Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us theyve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but itll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
Hot towels
Linen placement
Pre-meal beverage cart
Appetizer and salad cart
Bread and beverage refills
Entres
Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
Hot towels
Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure countrys pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. Whats changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) While well no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by smg77
This past Friday on a transatlantic Polaris flight, an FA told me mattress pads are boarded for first only, not business.
Old news... both premium cabins on three-class flights are provisioned with mattress pads, though F has enough for each seat. The original post-merger GlobalFirst product had mattress pads in F only.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I concur with what you're saying. Once more Polaris lounges open up
I have little faith this is ever going to happen and it's so late, it really won't matter because the product on board the plane will be back to one thin blanket and food that will be rolled back even further because - hey, there are lounges.

First thought was - has hell frozen over ?
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: None anymore
I wonder if the SFO lounge will be open by June 12th?

Rhetorical, guys...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by schley
IMO let's continue to keep UA on their toes with our voice about the displeasure of the length of rollout of plane conversions and lounges. However, let's also realize that the new seat is very good and the new lounges are very good..
Well, yes....except, I'm not going to rate an airline on services available only to 5% of its J flyers, but rather on those services available to the remaining 95% of J flyers. Just like I wouldn't rate anything based on a pilot study, which is what this continues to feel like -- one Polaris lounge? One??!
If United ever completes Polaris rollout across the fleet, then we can talk.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by warrenw
I wonder if the SFO lounge will be open by June 12th?

Rhetorical, guys...
The answers yes, if youre not fussy about which year.
rch4u, cfischer, spin88 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:27 pm

Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entres
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Hot bites will stay

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
airoli, Xyzzy, BigBossman and 1 others like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 23, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Some key points:

- Hot bites will stay

Yeah agreed no real major changes here that we didn't already know about. Will keep an open mind until we see it in May. I didn't even know there was a Bloody Mary cart to begin with. Thanks for the heads up EWR764
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware.
Thanks for sharing this. Ref the linens: "Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle." Something tells me this is not a result of passenger feedback.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Thanks for sharing this. Ref the linens: "Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle." Something tells me this is not a result of passenger feedback.
Nope... it is definitely less FA workload. UA has reduced staffing on some widebodies and flight attendants have been crowing about this for a while, so instead of adding positions, they are making the service less-demanding.

I'm sure it will speed up the service, which I am OK with on TATL, especially eastbound redeye... just finish the service and turn off the lights! TPAC or longer westbound TATL can sustain a 90 minute+ service, so hopefully the pace doesn't feel rushed.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Is there going to be a choice of apps and salad or is the cart more like...yes or no choice?

also i dont know what an informal mid snack looks like...the current setup didnt really look formal with saran wrapped items just near the door. I mean how less formal could it be? The hot bites weren't even advertised as i rarely saw uptake glad they are staying but is this going to be FT hunting routes?

Last edited by Halo117; Mar 23, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And some of these changes are positive . . . some of the original Polaris service items were not especially well thought-through. Let's just hope they keep the bedding and related items!

Originally Posted by Halo117
also i dont know what an informal mid snack looks like...the current setup didnt really look formal with saran wrapped items just near the door. I mean how less formal could it be? The hot bites weren't even advertised as i rarely saw uptake glad they are staying but is this going to be FT hunting routes?
​​​​​​​I think they mean no menu and no defined service. Basically on request.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us theyve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but itll be delivered in a more efficient way.

Pre-departure
Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
Hot towels
Linen placement
Pre-meal beverage cart
Appetizer and salad cart
Entres
Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
Individual water bottles with hang tags
Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
Hot towels
Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
Breads and pastries

A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure countrys pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

A:
Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. Whats changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?

A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers requests to sample select wines.

Mid-flight service (when available)
While well no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

Cart covers Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

Some key points:

- Hot bites will stay

Thanks for posting.

I think I prefer chocolate on departure (minor).

What is the 'formal presentation of mid-flight snacks'? No more silver tray?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'm glad they're keeping the hot bites! Though I'm confused as to what length flights have to be to have them, will SFO-LHR/FRA/MUC still have them? I think I didn't see them on the menu on my last SFO-LHR
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I'm flying SIN-LAX April 30th, arriving April 30th in LAX with the date line change. Assuming this will not impact me , as I'm squeezing in a day early?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:08 pm

Im disappointed about the removal of the wine tasting arches. I really liked that feature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.