arrive.

Liability is a customs infraction, which can carry a monetary fine to the company and/or the individual. It's also a pain in the ... to deal with from what I've heard.

exUS flights are bonded carts, as are flights from Europe, Israel, India, GUM, and SIN. It turns out that flights from PEK/PVG/CTU, SYD/MEL, and the rest of the island hopper destinations aren't bonded, which is news to me, as I don't typically work those routes.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:44 pm

SFO-ICN Saturday in Polaris. Pre board drink was tray of Champagne or water but was asked if I wanted anything else. Asked for Tomato juice and was bought back a spicy one with the comment that Tomato Juice wasn't available. Mid flight self service snacks were fruit, cup o noodles and various chips etc. Didn't ask for anything hot but my seatmate got what looked like a grilled cheese.

As an aside I had the Korean short rib as my main selection and it looked like something out of a microwave meal box. The soup on arrival however was delicious and presented well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.