Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA
The GA Might be Awful

(excuse the throwaway account)

Last night at ORD, I arrived late at the gate, and entered the empty Zone 1 chute while Zone 4 was boarding. I was in F, and had paid $ for F. I was perfectly ready to lighten the awkwardness described on this thread with a random Zone 4 passenger.

Suddenly, the GA announced, over the loudspeaker no less: "We are boarding Zones 1 through 4 together in one line! Do not cut in line!"

I was utterly humiliated. One after another, Zone 4 pax taunted me as they passed me. I stood my ground, but didn't argue with the GA, until a Zone 4 pax let me through. By then my face was beet red. The GA was a complete jerk to me as I scanned my boarding pass.

I logged a complaint with UA. Not so much about the humiliation, but more about how This System Causes Confusion.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by throwaway_2019_03
(excuse the throwaway account)
Suddenly, the GA announced, over the loudspeaker no less: "We are boarding Zones 1 through 4 together in one line! Do not cut in line!"
That's ridiculous.
But yeah, not sure what can be done without starting an argument. I might have just conceded and stood in line 4...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The boarding process is only as good as the GA. I've noticed that a lot of BG1 people want to surge forward when "1K" is announced. I'm pretty sure these bozos think 1K stands for "First Klass". I rarely board early, but last night was one of the rare occasions (window seat) I do. GA called 1K and the entire BG1 line surged, cutting off 1Ks. We merged in amongst the line, getting dirty looks.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:12 pm

I can sympathize if the gate is understaffed, making 2-lane boarding a logistical challenge. However in this case the GA should say something like "we apologize that Premier Access boarding is not available right now, may we kindly request that all passengers board from a single line."

To a much lesser extent but still at ORD, I've also been "humiliated" at ORD. The pax that I "cut" in line did not say anything, but was aggressive on the jet bridge, standing beside me (instead of behind me like everyone else) and trying to elbow me out of the way.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:14 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Mark me down as another vote for the "Show up late, go the front of the empty BG1 line, politely wait for the GA to call me up" group. As others have said, it's a published benefit, United says it's okay, and I don't spend a lot of time stressing about how I'm perceived.

But... here's an edgier version of the question. Recently, I had a short connection because my first flight was delayed. Fastwalked all the way to the gate, arrived about 30 seconds after they started Group 1. Now, I've just gotten accustomed to the (relatively) new 1K preboarding -- which is to say I've stopped getting into the G1 line, and just wait for the "Preboarding 1Ks" call. So this time, without really thinking about it, I just walked straight up and basically cut the 1K line (which was pretty long).

Didn't get any pushback, but I'm still uncertain of whether I (a) just took a privilege I was entitled to, or (b) was a jerk. On one hand, if G1 can "cut" ahead of G2-5, then by analogy 1K/GS should be able to cut ahead of G1-5, right? On the other hand, I'm not convinced that "preboarding" trumps Group 1 in the same way that Group 1 trumps Group 2.

You know you're a FT member when this is the kind of thing that keeps you up at night...
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
But... here's an edgier version of the question. Recently, I had a short connection because my first flight was delayed. Fastwalked all the way to the gate, arrived about 30 seconds after they started Group 1. Now, I've just gotten accustomed to the (relatively) new 1K preboarding -- which is to say I've stopped getting into the G1 line, and just wait for the "Preboarding 1Ks" call. So this time, without really thinking about it, I just walked straight up and basically cut the 1K line (which was pretty long).
I have been on the receiving end of this. I received something more blatant, actually.

I was in the middle of the Group 1 line when a couple says "pardon me" in a very normal polite tone. I back up slightly to create a gap in front of me, thinking they were trying to walk by. Nope, they just lined up in front of me. I'm not sure if it was chutzpah or lack of awareness, but I didn't say anything, nor did anybody behind me.

Of course I wasn't exactly happy with the situation, but it didn't bother me for more than a second, which is remarkable given that I post about a lot of trivial encounters after the fact on FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:34 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by davie355
I have been on the receiving end of this. I received something more blatant, actually.

I was in the middle of the Group 1 line when a couple says "pardon me" in a very normal polite tone. I back up slightly to create a gap in front of me, thinking they were trying to walk by. Nope, they just lined up in front of me. I'm not sure if it was chutzpah or lack of awareness, but I didn't say anything, nor did anybody behind me.

Of course I wasn't exactly happy with the situation, but it didn't bother me for more than a second, which is remarkable given that I post about a lot of trivial encounters after the fact on FlyerTalk!
Now, that's just inexcusable. There's absolutely no reason or excuse for sliding into the middle of a line. We can debate (and wonder) whether somebody has the right to cut ahead of an entire group, but just sliding into the middle? Not cool.

Although I also decided a while back that the best way to win at air travel is to not get bent out of shape by anything if at all possible, so I'd say you won that experience.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
That's ridiculous.
But yeah, not sure what can be done without starting an argument. I might have just conceded and stood in line 4...
I might be a jerk, but I avoid these issues by just walking up the BG1 line if i arrive late and going directly to the scanner, cutting off anyone else who is in the general line. Yes, I get dirty looks, the odd comment (which I usually reply "Oh sorry, I didn't know you're also in first class" followed by an eye roll), but I've never had a GA push back and tell me join the back of a combined line. The GA in the post above needs to be written up for this, so I hope the OP files a complaint. The most proactive GAs will notice me walking up the BG1 line and physically stop anyone else from approaching the podium until I am clear - and that is how it should be.

