Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Luggage Safety Durng Long Frankfurt Layover

Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying to South Africa on Feb. 6, via United to Frankfurt, transferring to an evening South African Airways flight. Would my checked bag be safe during a 12-hour layover? I have been considering checking my bag to Frankfurt, picking it up there, then rechecking it with South African that evening. I'll be staying at the Sheraton day hotel during the layover. Any information/advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Yes, your bag will be fine during the long layover. Frankfurt is well equipped to manage bags like that.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RetiredFF
I will be flying to South Africa on Feb. 6, via United to Frankfurt, transferring to an evening South African Airways flight. Would my checked bag be safe during a 12-hour layover? I have been considering checking my bag to Frankfurt, picking it up there, then rechecking it with South African that evening. I'll be staying at the Sheraton day hotel during the layover. Any information/advice would be appreciated.

There are few airports in the world where it would be safer. Of course there are a couple of decent hotels right there so if you were going to take a room for a few hours of rest that's a good option too.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

I wouldn't bother picking up my bag and checkin it in again. Quite contrary I sometimes check in bags (Unfortunately not with United) the evening before an early morning flight, so that I can sleep longer. I'd just put some toiletries and a set of clothes to change in my hand luggage for the Shearton (which is very conveniently located for a day stay)

So long
-Ralf
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No need to pick up and recheck. Your bags will be just fine.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:56 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Had that length of layover many times bags are fine. Also had several misconnects in FRA where my bags had to be rerouted to a carrier other than my original carrier (LH) resulting in an unanticipated long layover, bags fine as well.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO DCA
Had that length of layover many times bags are fine. Also had several misconnects in FRA where my bags had to be rerouted to a carrier other than my original carrier (LH) resulting in an unanticipated long layover, bags fine as well.
Misconnects in FRA several times resulted in my bags staying in FRA overnight, to be delivered a day late at my final destination. It could be a security procedure, as I seemed to have heard from some airline agents.
This always happened TATL inbound with intra-EU onward connections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.