Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us theyve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but itll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
Hot towels
Linen placement
Pre-meal beverage cart
Appetizer and salad cart
Bread and beverage refills
Entres
Bread and beverage refills
Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
Hot towels
Pre-arrival tray setup with entre and choice of beverage
Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure countrys pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. Whats changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) While well no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service Were removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Will you get those items if you ask, gel pillow, matress pad and PJs? When to ask? When boarding, after meal service?

I suppose PJs are one size fits all? I am a size large. Not sure if I should ask for PJs.
The PJs come in Medium and Large. The Medium fits me (5'10" and average weight) just fine. The Large is very soupy on me.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:46 pm

The cold bit cart has also gotten very sad lately. I tray of bad sandwhich WS, left over pastures tossed in, and a bucket of chips.

often with a crew avoiding eye contact when I go back there
schley likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jp12687
The cold bit cart has also gotten very sad lately. I tray of bad sandwhich WS, left over pastures tossed in, and a bucket of chips.

Yes, it's worse than it was pre-Polaris. They used to have chips, cookies (Walkers, Milanos), fruit, and sandwiches.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, it's worse than it was pre-Polaris. They used to have chips, cookies (Walkers, Milanos), fruit, and sandwiches.
i would love a cookie option.

I would also also like the option of another cheese plate or a hummus and pretzel type option

also the timing of said said cold bite is kinda bad.

On an US-EU flight they feed you 2 full means in 7.5-8 hours. on EWR-HKG 16 hour flight you get 2 meals. One right away after take off and one an hour or so before landing.

They don't put the cold bite cart out until about 7-8 hours into the flight and then often have it closed up by 3 hours left....also know as the time most people nap.

I'd prefer to see the food cart (be better) and go out about 90 min after the first meal service. The meal service is only blah-- i often don't eat the salad (why cant they just do a normal salad? why try to be fake fancy?) and its never very filling.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by jp12687

The snack cart yesterday consisted of a fruit and snack-sized bags of pretzels. Nothing more.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This may start a panic...

Anyone notice that the bedding is no longer mentioned in the menu. Used to be in the fine print.

Over / under on the extra bedding going away.

Separately, parents who had never flown the AA 773 or 'real' Polaris tried both on a recent trip. They were strongly in favor of Polaris in terms of comfort, ergonomics, quality - though neither of them knew about the extra bedding.
my parents also flew the aa 77w and United 77w on the same trip, in J. They also preferred Polaris, mainly due to the couple seats.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This may start a panic...

Anyone notice that the bedding is no longer mentioned in the menu. Used to be in the fine print.

Over / under on the extra bedding going away.

Separately, parents who had never flown the AA 773 or 'real' Polaris tried both on a recent trip. They were strongly in favor of Polaris in terms of comfort, ergonomics, quality - though neither of them knew about the extra bedding.
Its only a matter of time, IMO.

The dilution of the Polaris product was completely predictable, so nobody should be surprised by it at all, but the pace at which it has been stripped down is most surprising to me. Even Jeff Smisek would blush at Kirbys efficiency in doing so.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
The dilution of the Polaris product was completely predictable, so nobody should be surprised by it at all, but the pace at which it has been stripped down is most surprising to me. Even Jeff Smisek would blush at Kirbys efficiency in doing so.
To some degree, the soft product improvements were undoubtedly intended to make up for the very limited availability of Polaris hard product (seats and lounges) at roll-out. It's unfortunate that they're now cutting soft product despite the still extremely limited availability of the hard product.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:10 am

It's quite disappointing, but I guess you get what you pay for. I found a PEK-ORD in P for $2300. Ok, that's worth the horrid Polaris product and I paid out of pocket versus my normal G fare for personal travel. But my work trips where my budget is much larger, I'm tempted to give DL a try. It's been a few years since I was on them. I"m just not sure if I want to lose the PQD which I would need to requal for GS. But at some point, GS isn't worth the horrid product, right? My cousin just flew in to PEK on DL and she talked about the warm towel she got...in economy!!!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
It's quite disappointing, but I guess you get what you pay for. I found a PEK-ORD in P for $2300. Ok, that's worth the horrid Polaris product and I paid out of pocket versus my normal G fare for personal travel. But my work trips where my budget is much larger, I'm tempted to give DL a try. It's been a few years since I was on them. I"m just not sure if I want to lose the PQD which I would need to requal for GS. But at some point, GS isn't worth the horrid product, right? My cousin just flew in to PEK on DL and she talked about the warm towel she got...in economy!!!
See if a TA can construct a routing for you on ANA, assuming the same P fare. I believe you will still get your PQD for UA, and a much better overall product on ANA (although I think the Polaris seat is much better than the ANA seat, while ANA has vastly superior service and soft product).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by bocastephen
See if a TA can construct a routing for you on ANA, assuming the same P fare. I believe you will still get your PQD for UA, and a much better overall product on ANA (although I think the Polaris seat is much better than the ANA seat, while ANA has vastly superior service and soft product).
He needs the PQD to maintain GS, so this doesn't help him at all since it's not UA metal.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
FYI, hot bites are still available on westbound early AM TATL flights to the East Coast. With the initial Polaris menu changes, earlier flights (before 10am) are catered with breakfast entrees rather than lunch/dinner, so the hot bites are a decent pick if you arent into eggs, French toast or a European breakfast.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
He needs the PQD to maintain GS, so this doesn't help him at all since it's not UA metal.
PQD is earned on NH segments, I just earned a bunch on my last few trips, but on 016 stock. Two options we can try, and I can help the OP if I know their travel dates - first, we look for P space on NH operated UA codeshare, but that is often hard to find, or second, we do UA on the outbound in Polaris then back via NRT using NH on both return segments, but it adds a connection on the way home which may or may not be worth it to get the better inflight experience.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by bocastephen
PQD is earned on NH segments, I just earned a bunch on my last few trips, but on 016 stock. Two options we can try, and I can help the OP if I know their travel dates - first, we look for P space on NH operated UA codeshare, but that is often hard to find, or second, we do UA on the outbound in Polaris then back via NRT using NH on both return segments, but it adds a connection on the way home which may or may not be worth it to get the better inflight experience.
I think poster is eluding to the school of thought that non-UA metal pqd likely don't count towards GS qualification.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
I think poster is eluding to the school of thought that non-UA metal pqd likely don't count towards GS qualification.
Ah, I was not aware of that restriction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.