Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crazy Business Class fares to DEL? (xDEN)

Old Jan 31, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to book a business class fare to DEL. Pretty much anytime this year for 5/6 days (leaving on a Saturday and returning on Tuesday or Wednesday Evening). They are all like $8500.

I am more used to $3500 to $4000. I am real new to United, so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I cant believe this is the only fare they have. Could someone please point me in the correct direction?

Moderators, sorry if this is not in the correct thread. Still learning my way around here.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
I am looking to book a business class fare to DEL. Pretty much anytime this year for 5/6 days (leaving on a Saturday and returning on Tuesday or Wednesday Evening). They are all like $8500.

I am more used to $3500 to $4000. I am real new to United, so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I cant believe this is the only fare they have. Could someone please point me in the correct direction?

Moderators, sorry if this is not in the correct thread. Still learning my way around here.
There have been some threads lately that prices are high from hubs for international flights, prices are high for Europe. Maybe you should mention your departing airport and more or less what time of the year you would like to go. In April, I could find a fare of $3500 from EWR but one way is on LH with a stop in Germany, return is on UA.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
There have been some threads lately that prices are high from hubs for international flights, prices are high for Europe. Maybe you should mention your departing airport and more or less what time of the year you would like to go. In April, I could find a fare of $3500 from EWR but one way is on LH with a stop in Germany, return is on UA.
DOH!

Sorry, I am leaving out of DEN.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
DOH!

So are you leaving from DOH or DEN?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself 😬
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
DOH!

Like you, when I put DEN as the departure airport the price to DEL shoots up to above $8,000.

Maybe you should consider buying separate tickets to EWR and then to DEL. I know it's something that I don't like to do but at those prices for Polaris Business ($8,000) I would have to fly Economy and hope for an instrument supported upgrade or a TOD.
Old Jan 31, 18, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Get an ExpertFlyer subscription and review the rules of UA's cheapest J cabin fares DEN-DEL. See if you can live with the adv purchase, min stay, day of week, routing, etc. restrictions of the lowest fares*. Use ITA Matrix to find availability of the lowest fares.

* If you can't live with the restrictions it's time for another carrier.

The cheapest UA-coded flights a quick search finds are AC via YYZ, but UA is by no means cheapest Business in the market.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Like you, when I put DEN as the departure airport the price to DEL shoots up to above $8,000.

Maybe you should consider buying separate tickets to EWR and then to DEL. I know it's something that I don't like to do but at those prices for Polaris Business ($8,000) I would have to fly Economy and hope for an instrument supported upgrade or a TOD.

That is actually a good idea. ^

It just seems silly that I could buy separate tickets cheaper than buying them as one ticket. Yet that is exactly the case.....

No different than DL I suppose. I used to buy Asia tickets from SEA and fly F9 there from denver.

Just checked ORD. $2600 in August. Same flights.... That is absurd.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 31, 18 at 2:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just seems silly that I could buy separate tickets cheaper than buying them as one ticket. Yet that is exactly the case.....
Just checked ORD. $2600 in August. Same flights.... That is absurd.
Welcome to the world of airfare, which is based upon origin and destination, not the cost of operating the flight. UA knows that most customers won't buy separate tickets -- and when you do buy separate tickets, you lose some IRROPS protection. For example, it'd be extremely difficult to get UA to put you onto DEN-FRA-DEL if you were holding separate tickets for DEN-EWR and EWR-DEL and there were a delay on DEN-EWR.

Airfares change frequently, though, and $8500 fares today could be $2600 tomorrow. You never know.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
United has been aggressively increasing ex-DEN fares as of late. It's been hitting a lot of my travelers hard. The most offensive that I've seen is DEN-NRT, where the cheapest UA business class fare is almost $10,000 roundtrip after taxes and fees. (And even that fare has a 50-day advance purchase requirement and a 10-day minimum stay.)
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Cheapest priceable fare is in the ~$6,700 range. You can save $500 by staying 14 days, but I think the split-ticket connection in ORD is the way to go. That ORD fare is outstanding.
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

One other question -

I am flying air canda on a 006 ticket that has no PQD accruals. Is that normal for *A? Are there certain carriers that are seamless?
Old Jan 31, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
United has been aggressively increasing ex-DEN fares as of late. It's been hitting a lot of my travelers hard. The most offensive that I've seen is DEN-NRT, where the cheapest UA business class fare is almost $10,000 roundtrip after taxes and fees. (And even that fare has a 50-day advance purchase requirement and a 10-day minimum stay.)
I thought it was just me... I fly out of denver and probably half of my miles (160,000 bisbin 2017) are international aamux of asiaAand Europe. Int'l biz fares out of denver have been atrocious of late.

E
Old Jan 31, 18, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA

Sadly, United has gotten quite proud of its product. Just buy a separate RT to ORD then fly the non-stop on Air India. Business class fare ORD-DEL non-stop in March....3717 RT.
Old Jan 31, 18, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other question -

I am flying air canda on a 006 ticket that has no PQD accruals. Is that normal for *A? Are there certain carriers that are seamless?
UA awards PQD for (almost) any *A flight on a 016 ticket and for UA flights on a non-016 ticket. Unlike AA and DL, they do not award any PQD for partner flights on a partner ticket. (Yes, it's frustrating. )
Old Jan 31, 18, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
One other question -

As mentioned only on 016 stock. . Also be careful of booking EI through UA sites, doesn't grant PQD most of the time

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA awards PQD for (almost) any *A flight on a 016 ticket and for UA flights on a non-016 ticket. Unlike AA and DL, they do not award any PQD for partner flights on a partner ticket. (Yes, it's frustrating. )
Though the PQD is $3k less than MQD on DL for top tier so.... I don't know if I'd have the stomach to try all of AA's different configurations. But seriously booking other *A carriers on UA 016 stock seems to be consistently cheaper than booking them on their own tickets. Particularly LH and AC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: