Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with affordable routing to BCN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Need help with affordable routing to BCN

trying to get to BCN from ORD March 3-8 and the fares are ridiculous. Have looked at other cities in Europe from which we could take a low cost carrier. Not finding anything. Any brilliant ideas out there?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you looking at round-trip or one-way fares? Most of the full service carriers do not offer discount one-ways to Europe.

I do see $419 one-ways on B6/TP (Jet Blue/TAP) via JFK and LIS. That's really not a bad price.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Google Flights shows $694 on TK via IST as the cheapest *A option, though the timing of flights might not be great. Best UA option I see would be to leave 3/2 instead of 3/3, and go via EWR ($916).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyertalkdec
trying to get to BCN from ORD March 3-8 and the fares are ridiculous. ....
What cabin?
What's a reasonable fare?
Why post in the UA forum? Are you looking for UA operated flights or *A flights or ???
And as asked earlier -- OW or RT?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the information lag! RT prefer UA for E+ seats - ar at least a fare that accumulates miles. Need to keep it under 1100. And need to arrive on the 4th. TIA
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry for the information lag! RT prefer UA for E+ seats - ar at least a fare that accumulates miles. Need to keep it under 1100. And need to arrive on the 4th. TIA
Suggest you use https://www.google.com/flights/
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
leave on the 2nd, take a super long layover? Tbh leaving the 3rd will suck because you won’t get the advantage of the cheap Saturday night stay that allows your fare to drop significantly for a roundtrip.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
If you can leave the night of the 7th and arrive back in the states on the 8th (or leave the night of the 8th and return on the 9th), there are a lot more possibilities. Best one I found:

3/3 2:25pm ORD-FRA-SOF 1:30pm UA 944 LH 1426, 6:45pm SOF-BCN 8:50pm W6 4405
3/7 9:30pm BCN-SOF 1:30am(+1) W6 4406, (3/8) 6am SOF-MUC-ORD 2:30pm LH 1707 UA 953

UA/LH cost: $691, W6 (Wizz Air) cost: $119
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Have you considered flying into MAD and taking the train to BCN?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
MWC starts on March 1 so you would expect flights to BCN to be outrageously expensive during that week.

In the past, I tried to route through LIS or ZRH or MAD, often making two connections each way from SFO. Once I flew into MAD and bought a separate ticket to BCN. Best to avoid this week unless you are going to MWC (over 100K people are expected to attend the event annually.) I am glad I don’t need to go this year.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
MWC starts on March 1 so you would expect flights to BCN to be outrageously expensive during that week. ....
Actual it ends on March 1
Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, 26 February – 1 March 2018.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has sub-$1000 fares on this route, but you need to leave on a Friday, not a Saturday, to meet the minimum stay requirements. When you depart on a Saturday, your arrival will be on a Sunday and you cannot return until the following Sunday in order to meet the min stay fare requirements.

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Sorry to break this to you, but wanting to book a {transatlantic flight} on {a specific carrier} on {a specific day} to {a specific city} under $1100 is probably not a realistic thing. None of the variables in brackets are particularly conducive to you getting what you want here. For the vast majority of people, getting cheap airline tickets is all about having flexibility in as many of those things as possible... that's what allows you to find the soft spot in demand that equates to cheap seats. Matrix - ITA Software by Google is the back-end for google flights, if you have the motivation to learn how you use that, it will certainly help you quickly search and filter down various constraints. Good luck, I think on this one you might need some. ;-)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My best suggestion is to leave a day earlier, and use the routing via EWR. Find somewhere cheap to stay in BCN on the 3rd.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA
trying to get to BCN from ORD March 3-8 and the fares are ridiculous. Have looked at other cities in Europe from which we could take a low cost carrier. Not finding anything. Any brilliant ideas out there?
846 RT in coach on Aer Lingus. You'll need to spend an overnight in Dublin on the way back. Basically half the price of United. And the same amount of stops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.