Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mile Play promotion #2 -- targeted book/travel X trips by 11 March 2018, get Y miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Mile Play promotion #2 -- targeted book/travel X trips by 11 March 2018, get Y miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Do a search for the next highest fare up, which would be E. If there is a published fare, the website will let you book it. If not, then try the next highest, which is M. (After that it's second tier economy - B, and then full fare economy - Y)

You may or may not need to have expert mode enabled to search for a specific fare class.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Never got the e-mail, but my offer is 2x premium cabin flights, 38k miles. Not bad. Of course, I already have 2x booked trips in the timeframe in premium cabins... not eligible as they were booked prior to today.

Wonder if the farelocked F I have to DEN (likely pulling the trigger tomorrow), farelocked 5 days ago, will count given I registered for the promo today?

Suppose I can book another trip to take advantage ($800 minimum, but that's hard not to hit on F cabin fares on any of my routes). I need to frontload my 1K requal this year, as my contract at work is up for recompete likely in November or December, meaning I'm not travelling at all after late September due to needing to be putting in long hours at work come the end of the year...

ETA: My farelocked trip includes two 1-cabin segments and two domestic F segments and costs me roughly $950. Let's say that absent taxes & fees, that's $860 in fare... fine print makes me wonder if this will count, or if the the F segments (IAD-DEN-IAD) have to add up to $800+ (doubt they do, given the overall fare is just over $860). Hmm.

Last edited by exerda; Feb 1, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:01 pm

Just dropped to no elite status and got an interested offer.

700 miles to book and take a trip min $150
500 miles to book and take a flight in Economy Plus
2600 miles bonus if you complete both.

I'm guessing that's two separate trips.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by diburning
Do a search for the next highest fare up, which would be E. If there is a published fare, the website will let you book it. If not, then try the next highest, which is M. (After that it's second tier economy - B, and then full fare economy - Y)

You may or may not need to have expert mode enabled to search for a specific fare class.
Oh yeah, I always forget about being able to search for specific fare classes. I searched for an E fare, and the price was $100 more than the U fare. I'd really like to just buy the "Bundle Offer" if that's acceptable. Anyone know if it is? This would be a perfect option, if so!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Presumably for those not receiving offers, such as myself, the reason is that we have travel booked? In my case, I have almost $8K in travel recently booked, on fares ranging from W to Z for int'l travel. Much as I would love 80K extra miles for those bookings, United would be pretty stupid to make me that offer. I'd have cancelled and rebooked and got those miles for half a cent apiece.
Spoke too soon.

I got one for 3 premium cabin trips (P and upwards) at $1,400 or more each, and earn 58,000 miles. Ticketed after today and flown by March 11th.Not happening.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by esquesk
The reason would be that @ 35K spend, he's likely 1K. The barriers to switching aren't that high if he doesn't live in a hub city as he could easily get a status match and move business if he doesn't feel the love from UA.

Personally, I haven't been targeted (yet again), and as a GS, I'm stuck with UA. However, it does build some frustration and when I eventually drop back down to 1K, might influence a decision in the future.

As a workaround, the marketing department could make HVC eligible but to not push e-mails or app to these flyers. That would eliminate the negative feeling but also limit the cost for those who would not care anyway.
yep, years ago I left Marriott and switched all my spend to Hilton after seeing my nothing/silver SO get sweet promos time after time that I (as a plat) wasn’t eligible for. As for this promo, I’ve got an easy one: 1 trip (>300) for 12k

got the e-mail, but doesn’t show up on app?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold Club
For me, 3x trips in premium cabin for 30,000. min $450 purchase for each ticket, new miles post 5-8 weeks after promotion ends
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Sadly, another promotion I'm not eligible for.....
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gigglypug
got the e-mail, but doesn’t show up on app?
Are you saying that the app is not showing the same deals for the promo, or that the promo isn't showing up in your app? Mine didn't show up in the app until I updated the app last night...not sure if that would help you or not.

On an unrelated note, I'm still hoping someone might have some info for me as to whether buying the "Bundle Offer" to get an additional checked bag will count toward the fare price. Anyone know for sure, or know how I can find that out? I'm guessing if I call UA that whatever agent I happen to speak to isn't going to be able to confirm that, so is there a better place to ask? Thanks again!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Book and take 2 trips by March 11 to get 14,000 bonus miles. Must be >= $300.00. Already have SFO-AKL booked leaving 2/3. Doubt I will make two more trips by then.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dav3d
Book and take 2 trips by March 11 to get 14,000 bonus miles. Must be >= $300.00. Already have SFO-AKL booked leaving 2/3. Doubt I will make two more trips by then.
Based on the fact that you said you already have the flight booked, I'm guessing that means you booked the flight before you registered for the promo, meaning that flight wouldn't count toward the promo anyway...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Based on the fact that you said you already have the flight booked, I'm guessing that means you booked the flight before you registered for the promo, meaning that flight wouldn't count toward the promo anyway...
That is correct, had already booked before promo was offered.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Are you saying that the app is not showing the same deals for the promo, or that the promo isn't showing up in your app? Mine didn't show up in the app until I updated the app last night...not sure if that would help you or not.

Thanks, that fixed it!!

On an unrelated note, I'm still hoping someone might have some info for me as to whether buying the "Bundle Offer" to get an additional checked bag will count toward the fare price. Anyone know for sure, or know how I can find that out? I'm guessing if I call UA that whatever agent I happen to speak to isn't going to be able to confirm that, so is there a better place to ask? Thanks again!
I certainly don’t have any inside knowledge here, but the fine print says

“The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges.

...so my guess would be “no”. However, all kinds of exclusions are specifically addressed and bag fees curiously are not, so maybe worth a try?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by gigglypug

I certainly don’t have any inside knowledge here, but the fine print says

“The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges.

...so my guess would be “no”. However, all kinds of exclusions are specifically addressed and bag fees curiously are not, so maybe worth a try?

Yeah, I saw that too. I was just hoping that the fare might be calculated the way PQD is (at least I'm pretty sure bag fees, upgrades to E+, etc, all count toward PQD), but it doesn't say anything about that here. I'm not sure it's worth me saving $50 or so to find out that it's not, and then I have to buy an additional $470 fare to make up for the fact that it didn't!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Looking at all these other offers....my 1x$125/2500 offer looks pretty much like poop! Now that I've decided not to go anywhere on the one weekend in there I'm not already travelling, I'm not too concerned about letting this slip by. Maybe I'll try a SDC on one of my already booked flights, just in case.

Do you think not meeting offers like this increases or decreases your chances for an offer next time around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.