Should I Fly UA Polaris Or LH Business

Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Oh did they do all the 744 conversions after they had received the 748s? Guess I'm not up to speed on LH fleet movements
The 748s were delivered with the new seat. The 744s were last to be converted. The process took several years.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seat38a
So lets talk about LH's business class food. Is it just me or is it a bit skimpy in quantity? From the pictures that I've seen, LH's food offerings seems subpar to what I had on Swiss last May.
I'm usually quite well-fed by the time I'm done with my cheese, but appetites may vary. My general reservations about LH J food stem more from the quality (the main is usually pretty mediocre), but UA isn't a whole lot better in that department and LH at least has decent cheese.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by S.R
LH J is very mediocre. The only time I would ever willingly choose it over UA J is if the UA aircraft was the 2-4-2 config. Even then, I always thought that LH food in both J and F was worse then UA. I now only fly LH when I know I’ll be in F. Not worth the gamble of their so-so J product.
I would stick with UA.
Originally Posted by malgudi
Huh???
I'm also confused. Do you mean you used to think LH J and F food was worse than UA, and now you know better that LH F is far superior to anything UA has to offer?

Otherwise, you need to clarify your statement, or else it would appear that you don't know what the hell LH F is all about. I agree that LH J is nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I flew LH on biz Iah-FRA last month on their 747 and OMG I was so disappointed.
The amenity kit TK gives in Y is superior to what they give in J. Businessfirst (R.I.P) would be better than LH J let alone Polaris.
The food and service of UA was much better. The only thing better with LH were the FAs but that's almost any airline!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
The biggest issues were with the ground staff and the Maple Leaf Lounge. Their boarding process is a joke which comes back around back to the nasty ground staff. I don't use the C word often but the gate agents that I dealt with at LAX deserved the C word X 10. Inflight its whatever. The business class flight attendant disappeared after the meal and only returned when the seatbelt sign for landing was turned back on. Pretty much everything negative the Air Canada flyers have posted here happened. I've never had such an apathetic crew before on mainline United as I did on Air Canada.

Naw, unless its intra California or to Nevada or Arizona, I usually fly out of LAX.

I really like this list. Hopefully by the time my trip comes around, more of the Polaris Lounges will be open as well. Just to clarify, my trip is for December of this year. The plan is to visit many of the Christmas markets while they are in full swing.

So lets talk about LH's business class food. Is it just me or is it a bit skimpy in quantity? From the pictures that I've seen, LH's food offerings seems subpar to what I had on Swiss last May.
I had the seabass and not only it was very bland in taste the portions were small too. I'll take P.S. flight food over LH J
seat38a likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would have never thought I am saying this:

UA 77W is better than LH 748 upper deck. LH sears lack of privacy.

I am am not impressed with LH J at all. I’d pick UA, OS and LX over LH.
seat38a likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
How about splitting the difference and doing LH ex-USA in part for the EU261 protection in case of IRROPS and UA on the return?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:46 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm also confused. Do you mean you used to think LH J and F food was worse than UA, and now you know better that LH F is far superior to anything UA has to offer?

Otherwise, you need to clarify your statement, or else it would appear that you don't know what the hell LH F is all about. I agree that LH J is nothing to write home about.
No, I mean that LH food in both J and F is inferior to what UA offers IMO. To be clear were only talking about food here. LH F is great and everything else about the experience is obviously worlds better then anything UA has to offer, and to be fair LH has amazing food in the FCT/FCL's. But onboard their food is just odd and generally not good. I haven't really flown LH J in a few years so can't comment on that, but I do fly LH F on about 8-10 sectors a year. My opinion remains the same. Have you seen the desserts? Sometimes they're just downright weird. And the appetizers as well. The only winning part about their onboard dining service is the caviar. Others of course may disagree, but I honestly think LH catering is just not good.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
..UA 77W is better than LH 748 upper deck. LH sears lack of privacy.
I have never encountered the true Polaris as advertised ... all Polaris 777 products I have encountered in 2017 are of the revolting 2-4-2 arrangement with the narrow coffins involving a lot of climbing. I personally would not take the risk to hope to actually end up on one of these magical new Polaris configurations, especially as UA makes an active effort to obfuscate the used configuration.

I'd follow in sequence of preference OS>LX>LH>UA.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well, based on what everyone has written, where is what I'm thinking, OS LX UA and LH ONLY if it is absolutely needed. Having flown UA (business first) and LX I did like their service. If I had to narrow it down even further, I'd say UA and OS are top contenders.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weero
I personally would not take the risk to hope to actually end up on one of these magical new Polaris configurations, especially as UA makes an active effort to obfuscate the used configuration.
The 77W routes are published and well known. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...re-routes.html
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
No, I mean that LH food in both J and F is inferior to what UA offers IMO.
This better be a joke. There is a general consensus that LH has better food/drinks in C ... let alone F where they are operating on a different planet compared to UA. UA wins on some of the seats and that's pretty much it IMO. Service is almost always much better on LH. Just flew MUC-BOS this week and the service was outstanding; better than anything I ever had on UA.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
This better be a joke. There is a general consensus that LH has better food/drinks in C ... let alone F where they are operating on a different planet compared to UA. UA wins on some of the seats and that's pretty much it IMO. Service is almost always much better on LH. Just flew MUC-BOS this week and the service was outstanding; better than anything I ever had on UA.
unfortunately not at all. UA businessfirst was and Polaris is FAR better than LH J I'm afraid. I was VERY disappointed. Just look at the photo of the runny sauce and vegetables I posted a few posts up. Seems like someone bought a lean cuisine and heated it. The bread selection was inferior. The dessert wasn't as good as UA's. And nothing to compare to the cheese and port of UA.
Portions were small so I asked for an extra entree and since it wasn't sold out they had extra ones to offer.
Anerican flyers always like to think grass is greener on the other side. Don't know why!
TK on the other hand was amazing!

Last edited by Bruin1K; Feb 4, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:38 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
Well if you read my entire post you would notice that I said I was only talking about food. Of course everything else in LH F such as service, seat, etc is worlds better than UA. But LH J is not as great as UA J. Everything about it such as the seats where you play footsie, to the so-so service, and especially the awful food.
But Im not sure where you're getting the general consensus of LH J food being better than UA, as most things that I've read and experienced myself are quite the opposite. Their F food is better then what they offer in J, but still not too great IMO.
UA_Flyer and Bruin1K like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
UA businessfirst was and Polaris is FAR better than LH J I'm afraid. I was VERY disappointed.
1 flight only?

I've flown a fair bit of LH long haul J and UA BF/Polaris over the past few years, and overall I slightly prefer the LH catering. I've had some terrible meals on UA, as well as some good ones. If I were judging UA long-haul meals based solely on one flight, don't think my conclusion would be particularly meaningful in terms of advising others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.