Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange recommendation from UA - use a GPU for a midcom, feels like a devaluation

Strange recommendation from UA - use a GPU for a midcom, feels like a devaluation

Old Feb 1, 18, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM

Email campaign started to encourage use of GPU. The recommendation that a GPU should be used on a 4 hour flight from Boston to Houston shows how much they have been devalued. This is also the only leg, out of 8 in two upcoming trips, that has confirmed upgrade availability.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No change - not sure what your point is. It's only devalued if you take UA up on it and if you can't use it otherwise. I just used two GPUs to and from London out of Maui. I have also used GPUs (knowing I wouldn't need them for int'l long-haul) on domestic flights.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
That isn't a devaluation - same as it has always been - use it domestic or international on certain fare classes. Thought I went into this thread with an actual change.
ContinentalFan and chavala like this.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LimeySD View Post

Email campaign started to encourage use of GPU. The recommendation that a GPU should be used on a 4 hour flight from Boston to Houston shows how much they have been devalued. This is also the only leg, out of 8 in two upcoming trips, that has confirmed upgrade availability.
Are any others flights in your next two trips longer than 4 hours? I would imagine you might have received a similar email suggesting a GPU for those flights. (Does the email only generate when a flight has R space avaiable?) While this one is not the best use of a GPU, it doesn’t show that the coupons are devalued.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Congrats, that is the sort of itinerary we hold onto GPU for.
I have never seen UA actively solicit the use of upgrade mechanisms before. Hopefully it's just a growing use of social media and not something more sinister.
ContinentalFan and mrt88 like this.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I would put this down as just more inane UA marketing/IT rather than indicative of a devaluation.

If anything, R availability has increased slightly in the past year or so, to the point that SFO-FRA and SFO-LHR can occasionally be cleared at booking.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
That's not news here. Currently I've applied GPUs to 4 upcoming trips, on flights that historically are filled 30+% by upgrades and I'm waitlisted. I usually apply them 6 to 8 times before they stick.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post

Are any others flights in your next two trips longer than 4 hours? I would imagine you might have received a similar email suggesting a GPU for those flights. (Does the email only generate when a flight has R space avaiable?) While this one is not the best use of a GPU, it doesn’t show that the coupons are devalued.
I have yet to see this but I have the same question about only generated if R space is available. If so this may actually be helpful to some. Perhaps the clicking on the redeem now would only result in some "sorry space not available" but don't know. As far as devalued I don't see anything new here. As far as I am concerned they are next to worthless anyhow. I now apply them to ALL my flights that I book, even short runs such as SFO-MFR, SFO-LAX, SFO-SLC. SFO-SAN. I
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing has changed other than that OP received an email. He may choose to use a GPU for a micro-hop or an ultra long-haul. His choice.

It's called consumer choice suggesting that an individual's decision to use a GPU for something which one might not use it is off-base.
chavala and UA0Flyer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 18 at 1:02 pm Reason: clean-up after title change
Old Feb 1, 18, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I have yet to see this but I have the same question about only generated if R space is available. If so this may actually be helpful to some. Perhaps the clicking on the redeem now would only result in some "sorry space not available" but don't know. As far as devalued I don't see anything new here. As far as I am concerned they are next to worthless anyhow. I now apply them to ALL my flights that I book, even short runs such as SFO-MFR, SFO-LAX, SFO-SLC. SFO-SAN. I
On my routes that routinely clear CPUs, I also routinely get an email to use an instrument on my flight (usually it suggests miles, a huge waste but I digress..). For me, it has always corresponded to the release of R inventory on the flight. Mildly useful, but if you intend to use an instrument on a flight you already have booked, you might as well just waitlist it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: