Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mctaste
I am of the opinion that missing your boarding group does not entitle you to skip the now current line. Price you pay for tardiness, and the world needs more politeness.
That may be your opinion, but policy is Group 1 cam board anytime...even if it means skipping later group numbers that are boarding.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I do like being able to just show up at the gate when they're boarding groups 3 or 4 and head to front of the queue so I still don't need to worry about overhead bin space.
Perhaps greater than zero chance that there's still O/H bin space. But there's always the potential that by the time you arrive for boarding, most/all bin space is full.

David
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by airlineaddict
Really weird boarding experience this morning at John Wayne Airport (SNA).

Arrived at the gate as they announced the start of Group 2 boarding. When I went to the Group 1 lane it was cordoned off. I went to the front where the gate agent was to see if there was a different area to walk in. The agent said to walk through Group 1. I told her it was cordoned off. She didn’t believe me, so I repeated that it was cordoned off. She finally walked and saw that the belt was indeed up to prevent people from walking through. She let me in, but said I “missed my boarding” and that I should just line up with group 2.

Is this a new norm? I know... I feel entitled as a 1K.
Happened to me at SAN a couple of months ago and the GA told to go to the back of the BG currently boarding. The lane for BG1 was also cordoned off hence my question to the GA (like you).

I wonder if this policy is just for airports with the letters of A N S? 🤔
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
I am of the opinion that missing your boarding group does not entitle you to skip the now current line. Price you pay for tardiness, and the world needs more politeness.
I am not tardy until they close the door.
GUM_elite likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Happened to me at SAN a couple of months ago and the GA told to go to the back of the BG currently boarding. The lane for BG1 was also cordoned off hence my question to the GA (like you).

Can we get a report from Nassau, anyone?

I guess there won't be any from Talladega or Andahuaylas.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's rogue agents making up rules. UA is very poor at enforcing consistent application of rules among its customer facing staff, particularly its GAs.

Virtually all airlines have some sort of priority lane, and will accommodate late comers who are qualified to use it.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I wonder if this policy is just for airports with the letters of A N S?
Some one boarding at the Lynden Pindling International Airport should report back to prove/disprove your theory!

(oops, late to the party, fumje beat me to it! )
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I generally feel that if you're group 1 or 2 but get to the gate after they start, it is fine to get in your appropriate boarding lane and wait to be acknowledged by the GA. It's virtually impossible to get to the gate in time for preboarding when UA gives you a 55 minute connection at IAH or DEN that involves going from the end of one terminal to the end of completely different terminal.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I generally feel that if you're group 1 or 2 but get to the gate after they start, it is fine to get in your appropriate boarding lane and wait to be acknowledged by the GA. It's virtually impossible to get to the gate in time for preboarding when UA gives you a 55 minute connection at IAH or DEN that involves going from the end of one terminal to the end of completely different terminal.
Similarly at ORD. I will at times just board last but when I have wanted to board I have NEVER had push back from the GAs when I board through BG1 lane. Sometimes it may take a couple of minutes to get waved up but other than that nothing.
ContinentalFan and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Originally Posted by nomad420
Similarly at ORD. I will at times just board last but when I have wanted to board I have NEVER had push back from the GAs when I board through BG1 lane. Sometimes it may take a couple of minutes to get waved up but other than that nothing.
Perhaps the difference is that SNA and SAN are not hubs...although the policy certainly doesn't differentiate between hubs and non-hubs....
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Some one boarding at the Lynden Pindling International Airport should report back to prove/disprove your theory!

(oops, late to the party, fumje beat me to it! )
Late? You'll have to go to the back of the line to get in, then!
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by airlineaddict
Really weird boarding experience this morning at John Wayne Airport (SNA).

Arrived at the gate as they announced the start of Group 2 boarding. When I went to the Group 1 lane it was cordoned off. I went to the front where the gate agent was to see if there was a different area to walk in. The agent said to walk through Group 1. I told her it was cordoned off. She didn’t believe me, so I repeated that it was cordoned off. She finally walked and saw that the belt was indeed up to prevent people from walking through. She let me in, but said I “missed my boarding” and that I should just line up with group 2.

Is this a new norm? I know... I feel entitled as a 1K.
That's ... really odd. I flew out of SNA for a little over 3 years and never had a problem boarding despite my group already having been called.

I'm surprised you didn't just try to board outside of a lane as a 1K though? i.e. whatever the equivalent of "preboarding" is after boarding has commenced.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Odd indeed, I don't think I have ever heard missed myboarding. Another poorly trained GA is my guess.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.