Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Fly UA Polaris Or LH Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
Well if you read my entire post you would notice that I said I was only talking about food. Of course everything else in LH F such as service, seat, etc is worlds better than UA. But LH J is not as great as UA J. Everything about it such as the seats where you play footsie, to the so-so service, and especially the awful food.
But Im not sure where you're getting the general consensus of LH J food being better than UA, as most things that I've read and experienced myself are quite the opposite. Their F food is better then what they offer in J, but still not too great IMO.
sorry, you are arguing UA J food is better than LH F? I guess that is your opinion, but if we run a poll right now ... let me predict ... 99% will disagree

I am flying TATL very regularly and LH J food on average is much better than UA. The booze is always much better. No one is arguing with the seat as long as we are talking PMCO seats. I don't like the LH J seat either.

LH F is better on every single aspect of the product, I have flown it 8 times last year and it consistently delivers an amazing experience.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
LH J seats are awful, feet right next to the person next to you. If you don't know them, prepare for some awkwardness when you inevitably bump knees. The IFE screen quality is poor too IMO. The food and service are better than UA, but I've had meals on UA comparable to LH J. I don't drink so I can't speak to alcohol.

If we're talking the new Polaris seats, take those and don't look back. If we're talking PMCO J seats, I'd take those over LH J too. PMUA J seats and LH J seats both suck IMO. I'd just pick the better flight times.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
LH service, new planes. Upgrade to F to experience a real first class
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Re: LH...just to reiterate something that someone noted above: the footsie problem is only present on some seats and on some planes. Check seat maps on any flight you're booking to be sure. To say "I can't fly LH J because of footsie" is kind of like saying "I can't fly UA J because of 4-across coffins".

I personally am almost exactly indifferent between LH J and UA J. For my purposes, both are fine -- I get edible food and a place to sleep that is vastly better than sitting up in Y but much worse than a Motel 6 bed. I'm close to million-miler status, so I choose UA when possible. But either choice is reasonable depending on personal tastes.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 77W routes are published and well known. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...re-routes.html
Page not found ... like every time I end up in a UA business cabin ... real Polaris not found.
Originally Posted by endrond
..To say "I can't fly LH J because of footsie" is kind of like saying "I can't fly UA J because of 4-across coffins"..
The 4 across coffins are everywhere ... unless you can avoid 777s. It's a very real threat IMO and an excellent reason to steer well clear of UA altogether.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by weero
The 4 across coffins are everywhere ... unless you can avoid 777s. It's a very real threat IMO and an excellent reason to steer well clear of UA altogether.
It is interesting that everyone praised these seats 11 years ago when they were introduced. UA can't just reconfigure the fleet overnight. I would prefer the 8 across seats in C (even a middle one) to an economy seat any day of the week.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
It is interesting that everyone praised these seats 11 years ago when they were introduced. UA can't just reconfigure the fleet overnight. I would prefer the 8 across seats in C (even a middle one) to an economy seat any day of the week.
While you certainly have a point ... I always hated them. I found the ancient recliners a lot better to read and work. Another reason why I am so pleased with Premium Economy.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Page not found ...
What are you talking about? The link is accurate.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... The 4 across coffins are everywhere ...
well, not quite 42 out of roughly 150 transoceanatic aircraft (not counting 752 used TATL or Hawaii aircraft) -- adjusting for capacity --- maybe 1/3th of the total capacity is and on those 772 sUA, the 4-cross is half the seats and the vile middle 2 is 1/3 of the aircraft's business cabin.

This varies based on route, as a 772 dedicated route is what it is but system-wide is far less of an issue. Looking at the remaining fleet there is still the issue of non-aisle for many seats.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
well, not quite 42 out of roughly 150 transoceanatic aircraft (not counting 752 used TATL or Hawaii aircraft) -- adjusting for capacity --- maybe 1/3th of the total capacity is and on those 772 sUA..
Well possible but am I correct in stating that the all-aisle-access business which I naively term as "true Polaris" only exists on the 777W? The 787s and 767s all have a more ancient climb-over business product.
I have never been on a UA 777W and hence would be unwilling to pay for the UA Biz seat.
Originally Posted by Kacee
What are you talking about? The link is accurate.
You are right ... it was a temporary thing.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:42 am

Well possible but am I correct in stating that the all-aisle-access business which I naively term as "true Polaris" only exists on the 777W? The 787s and 767s all have a more ancient climb-over business product.
I have never been on a UA 777W and hence would be unwilling to pay for the UA Biz seat.
This thread is about UA vs LH, both don't have all aisle access business seats.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[
]
.... The 4 across coffins are everywhere ...
well, not quite 42 out of roughly 150 transoceanatic aircraft (not counting 752 used TATL or Hawaii aircraft) -- adjusting for capacity --- maybe 1/3th of the total capacity is and on those 772 sUA , the 4-cross is half the seats and the vile middle 2 is 1/3 of the aircraft's business cabin.

This varies based on route, as a 772 dedicated route is what it is but system-wide is far less of an issue. Looking at the remaining fleet there is still the issue of non-aisle for many seats.
But your comment was about the 4 across coffins are everywhere.

This thread is about UA vs LH, both don't have all aisle access business seats.
Very true.

Althought some UA TATL aircraft are now starting to operate with all aisle access. Increased with the newly reconfigured 763s.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reason: 763 link
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:29 pm

Althought some UA TATL aircraft are now starting to operate with all aisle access. Increased with the newly reconfigured 763s.
I don't disagree with you, but the vast majority of planes right now don't have direct aisle access.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:43 pm

I don't disagree with you, but the vast majority of planes right now don't have direct aisle access.
No argument there but the situation is "starting" to change -- slowly for both carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.