List of non-reclining dom F seats

Old Jan 29, 18, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
List of non-reclining dom F seats

Does anyone have a list of domestic F seats that don't recline? I was once screwed by the last row of a 16F cabin (738?) on a red-eye MUA. It really wasn't worth the miles to upgrade! Just sat in row 3 on an A320 last night and that was fine.

I've scoured seat guru but it's a mixed bag (some have no comments, others have comments but not colored, some are yellow/red). Also looked at most of the "Everything You Wanted to Know" wikis but they don't address this problem. I'm sure there are anecdotes buried within those threads though.

I figure we could sort by full recline, partial, none if people want to contribute data. But I find it hard to imagine no one's started this resource yet!

Full
RJs
Airbuses

Partial
738: 4ABEF (1/3 of normal)
739: 5EF (1/3 of normal)
753: 6ABEF (2/3 of normal)

None
739 5AB

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jan 29, 18 at 9:08 pm Reason: Added data
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There are coatracks behind F on the Airbus planes, and no bulkheads on RJs. The 739s are notorious for Row 5's lack of recline and proximity to the lavatory. I had though the other 737s were okay, but I was on a new-build 738 on Saturday and it seemed like Row 4 was flush with the bulkhead

I don't believe I have ever flown in the last row of a 737 or 753, but I'm probably forgetting once or twice.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
739: 5EF recline about 1/3 of normal, 5AB not at all
738: 4 reclines about 1/3 of normal (even the older ones have been like this IME)
753: Could be wrong, but I have sat in 5B and 5E and both seemed to recline marginally less
320/319: With the new forward-sliding seat, I believe all seats are fine

Not sure on 73G but given the 737 swaps that occur, I think a no-back-row rule is prudent.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
739: 5EF recline about 1/3 of normal, 5AB not at all
738: 4 reclines about 1/3 of normal (even the older ones have been like this IME)
753: Could be wrong, but I have sat in 5B and 5E and both seemed to recline marginally less
320/319: With the new forward-sliding seat, I believe all seats are fine

Not sure on 73G but given the 737 swaps that occur, I think a no-back-row rule is prudent.
i never book row 5 on 737 or 3 on A320 just to be protected when they do equipment swaps
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Will update OP.

Good points about never choosing the last row. In my case last night, it was either a row 2 middle or row 3 window so I chanced it. Plus only an hour flight time.

Bizarre that UA doesn't think F pax deserve a reclining seat (and that we don't see more of these complaints on FT)!
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
... Good points about never choosing the last row. ....
on the 737 family, not really an issue with any other aircraft

.... (and that we don't see more of these complaints on FT)!
Look in the Where to sit threads for the 737s, you will find discussion there.
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
on the 737 family, not really an issue with any other aircraft
Yes, although the coats / wall are behind row 3 on the A320, they don't seem to impede the recline. The wall does clearly, perceptibly limit the recline on the 737, though.
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat/1MM, DL SM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post

i never book row 5 on 737 or 3 on A320 just to be protected when they do equipment swaps

I don't know what the algorithm is but I've been in Row 2 of an A320 and was bumped back in to Y when there was an a/c swap to an A319. I don't think that avoiding the last row will necessarily protect you from anything. It certainly didn't protect me. There was even an open F seat but the Gate Agent refused to give it to me because he said that he had a paying F customer on the upgrade list. I had upgraded a month earlier using an RPU and had chosen that route because I could upgrade it using an RPU.

In any case, I do avoid the back row of F if possible because it often has limited recline
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
on the 737 family, not really an issue with any other aircraft.
Yup, absolutely. I actually like the last row of F so I can recline fully without worrying about the person in the seat behind me. This has screwed me at times when it comes to meal selection or an aircraft swap where it seems they rebook from the front to the back, but overall I prefer the last row of F.
Old Jan 29, 18, 8:11 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the feedback! Will update OP.

Good points about never choosing the last row. In my case last night, it was either a row 2 middle or row 3 window so I chanced it. Plus only an hour flight time.

Bizarre that UA doesn't think F pax deserve a reclining seat (and that we don't see more of these complaints on FT)!
umm...F doesn't have middle seats. Either window or aisle...
Old Jan 29, 18, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
Sorry, typed this too fast earlier -- of course, I mean 6BE. Row 5 is normal, but I think 6 has at least slightly limited recline on the 753.
Old Jan 29, 18, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
umm...F doesn't have middle seats. Either window or aisle...
LOL You know what I meant! In the middle of the plane. No window view aka aisle.
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:13 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
LOL You know what I meant! In the middle of the plane. No window view aka aisle.
LOL

The irony of seeking precise listings of specific F seat reclines while failing to properly identify specific seats in their own posts...by that logic, we can close this thread with the statement, "All F seats recline...sort of." :P
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:41 am

I believe it's confirmed that the 753s will get the new F seats already installed on Airbuses, so they eventually will all recline. Not sure about the 738s/739s.
Old Jun 30, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Does the rear row in F in the A319 (UA config 12 seat) recline?

I hate no recline - crazy that UA put those hard barriers behind the last F row in many planes ........ I think they are starting to take them out?? Anyway looked on expert flyer and seat guru and no joy.... If you know please let me know, Cheers

Edit -States A319 but I think it's an A320

Last edited by ermintrude; Jun 30, 19 at 1:44 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: