Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I recommend calling the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 with your questions as the process can vary by flight depending on flight and destination.

If you’re indeed unable to check in online, you won’t be able to select an E+ seat at T-24, but you can call the premier line for this.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:52 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
the key point in your post is

I flew with him in a carrier

If the airlines would impose that as a condition for allowing emotional support animals to fly in the passenger cabin, that would be a vast improvement over dogs roaming free, even urinating and defecating, not to mention biting other passengers. So well done, you!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2019 at 2:14 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Mary2e

What do I lose from my lowly silver status?
  • I can't do online check in - they have to check to make sure the dog is alive (seriously a GA told me that) and that he doesn't weigh 100 pounds.
  • I'm not on the upgrade waitlist and can only be put there at the airport - if there's even an F seat available. Silvers clear at 24 hours, so it's not likely a seat will be available.
  • I MAY not be able to move to an E+ seat, though I'm not sure about that

You are correct, you cannot do online check-in nor can you do kiosk check-in. You must see an agent. Ask them to print the SSR coupon if they forget, and staple it to your dog's carrier. That's additional evidence the you've done everything by the book and acts as the equivalent of a boarding pass for your ESA.

You should flow to the upgrade list as usual. I have not had any issues getting upgrades when we had a booking with the ESA for my husband,.

I would suggest calling the Accessibility Desk at T-24 to request seat changes to get your Silver benefits. They answer quickly and are familiar with the rules, and will do what they can based on availability to help you with assignments. Note that you cannot sit in the exit row. You can sit in the bulkhead row (typically Row 7) if available. 7D/7E are usually blocked until T-24 unless taken by other accessibilities needs customers, so even though they will not show open on a seat map, you may find by calling that they are available once your check-in window opens.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by 1P
the key point in your post is

[/color]

If the airlines would impose that as a condition for allowing emotional support animals to fly in the passenger cabin, that would be a vast improvement over dogs roaming free, even urinating and defecating, not to mention biting other passengers. So well done, you!
You do realize that I'm talking about an 8lb dog who won't move off our laps, correct?

There is no way I would allow him to a) roam freely or b) relieve himself c) get close enough to another passenger as to bite (not that he has ever bitten anyone)

The point of my post was to point out everything that I will lose and to see if I would lose anything else, not to get bashed for following the rules and having a legitimate need.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
[/size]

You are correct, you cannot do online check-in nor can you do kiosk check-in. You must see an agent. Ask them to print the SSR coupon if they forget, and staple it to your dog's carrier. That's additional evidence the you've done everything by the book and acts as the equivalent of a boarding pass for your ESA.
Thank you. The one time we flew with him as an in-cabin pet, we got his boarding pass pretty quickly.
You should flow to the upgrade list as usual. I have not had any issues getting upgrades when we had a booking with the ESA for my husband,.
Unless something has changed since January, where we paid for our tickets, we were not placed on the upgrade list and were told it was due to the pet. We are on an award, and IIRC, we should be upgrade eligible, and are not on the list now either. That is, unless I'm completely confused with another set of rules.

I would suggest calling the Accessibility Desk at T-24 to request seat changes to get your Silver benefits. They answer quickly and are familiar with the rules, and will do what they can based on availability to help you with assignments. Note that you cannot sit in the exit row. You can sit in the bulkhead row (typically Row 7) if available. 7D/7E are usually blocked until T-24 unless taken by other accessibilities needs customers, so even though they will not show open on a seat map, you may find by calling that they are available once your check-in window opens.
I have spoken to them once, and will call at T-24 to get seat changes. It's not a long flight, but it would be nice to have a bit more legroom.

Thank you very, very much for your advice and helpful information!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
As a silver flying out of NJ (assuming Newark) I wouldn't hold my breath for an F upgrade, even without the animal.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:24 am

I haven't gotten one in ages, but I"m also traveling mid-afternoon and on a Monday. I do have some hope
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:45 pm

To close the loop on this.....

I called at T-24 and got the last 2 seats together in E+. I wanted them together so as to not potentially bother the aisle passenger.

I was not able to check in online (expected), and did so at the airport where the agent auto split the itinerary (arghhhhh). So I ended up on the upgrade list and hubby & dog did not. It didn't mean much, I was 30 on the list Still, it makes a difference because I have status and the Presidents card and he doesn't. So even if I was able to get E+ for free, I would have needed to call to move him along with myself.

For the return, since the flight looked busy more than a week out, I decided to pay for E+ and not chance getting it for free. The extra legroom did help give us more space for our legs and lap. I checked in online and hubby did so at the airport. It was the right choice, as 2 seats together never opened up that I was able to see. I also ended up being 26 on the upgrade list

I'd like to inform you the little guy did not move/budge off one or the other of our laps. He did not try to get on the floor, nor did he even sniff at the person sitting in the aisle. He didn't bark or make any noise either. He slept the entire way until we gave him a bit of food while we were eating ours. The kids on the flight were considerably more unruly than he.

