Best route - SFO to Sao Palo?

Old Feb 6, 18, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Best route - SFO to Sao Palo?

Any thoughts on the best route from SFO to GRU. I am flying paid business. Looks like the fasted approach is connecting through IAH - which is a 767 - is there anyway to tell if its a new Polaris install or the old business class product? Any other routes people might suggest? Willing to travel a bit longer if it means a better C product. Also willing to use miles to upgrade from C to F if warranted.... thanks everyone!
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
I'm honestly not sure of the exact numbers and don't care to look them up (on how often the retrofitted 76s are flying IAH-GRU and back), but if you have a chance of Polaris IAH-GRU, it's currently less than 50%. The 767-300 fleet is not fully retrofitted, and depending on when you fly I doubt it'll be 50% or more by the time you fly.

Keep in mind that even if you do not get the seat, IAH may or may not have a Polaris Lounge (due Summer 2018, but who knows) by the time you fly. Again, the longer you wait here the more likely it is you'll get the seat+lounge.
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
ORD-GRU and use a GPU to go in F.
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I traveled IAH-GRU in an older plane and service was just acceptable. I wasn't that impressed with anything at all ORD has service and a Polaris Lounge so that may be better (not sure of the equipment though) enjoy! Safe travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Feb 6, 18 at 10:28 pm
Old Feb 6, 18, 8:29 pm

I'd assume it will be the old 767 business seats. If you can get the single seat in the middle that is a good get. Otherwise, I prefer the seats on the 777 to the 767 if I can get an aisle on the window side of the plane (i.e. not the middle section). The footwells are bigger and I like the ability to sleep backwards. So I'd probably go ORD-GRU if i couldn't get the single seat out of IAH. You can also check out the polaris lounge at ORD. Depending on how many miles you have, i'd consider upgrading via ORD to F. Definitely a step up from both business class products in terms of sleep comfort.

I used to like the LAX-GRU solution on AA but they have changed the time on that flight so it leaves much earlier, making it harder to fall asleep.

I suppose if comfort was your number one consideration, the most comfortable ride would be SFO-JFK-GRU on AA, which would be an international business class seat to JFK and what i consider AA's best business class seat on their 77W. But the extra time to JFK would not be worth it to me.

Last edited by boolean64; Feb 6, 18 at 8:38 pm
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I'll echo most of what others have been saying. I don't like the current 767 business class seat, so if going in the early part of the year then I'd go via ORD and if going in the later part of the year, I might consider IAH. They do seem to be making some progress on the 763's, so hopefully later in the year most of them will be done.
Old Feb 6, 18, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
ORD-GRU tends to be the 3-cabin 777. Book J and GPU to F.
Old Feb 6, 18, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'd do SFO-EWR-GRU with EWR-GRU in F for the best ride the whole way. The EWR-GRU route has been running the 3-class 772 for a while.
Old Feb 7, 18, 5:48 am

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Another option, but may not be attractive based on your preferences, is IAD. Currently using the 788 (no F) on the IAD-GRU route.

The Polaris lounge at EWR may or may not be open in June, supposed to oprn in second quater.
Old Feb 7, 18, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Echo the sentiment shared by others on SFO-ORD-GRU with a GPU into F. I recently did EWR-ORD-GRU in F and I thought it was worth it to try the Polaris lounge. The late departure to GRU from ORD means the Polaris lounge should be relatively empty.
Old Feb 7, 18, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MrZhu View Post
Any thoughts on the best route from SFO to GRU. I am flying paid business. Looks like the fasted approach is connecting through IAH - which is a 767 - is there anyway to tell if its a new Polaris install or the old business class product? Any other routes people might suggest? Willing to travel a bit longer if it means a better C product. Also willing to use miles to upgrade from C to F if warranted.... thanks everyone!
When you say paid business, are you going to pay the C, D or J fare class or the discounted P or Z fare class? Because if it's P or Z, you will not be able to use GPUs to upgrade to F as suggested by others.
Old Feb 7, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Best way? SFO-LAX-GRU on AA.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrZhu View Post
There is a run from IAD to GRU, which is not so bad. I tend to prefer the return to IAH though. However, UA likes to run the "dirty birds" on that route. Older 767's. Filthy, prone to mech delays and sometimes lacking in a full comparable C product to newer aircraft.
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
There is a run from IAD to GRU, which is not so bad. I tend to prefer the return to IAH though. However, UA likes to run the "dirty birds" on that route. Older 767's. Filthy, prone to mech delays and sometimes lacking in a full comparable C product to newer aircraft.
funny I never heard the term dirty Birds before when referring to an aircraft. But my flight from IAH– GRU is one of the dirty birds just a non-premium experience. Thanks for pointing that out and safe travels. I have flown through IAD as well and besides the customs clearance process everything went well on the flight
Old Feb 7, 18, 4:01 pm

Programs: *wood P, *alliance UA MM, AA Au (0.95MM)
If you sleep well on planes ...

Then ORD gives you the longest beauty rest almost 1/2 hour more

​​​​​​Plus customs on reentry seems best at ORD (easy and not a lot of flights landing at same time, but my recollection may be dated. I have sped thru faster enough to shower and take an earlier flight from ORD)
YMMV, of course.

That being said, AA via LAX gives an extra 2 hours+ of napping

Search this Thread
Search Engine: