Economy plus ad misleading ?

Old Jan 31, 18, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Economy plus ad misleading ?

went to check in my grandparents for a flight since they donít use computers. The picture shown for E+ Buy up shows legroom Iíve never seen on an UA airplane before. Seems misleading to show so much space when on a 739, E+ is the same legroom as standard on JetBlue.

Side note, the $299 upgrade offer is for EWR to CUN on T class.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by COEWR2587 View Post
Seems misleading to show so much space

I'd sure be disappointed if I'd never flown UA before and paid $69 based on that picture.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Well, if you want to go there, I think itís a whole marketing issue everywhere, no? Has anyone ever seen a Big Mac in person that looks anything like the one on the menu board?
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Well, if you want to go there, I think itís a whole marketing issue everywhere, no? Has anyone ever seen a Big Mac in person that looks anything like the one on the menu board?
But in this case they are displaying something that is objectively measurable - the space between seats, and displaying it in a manner which is obviously inaccurate.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I guess it makes up for all the people who do a INTL J buy up that shows the dinestic F seats. Ying Yang of disappointment and delight.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I guess it makes up for all the people who do a INTL J buy up that shows the dinestic F seats. Ying Yang of disappointment and delight.
Or pretty much any photo of any UA meal.

Last edited by milepig; Jan 31, 18 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'll take you up on that one. In many Asian take out places the food does actually look like the pictures. They take the time to properly assemble the food and then don't toss it around like a toy.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Or pretty much any photo of any meal.
Unless it's catered out of DEN...
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Agree with others. Advertising has always given the impression of more than reality. If UA gave actual dimensions of say 40" of legroom, but only sold 35" that would be a problem. I still have the old UA game app on a phone, which also suggests that you can stretch your legs in E+. Marketing is doing their job, without giving specifics. Marketing shows happy customers, with plenty of empty seats, sipping wine, enjoying life, etc. I think everyone with a heartbeat that has flown in the last 10 years knows that isn't reality.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Agree with others. Advertising has always given the impression of more than reality. If UA gave actual dimensions of say 40" of legroom, but only sold 35" that would be a problem. I still have the old UA game app on a phone, which also suggests that you can stretch your legs in E+. Marketing is doing their job, without giving specifics. Marketing shows happy customers, with plenty of empty seats, sipping wine, enjoying life, etc. I think everyone with a heartbeat that has flown in the last 10 years knows that isn't reality.
Except they are using a totally fictional pic of the "product". If they use a photo of an actual on-board seating arrangement, though taken at an advantageous angle, I would give them some slack.
But this is just outright deceptive....doubly so since the pic above it shows an actual on-board seat arrangement.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
21DEF on the 76C?

To extend this logic a bit, the FC upgrade picture is also "misleading" because it shows a 737 FC product with the Sky Interior, which is only available on about 15% of the fleet. Plus, the stemmed wine glass is no longer provisioned at UA. Some of UA's website art shows a domestic F seat complete with a passenger relaxing on a pillow, and United hasn't offered pillows in standard domestic F since the merger.

Maybe not a totally accurate representation of the product, but I don't think one would get very far challenging this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Except they are using a totally fictional pic of the "product". If they use a photo of an actual on-board seating arrangement, though taken at an advantageous angle, I would give them some slack.
But this is just outright deceptive....doubly so since the pic above it shows an actual on-board seat arrangement.
are they supposed to put a scale, 1:?

Advertising has rarely shown things as people would see it in real life, itís made to show it in the most ideal conditions, even rediculously so. Sorry, I donít see a clearly doctored photo of a Big Mac any differently. Ever gotten the max fuel economy as itís listed on car documentation? I havenít...again, they are doing it in conditions that canít be repeated in real world driving.

Remember when airlines used to have videos of exercises to do on board, with one row of airplane seats on an otherwise empty beach, and models doing exercises it here? Anyone ever have space to do those exercises from their Y seats (or even in F or C?). Anyone ever seen a remotely close environment inside an airplane? I certainly havenít.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I still have the old UA game app on a phone, which also suggests that you can stretch your legs in E+.
I did manage to find out how to stretch my legs in E+ on international flights on a 772. Book seats 20A or 20B or the equivalents on the other side of the plane. Apart from that, all advertisements never show the real thing. I would have to add that some of my fellow Fters take pictures of the food served in First or Polaris Business that make it look way better than whatever is served to me when I'm sitting in First or Polaris Business.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post

are they supposed to put a scale, 1:?

Advertising has rarely shown things as people would see it in real life, itís made to show it in the most ideal conditions, even rediculously so. Sorry, I donít see a clearly doctored photo of a Big Mac any differently. Ever gotten the max fuel economy as itís listed on car documentation? I havenít...again, they are doing it in conditions that canít be repeated in real world driving.
You're arguing with people who want to find fault with an advertising image. (Reread the JetBlue remark.) See other poster's remarks about happy people, enticing meals, and empty seats... just as improbable in coach on a UA aircraft! The OP needs to get his advertising BS meter calibrated.

As for measurements, U.S. carriers have had to give seat pitch and seat width upon request since the Customer Commitment era in Congress, circa 1999. Carriers must have web pages giving seat width by aircraft and cabin to comply with Federal child seat fit guide rules. Online pages, specifically - the Feds don't accept the 'call us' stuff. The info is there for people who seek it.
Old Jan 31, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Technically, the image was correct for the EMB 120 exit row seating. I miss that airplane.
riphamilton likes this.

Search this Thread