Thank you for all your help and advice.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As someone who is allergic to animal dander you have my sympathy that people who abuse the system make me very suspicious when I see pax like you getting on the plane.

I am glad the both the outbound and the return worked out well for you, and that you, your husband and the emotional support aninal could all be seated together with sufficient room.

I will say I have only had great experiences with pax with true support animals. It sounds as though your animal falls within that same category.

Pets (some have the emotional support jacket) on my flights have not gone well for me as my allergies come into play. These people act offended when I start sneezing and bring out my inhaler. I do confirm with the GA I am not seated near them but the last time the pax swapped seats with the person next to me (just prior to takeoff) which meant I needed to swap my seat and only a middle seat person would swap for my window seat. So hope you understand why some of us groan when we see a small dog with an emotional support jacket coming towards us on a plane.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As someone who is allergic to animal dander you have my sympathy that people who abuse the system make me very suspicious when I see pax like you getting on the plane.

I am glad the both the outbound and the return worked out well for you, and that you, your husband and the emotional support aninal could all be seated together with sufficient room.

I will say I have only had great experiences with pax with true support animals. It sounds as though your animal falls within that same category.

Pets (some have the emotional support jacket) on my flights have not gone well for me as my allergies come into play. These people act offended when I start sneezing and bring out my inhaler. I do confirm with the GA I am not seated near them but the last time the pax swapped seats with the person next to me (just prior to takeoff) which meant I needed to swap my seat and only a middle seat person would swap for my window seat. So hope you understand why some of us groan when we see a small dog with an emotional support jacket coming towards us on a plane.
Mine is a real ESA and I have papers from a real doctor with a real practice in NY & NJ. As well, I had to provide paperwork from the vet & doctor as well as confirm he is trained. UA checked their licenses before approving him.

I do not put a vest on him for the very reasons you state... I do not want to be lumped in with the people doing it to get their dogs where they do not belong.

As well, my husband is allergic to dogs, and this is his ESA, which is why we got a poodle. They don't have fur (they have hair), nor do they shed, and are considered a hypoallergenic breed. In all likelihood you wouldn't have a problem being near him, though nothing is 100% certain.

As luck would have it, the person on our outbound flight was in the dog food business, and on the return, a woman was there wanted to take a picture of him for her son because he loves dogs.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

While we sympathize with those who truly need "emotional support animals," they equally need to sympathize with people who are allergic to animals. I'm totally with you.

I recently sat in F on a flight from HNL to SFO. My seatmate changed seat with another passenger who had an "emotional support dog." This animal was well behaved. But I still was allergic to it. The airline industry needs to rethink this issue and impose more strict rules on what qualify as "emotional support animals." In the meantime, I have met people who flat out admit that they do abuse the system.
JNelson113 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT regulations also need to put passenger health and safety first.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:35 pm

I think a good start would be to automatically refuse to approve ESAs from internet doctors or those who don't have a practice nor live near the person making the request. That would go a long way toward the problem. To many people get a "consultation" from an internet psychologist once and get their letter.

FWIW - I provided a letter from the MD, in addition to what was required but not requested, explaining the reason for the need. Perhaps that should be a requirement as well.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by snackdog
One article said United saw something like a 70% increase in pets in the cabin in the last year or so. Getting pretty furry in the air!
Looks like DOT is putting a rule out for comment. HIGHLY restrictive. Basically limited to bona fide service dogs. No ESA's at all. That goes much farther than any airlines (including UA) have gone.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/depa...232335408.html

I don't think we should start a policy debate here about the DOT rule. That's for other forums. But if this rule goes through, I think we will see United and other airlines change their policies, which I imagine is a topic of discussion here.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Looks like DOT is putting a rule out for comment. HIGHLY restrictive. Basically limited to bona fide service dogs. No ESA's at all. That goes much farther than any airlines (including UA) have gone.
It appears to be highly restrictive. Just to be clear, what the NPRM proposes is a rule that says ESAs are no longer required to be given special treatment by airlines, but airlines can continue to give ESAs special treatment if airlines so opt. Additionally, the advance notice and documentation requirement for psychiatric service animals has been eliminated to streamline the requirements for all service animals making it easier, not harder, to to pass off a faux paw service animal with nothing more than a vest bought on the internet and a credible verbal assurance-- no need for a letter even. The rule the NPRM proposes says UA should write the DOT if that approach causes problems (and they'll consider changing the rule again in 10 years, I guess).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.