Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mirrors DL, tightens rules emotional support animal rules, eff. 1MAR18

UA mirrors DL, tightens rules emotional support animal rules, eff. 1MAR18

Old Nov 7, 18, 1:13 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed View Post
Hmmm...maybe itís not so bad that there are animal restrictions. I canít believe they still flew and had the passenger sit in the seat!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/delt...-on-plane.html
I was astounded by this story. The aroma would be enough to make me throw up and got to think it is a biohazard for all in the area that had not been cleaned.

I was surprised the flight was allowed to continue because I have been on delayed flights because they did not have the bulb for the call button for the toilet.
Old Nov 7, 18, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed View Post
Hmmm...maybe it’s not so bad that there are animal restrictions. I can’t believe they still flew and had the passenger sit in the seat!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/delt...-on-plane.html
As this is a DL incident, please follow the discussion in the DL forum, Flying in Feces

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 7, 18, 6:58 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I was astounded by this story. The aroma would be enough to make me throw up and got to think it is a biohazard for all in the area that had not been cleaned.

I was surprised the flight was allowed to continue because I have been on delayed flights because they did not have the bulb for the call button for the toilet.
Brings back fond memories of this thread: Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF & *A & Marriot Gold, OW Sap, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Solved for emotional support

This will work just fine
chebert999, narvik, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
I was thinking of this thread when I went through security check at HNL Sunday night and some guy had his "emotional support" dog (complete with red vest and white-stitched lettering) going through with him. Dog was clearly not trained as a service dog since it was all over the place and just not behaving but I chose to ignore it when the guy went right after security and my gate was left. Several hours and a changeover at SFO later, I see the very same guy and dog exiting my aircraft at DEN. Not sure how I missed him boarding except that all I wanted was sleep.

Meanwhile, another woman had a small (Toto-size or smaller) "service" dog (complete with yellow vest) with her on SFO-DEN. At least HER dog behaved itself and acted like a service-trained dog.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:50 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I was on a flight on Saturday SFO-SAN and saw there was a dog and went to confirm it was not sitting near me. I was in 1A and the dog was at the back of the plane. Our plane was delayed due to mx and then we needed to switch planes but kept our same seats. Well apparently there were two dogs on the plane and there were issues with the animals. One was a pet but there was no pet carrier and apparently part of the problem as explained to me by the FA as one of the pax involved in the "incident" was moved to FC. (Due to the delay two FC pax opted to switch to another flight - smart folks!) I then queried that I thought pets needed to be in a carrier and the FA confirmed this was the case so I asked why the pet was not in a pet carrier and the FA just shrugged.

That is all we need - dog fights in the air!
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
On my LAX-IAD flight last week, I saw a woman get up from her bulkhead seat, and walk toward the back of the plane. In front of her was a(n adorable) small, fluffy white dog, off leash. Within seconds, and while I was still trying to process what I had just seen, she was on her way back to her seat, carrying the dog. Kudos for the FA, whom I assume stopped her in her tracks. As we were de-planing, I heard the dog bark -- but I could not see it.

I'm a dog-lover, as evidenced by my signature. As such, I am extremely aware of the fact that not everyone is a dog-lover for various reasons. Had I been fearful of dogs, I would have been apoplectic. Rules are in place for a reason, and those who try to circumvent and abuse the rules should be doomed to a lifetime of middle seats in the last row next to two linebackers.
narvik, DELee and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
@SS255, I love dogs too but I detest people who abuse loopholes for their own personal convenience and make things more difficult on those who really need the loopholes or benefits. In addition, while I believe a small number of people genuinely need emotional support (e.g., to deal with PTSD), the vast majority of people claiming to need emotional support these days are simply snowflakes who need to grow up and "cowboy up". I am truly amazed that we as a species survived more than 10,000 years given the examples of contemporary "adults".
DELee likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 2:00 pm

Programs: united
Delta tightens the leash further

Delta's new rules:

No more ESA's on longhaul international.

No more emotional support puppies and kittens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/12/11/delta-bans-support-animals-from-long-flights--and-no-puppies.html

Will UA follow?
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
The baby animal ban is probably quite easy to legally justify in the name of rabies vaccination schedules and how long it takes for the critter to develop immunity post-vaccination.
Old Dec 11, 18, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Global Entry
All those online sites selling letters will have to take a few minutes to update their letter format.
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Delta's new rules:

No more ESA's on longhaul international.

No more emotional support puppies and kittens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...o-puppies.html

Will UA follow?
lets hope United follows them!
abaheti and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
lets hope United follows them!
Looks like they did, and then some:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartandhp
  • Dogs & cats only
  • Nothing over 8 hours
  • Must be 4 months or older
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:42 pm

One article said United saw something like a 70% increase in pets in the cabin in the last year or so. Getting pretty furry in the air!