Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Hmmm...maybe it’s not so bad that there are animal restrictions. I can’t believe they still flew and had the passenger sit in the seat!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/delt...-on-plane.html
I was astounded by this story. The aroma would be enough to make me throw up and got to think it is a biohazard for all in the area that had not been cleaned.

I was surprised the flight was allowed to continue because I have been on delayed flights because they did not have the bulb for the call button for the toilet.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Hmmm...maybe it’s not so bad that there are animal restrictions. I can’t believe they still flew and had the passenger sit in the seat!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/delt...-on-plane.html
As this is a DL incident, please follow the discussion in the DL forum, Flying in Feces

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:58 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was astounded by this story. The aroma would be enough to make me throw up and got to think it is a biohazard for all in the area that had not been cleaned.

I was surprised the flight was allowed to continue because I have been on delayed flights because they did not have the bulb for the call button for the toilet.
Brings back fond memories of this thread: Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Solved for emotional support

This will work just fine
chebert999, narvik, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I was thinking of this thread when I went through security check at HNL Sunday night and some guy had his "emotional support" dog (complete with red vest and white-stitched lettering) going through with him. Dog was clearly not trained as a service dog since it was all over the place and just not behaving but I chose to ignore it when the guy went right after security and my gate was left. Several hours and a changeover at SFO later, I see the very same guy and dog exiting my aircraft at DEN. Not sure how I missed him boarding except that all I wanted was sleep.

Meanwhile, another woman had a small (Toto-size or smaller) "service" dog (complete with yellow vest) with her on SFO-DEN. At least HER dog behaved itself and acted like a service-trained dog.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I was on a flight on Saturday SFO-SAN and saw there was a dog and went to confirm it was not sitting near me. I was in 1A and the dog was at the back of the plane. Our plane was delayed due to mx and then we needed to switch planes but kept our same seats. Well apparently there were two dogs on the plane and there were issues with the animals. One was a pet but there was no pet carrier and apparently part of the problem as explained to me by the FA as one of the pax involved in the "incident" was moved to FC. (Due to the delay two FC pax opted to switch to another flight - smart folks!) I then queried that I thought pets needed to be in a carrier and the FA confirmed this was the case so I asked why the pet was not in a pet carrier and the FA just shrugged.

That is all we need - dog fights in the air!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
On my LAX-IAD flight last week, I saw a woman get up from her bulkhead seat, and walk toward the back of the plane. In front of her was a(n adorable) small, fluffy white dog, off leash. Within seconds, and while I was still trying to process what I had just seen, she was on her way back to her seat, carrying the dog. Kudos for the FA, whom I assume stopped her in her tracks. As we were de-planing, I heard the dog bark -- but I could not see it.

I'm a dog-lover, as evidenced by my signature. As such, I am extremely aware of the fact that not everyone is a dog-lover for various reasons. Had I been fearful of dogs, I would have been apoplectic. Rules are in place for a reason, and those who try to circumvent and abuse the rules should be doomed to a lifetime of middle seats in the last row next to two linebackers.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
@SS255, I love dogs too but I detest people who abuse loopholes for their own personal convenience and make things more difficult on those who really need the loopholes or benefits. In addition, while I believe a small number of people genuinely need emotional support (e.g., to deal with PTSD), the vast majority of people claiming to need emotional support these days are simply snowflakes who need to grow up and "cowboy up". I am truly amazed that we as a species survived more than 10,000 years given the examples of contemporary "adults".
FlyingNone, MSPeconomist and DELee like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: united
Delta tightens the leash further

Delta's new rules:

No more ESA's on longhaul international.

No more emotional support puppies and kittens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/12/11/delta-bans-support-animals-from-long-flights--and-no-puppies.html

Will UA follow?
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The baby animal ban is probably quite easy to legally justify in the name of rabies vaccination schedules and how long it takes for the critter to develop immunity post-vaccination.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
All those online sites selling letters will have to take a few minutes to update their letter format.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Delta's new rules:

No more ESA's on longhaul international.

No more emotional support puppies and kittens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...o-puppies.html

Will UA follow?
lets hope United follows them!
abaheti and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mellon
lets hope United follows them!
Looks like they did, and then some:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartandhp
  • Dogs & cats only
  • Nothing over 8 hours
  • Must be 4 months or older
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:42 pm

One article said United saw something like a 70% increase in pets in the cabin in the last year or so. Getting pretty furry in the air!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Emotional Support Requirements & Losses

Yes, I have an official emotional support dog. I have a letter from a real psychiatrist who practices in NY, and all the rest of the UA required paperwork. He is an 8 pound non-shedding and hypoallergenic very well behaved lap dog. So hold off on your rants please I did it right and by the book.

What do I lose from my lowly silver status?
  • I can't do online check in - they have to check to make sure the dog is alive (seriously a GA told me that) and that he doesn't weigh 100 pounds.
  • I'm not on the upgrade waitlist and can only be put there at the airport - if there's even an F seat available. Silvers clear at 24 hours, so it's not likely a seat will be available.
  • I MAY not be able to move to an E+ seat, though I'm not sure about that

I flew with him in a carrier and paid my $$$. What I discovered was that he was better behaved than the lap children in front of us, and quieter too. He was actually safer than they were.

So does anyone else know what I'm going to lose? I could split our reservation so at least one of us get some sort of a benefit, but I prefer not to do that so we can put one of us at the window and the other in the middle so as not to run the risk of someone at the aisle being bothered or annoyed by the dog.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.