Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:35 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
The DOT form is a floor not a ceiling.​​​​
Your contractor built your room upside down. It is to be a ceiling not a floor; read the NPRM again.

Perhaps the DOT form will have perjury language at the bottom of it . . . that might help.

Comment!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: united
Not true. The regulation allows airlines to require proof of training. The DOT form is a floor not a ceiling.
​​​​
Originally Posted by Ari
Your contractor built your room upside down. It is to be a ceiling not a floor; read the NPRM again.

Perhaps the DOT form will have perjury language at the bottom of it . . . that might help.

Comment!
The form included in the document sets up a fraud charge if the animal is unruly by requiring the passenger to acknowledge that making a false statement would constitute fraud.

If enforced that might do it, because if an incident happened and it turned out the passenger lied, that sets up the criminal charge.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:05 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The form included in the document sets up a fraud charge if the animal is unruly by requiring the passenger to acknowledge that making a false statement would constitute fraud.

If enforced that might do it, because if an incident happened and it turned out the passenger lied, that sets up the criminal charge.
Agreed. The other form references 18 U.S.C.§ 1001 directly. Might help.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
So, what if the animal is NOT unruly? I expect a lot of fraudsters to keep trying.

I'd love to put in comments, anyone have a pointer to a succinct set of talking points or bullets to use as a model?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I take my trained and certified service dog to Hawaii regularly as I live and work there. This rule really doesn't change things for me with UA as UA has for at least several years now not allowed ANY dogs in the cabin on flights to Hawaii. The regulations to Hawaii are very strict, I use AS now for trips to Hawaii from SFO/OAK and have multiple hoops to jump through. This includes service dog certificates, certification and letters from Vet (just prior to departure), rabies documents and regular testing, fee to the State of Hawaii, and I am greated by a Vet (at my cost) immediately upon landing in Hawaii. This has to be completed each time I travel with the dog. The total cost is over $800 each RT. I have no sympathy for those who use ESA as a scam for free in cabin dog transportation.
JNelson113 and abaheti like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
I take my trained and certified service dog to Hawaii regularly as I live and work there. This rule really doesn't change things for me with UA as UA has for at least several years now not allowed ANY dogs in the cabin on flights to Hawaii.
I don't know what documentation is required above and beyond what is normally required for service dogs (and I'm sure it is a lot) to Hawaii but I've sat next to one.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by abaheti
So, what if the animal is NOT unruly? I expect a lot of fraudsters to keep trying.

I'd love to put in comments, anyone have a pointer to a succinct set of talking points or bullets to use as a model?
​​​​​​I don't think it's that simple. IF prosecutors are serious about bringing felony prosecutions when incidents occur, that will be a giant deterrent. Especially if they bring them not only after bites but also after untrained dogs leave messes. A couple of those and NOBODY will take the risk of lying.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't know what documentation is required above and beyond what is normally required for service dogs (and I'm sure it is a lot) to Hawaii but I've sat next to one.
Without going into detail Hawaii does have multiple addtional requirements,fees, and documentation need to bring ANY animal into Hawaii. I would refer you to the Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture website for a full discussion of what is required.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:53 am

... I have no sympathy for those who use ESA as a scam for free in cabin dog transportation.
Not all people are "scamming" for free in cabin dog,
I do use the ESA, simply because I don't have any other option to transport my beloved pet in cabin and will not risk and use cargo.

I'm traveling internationally in J once a year (for a month+) and chose to bring my pet with me. Why is it OK (for a fee) to transport your pet in Y but not to transport the pet (for a fee, I'm willing to even purchase full ticket, how about that?) in J?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Without going into detail Hawaii does have multiple addtional requirements,fees, and documentation need to bring ANY animal into Hawaii. I would refer you to the Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture website for a full discussion of what is required.
I live in Hawaii and have brought pets with me - so I know what is required for regular pets. No need to refer me as I don't have a service animal.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I do use the ESA, simply because I don't have any other option to transport my beloved pet in cabin and will not risk and use cargo.

I'm traveling internationally in J once a year (for a month+) and chose to bring my pet with me. Why is it OK (for a fee) to transport your pet in Y but not to transport the pet (for a fee, I'm willing to even purchase full ticket, how about that?) in J?
It's not an ESA. It's your beloved pet that you chose to travel with. Sorry for the inconvenience, but perhaps there's a business opportunity for pet flights. Meanwhile, if it's not a legitimate need, just a strong desire, you should pay the fee and follow the rules that are meant to lessen the inconvenience of your fellow passengers who aren't really interested in flying in a menagerie.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Wait, I'm confused. So you don't have a true ESA, but use the ESA rules so your pet can ride with you in J? Why not just pay the pet fee and ride with your pet in Y?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

I did not realize "ESA pet" was a new category for flights.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This is scamming and should be a crime IMO.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
It's not an ESA. It's your beloved pet that you chose to travel with. Sorry for the inconvenience, but perhaps there's a business opportunity for pet flights. Meanwhile, if it's not a legitimate need, just a strong desire, you should pay the fee and follow the rules that are meant to lessen the inconvenience of your fellow passengers who aren't really interested in flying in a menagerie.
A certified medical professional did evaluate myself and decided that I do have a legitimate need for ESA, which happens to also be my pet. Of course, this does not mean that my pet/esa need to be noticed by passengers, and typically - that's the case. I discreetly and respectfully to other passengers enjoy my pet/esa during the flight, while ensuring that the pet/esa is comfortable, eating, warm, etc. IMO some people are worst than animals, obnoxious, loud, disrespectful and so on.

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Wait, I'm confused. So you don't have a true ESA, but use the ESA rules so your pet can ride with you in J? Why not just pay the pet fee and ride with your pet in Y?
I do have a true ESA, but true and ESA is an oxymoron.

I am a logical guy, but I don't get the illogical aspect of claiming that there's more space in Y than there is in J for the pet, hence you can't bring pets to J. One can claim that when switching to bed mode, there's no room for storage under the seat, while I could agree - I don't have to be in full bed mode to enjoy the benefits of J.

Last edited by justsawaufo; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.