Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

Why does it feel like United is always three steps behind Delta?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't the requirement also be that the licensed mental health professional is treating the person? That might eliminate some of these internet letters.
That's always been the case (or at least currently is). Here is the current form that is good through Feb. 28:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...imal-form.html

The provider must certify "I am a licensed medical/mental health professional treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability" and "The passenger is under my professional care".

My guess is that both of those conditions are flimsy enough that a quick phone conversation qualifies.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Let's wait to see the new medical form to see what "enhanced" means. Hopefully and unlike DL, it will have the full requirements permitted by the DOT rules under the ACCA, e.g. a diagnosis of a DSM-recognized mental disease or defect by a professional licensed to make a diagnosis.
The Delta form states:
  • "I am a licensed medical/mental health professional treating the customer’s mental or emotional disability. (Mark check box to confirm.)"
  • "I certify that the customer has a mental health related disability listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and is under my care. (Mark check box to confirm.)"
The form asks for the practitioner's license number and state of issuance. What exactly should the form say? How did Delta do it wrong?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So UA copies DL again.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

I’m waiting for an apology from Oscar to that customer with the bird
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Fantastic news!! This has become beyond ridiculous. A change I will like, indeed!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:01 pm

Interesting to see the numbers...

"United had been reviewing its policy since late last year after a 75% increase in emotional-support animals on flights and “a significant increase in onboard incidents.” The number of comfort animals flying on the airline jumped from 43,000 in 2016 to 76,000 last year, according to Charlie Hobart, a United spokesman."

This is what Delta said:

"The airline says the number of service animals on its flights has increased nearly 150% since 2015. Delta says it carries more than 250,000 service and support animals a year."

I guess the DL number includes service animals, not just ESA like the United number.

Either way, the growth rates are well beyond any natural growth rate if it were driven by legit treatment.

When you see sites like this with funds to advertise when you search for 'ESA letter' or 'emotional support animal'...the growth is not driven by real needs:

https://therapypet.org/ ("No More Unfair Airline Fees", "Get your letter shipped within 24 hours with our expedited options!")
https://www.certapet.com/ ("Get Your CertaPet ESA Letter Without Breaking the Bank in 48 Business Hours or Less, 99.9% acceptance rate")

They're selling on saving fees and fast service (so you can get it in time for the flight). All based on an online quiz and a phone assessment from a practitioner with no follow up visits.

Unfortunate for the folks that do have real needs it's been abused and exploited. Good for the airlines for finally getting more involved, though wonder how much was driven by crew complaints vs lost pet fees.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I’m waiting for an apology from Oscar to that customer with the bird
ROFL
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kettle1
So UA copies DL again.
and while that generally speaking is not a good thing ... this is an exception. Thanks UA for copying so quickly!
flyertalker00398284 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by topman
Why does it feel like United is always three steps behind Delta?
If UA went first, the media would be screaming about how UA is discriminating against disabled people.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shouldn't the requirement also be that the licensed mental health professional is treating the person? That might eliminate some of these internet letters.
I don't know that "treating" is a requirement of making a diagnosis, but a professional who makes a diagnosis without whatever examination it is that professional standards call for, puts his license at risk.

Not a lot of people will put their license at risk and not a lot of people (Corporal Klinger aside) want a mental disease or defect diagnosis in their records so the peacock can tag along.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I have two Labradors. And I have several friends who have acquired an emotional support animal doc for their animal(s), as I leave my dogs at home when I need to travel. I know my dogs would hate flying as much as I might like to have them along. It annoys me when people game the system. Of course their is a genuine need for ESA's for a very few, but the rules have been twisted by pet owners who abuse regs. for their non-medical needs to the detriment to those who have a genuine need for their pet companions. Pathetic. Way to go UA and DL!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:26 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Honestly as a CS lead, I am happy with the change. The continued amount of harrassment dealt with at the gates is far too much. Baby "spikes" nibbling and barking at passengers is out of control and I, as a cs, don't want to be calling the cops every flight due to an animal issue... Oh and if one searches deep enough on the youtube/interwebs, one can see the videos of the female passenger failing to conrtol her ESA peacock trying to get into the EWR terminal... That is not an ESAN. That was a disaster waiting to happen and a media field day... Quit making airlines out as scapegoats, sure we screw up but not as much as every one else. And when policy is followed it is almost like it is d-day all over again... grandpa had flash backs to it constantly and watching him revert 50 years when i was a kid was not much fun either... this crap is almost a new hell on top of it (rant over sorry) but please be considerate of fellow passengers... i hate calling medics for a dog, or cat, or insert random animal here bite just because you don't have the medical certificate of your little "maxie" and i have to ensure the safety and health of each passenger before they board the plane...

Originally Posted by joe_miami
If UA went first, the media would be screaming about how UA is discriminating against disabled people.
United actually had the same policy for years... we were just too lax on enforcement as a whole that we had to issue a media statement... we tried to play along and be nice but some people had to push our buttons and go to far... no it's not nice mode and i get to play the bad guy at work if you don't have proper paperwork... i don't like the tough love scenario more than the next guy but it is what we have to do...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Welcome news and long overdue.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I suppose this will weed out some of the worst offenders.

Still, we'd be able to qualify with 3 of our 4 dogs if we wished (any time they've flown with us, they have flown as paid cabin pets, FWIW). 3 of the 4 have "CGCA" after their name, which is more training in appropriate behavior than most of the ESAs out there ("AKC Canine Good Citizen - Advanced"), which involves two real-life exams for the dog. One is certified as a companion animal as well (forget the exact certification). And we know plenty of licensed mental health professionals who'd have no problems filling out that form.

Hopefully. But I also feel like there are a ton of licensed professionals who'd sign the papers without question.

That said, there are many people who have legitimate needs that legitimate service animals meet (including ESAs). I hate that bad apples make it harder for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.