United spends some degree of effort giving me the benefit, so guess what, I am going to use it.
chavala, 8MiHi and AugustusM like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I was utterly humiliated. One after another, Zone 4 pax taunted me as they passed me. I stood my ground, but didn't argue with the GA, until a Zone 4 pax let me through. By then my face was beet red. The GA was a complete jerk to me as I scanned my boarding pass.

I logged a complaint with UA. Not so much about the humiliation
Humiliated? I mean - "utterly" humiliated? Taunted by Zone 4 passengers? This sounds like a Game of Thrones episode with the crowd chanting "Shame"

We all have different definitions of humiliated, but for me personally, I can't imagine a boarding scenario would ever humiliate me. I'd just laugh it off.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by stefang
As 1K, I get to board United flights in Zone 1. Occasionally I arrive at the gate late, when another Zone is already boarding. In this case, I feel that I missed my chance to board Zone 1, and get in the line of the Zone currently boarding (e.g. 2, 3, 4, 5). Today, I saw other Zone 1 passengers, who after missing Zone 1 still made use of their privileges by cutting to the front of the line of Zone 3 passengers currently boarding - and felt this was somehow "awkward".

Would you consider it poor social etiquette in this situation to cut in front of passengers currently boarding, when you missed the chance to board with your Zone? (I am more interested in social norm & expectation than than United's written policicy)
No.

i spend enough money (technically my company did) for business and 1k status.

Therefore I deserved to have priority boarding.

You did pay to get that privilege.

I have always go to priority boarding side and get boarded immediately even though I wasn’t first one at gate or boarded at same zone.

Only twice other passenger had problems (once in Brussels and once in JNB). It was priceless when the gate agent said- he is traveling in business so he has priority boarding .

Again you paid with your time and money to get that 1k status. So don’t feel bad.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
You should not feel bad to - politely - line up at the front if you arrive late.

You should feel good about it.

Feel good that your travel class allows you to not have to queue.

I've travelled Y countless times, it's a given business tickets get to board before me, no hard feelings at all.

Ive slowly been able to get priority tickets more often, and when I do I try enjoy it to the fullest. There is no hard feelings towards the Y passengers either. I've been in those shoes many a time.

Self-important patronizing biz guy will be patronizing toward other biz passengers too. Obnoxious confrontational jaleous y pax will be obnoxious to y passengers too.

If you generally try to be mindful and considerate of those around you, relax, and dont feel bad about yourself!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:05 am Reason: editted for vulgar language
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I've travelled Y countless times, it's a given business tickets get to board before me, no hard feelings at all.
That's not a given on United. Since last year, First/Business Class passengers that are not GS or 1K get to board the flight in Boarding Group 1 which comes after the GS group and the 1K group. So, a GS or a 1K flying in Y can board before a First/Business Class passenger that has lower status. And the GS or 1K flying in First /Business Class can board the flight before a lower status passenger flying First/Business Class. United rewards the higher status members.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by QBK
Mark me down as another vote for the "Show up late, go the front of the empty BG1 line, politely wait for the GA to call me up" group. As others have said, it's a published benefit...
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I might be a jerk, but I avoid these issues by just walking up the BG1 line if i arrive late and going directly to the scanner, cutting off anyone else who is in the general line....
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
You should not feel bad to - politely - line up at the front if you arrive late....

Since post #46 was merged into this thread I can't tell if the above responses are to that post or this topic in general.
The issue described in post #46 is complicated by the GA. Said he/she: "We are boarding Zones 1 through 4 together in one line! Do not cut in line!"
This GA seemed quite content to start an argument, or to send back anyone positioning themselves in front of the currently boarding line.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
United rewards the higher status members.
Many carriers do this for their top tier elites, not just UA. As a J pax, I've recently waited for SQ PPS and NH Diamond pax to board first. On SQ, your boarding pass as a J pax will say "Boarding Group 2" (even on aircraft with no F cabin).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by QBK
Mark me down as another vote for the "Show up late, go the front of the empty BG1 line, politely wait for the GA to call me up" group. As others have said, it's a published benefit, United says it's okay, and I don't spend a lot of time stressing about how I'm perceived.

Didn't get any pushback, but I'm still uncertain of whether I (a) just took a privilege I was entitled to, or (b) was a jerk. On one hand, if G1 can "cut" ahead of G2-5, then by analogy 1K/GS should be able to cut ahead of G1-5, right? On the other hand, I'm not convinced that "preboarding" trumps Group 1 in the same way that Group 1 trumps Group 2.

You know you're a FT member when this is the kind of thing that keeps you up at night...
I believe the acceptable practice is all preboarding (GS/military/kids under 2/1K) works in effect only when it's announced. If G1 started boarding, the courteous thing to do is to board with G1.

Also, we need to stop calling the practice of boarding through the blue lane as cutting the line. It's a privilege/benefit bestowed by UA. If the GA can't work through the simplified process, then they should be written up for it. Just like when a GA decided to close the blue lane and forced everyone to board through the green lane - I walked up, undo the blocking, and board accordingly.
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.