Award seats to AKL

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by SeaProf
NZ will have direct non-stop flights between Chicago and Auckland beginning at the end of November, if I remember correctly.
But will those be available as saver awards in the premium cabin?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:24 pm

So is it true that Air NZ only releases award space 90 days before departure? I am seeing a few in June and July but nothing in Dec/Jan.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Or they only release when it's winter down there, rarely if ever for Nov to March, when it's high season.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:34 pm

How about UA Polaris route. What’s their pattern?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie
So is it true that Air NZ only releases award space 90 days before departure? I am seeing a few in June and July but nothing in Dec/Jan.
Dec/Jan (mid summer) is a peak time for NZ travellers. Schools & universities finish the academic year late Nov/Dec and start again late Jan/Feb. Many people take 1~2~3 weeks holidays(vacation) at this time.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
There's a bunch of I space at the moment on NZ3 (LAX-AKL) due to it being retimed as a day flight, as well as NZ6 AKL-LAX.

Nothing as far out as the southern summer though.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about UA Polaris route. What’s their pattern?
It's extremely difficult to find UA longhaul award space, and SFO-AKL is one of the tougher routes given the fact that there's a ton of demand for paid seats and its only thrice-weekly. When it goes year-round in 2019, you might see some shoulder-season availability. In general, though, there's no real pattern for UA availability, except that they'll often open up a few seats at the last minute if they have extras, and you can always waitlist for a business award, which would get you last-seat availability.

While the award calendar isn't accurate in general, it shows exactly one date with SFO-AKL I space on UA metal in December/January -- the Monday, January 7 flight is R9 I2 right now. So, anybody who wants to go to New Zealand after the New Year, act now.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In the past they have only released I space within 90 days of departure. It's also much more common (read: only found) in the southern winter.

Originally Posted by jsloan
While the award calendar isn't accurate in general, it shows exactly one date with SFO-AKL I space on UA metal in December/January -- the Monday, January 7 flight is R9 I2 right now. So, anybody who wants to go to New Zealand after the New Year, act now.
That's an outstanding deal. Book it!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

I managed to get a saver award, SFO-AKL-WLG and AKL-SFO in January.

The plan is to end the trip in Queenstown and buy a separate ticket for ZQN-AKL on the morning of my outbound, which departs at 15:30.

So I figure I could take a flight that is scheduled to land at AKL at 12:15 but the FTers on the NZ forum is saying that's not reliable.

1. NZ doesn't interline to UA. Maybe because they want people to buy tickets which includes checked bags or pay for checked bags separately?

2. They say the NZ lounge (not sure if it's for *A business class or for general *A gold members) is 1.7 km from the gate.

3. Departures for the USA require additional screening like questions and so on.

So the recommendation is to either fly the first flight out of ZQN apt 6:40 AM or spend the night before in Auckland (which I found to have overpriced hotels, on a previous visit there).

Has anyone dealt with linking up outbound itineraries on separate NZ and UA tickets?

It can't be so complicated?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by wco81
I managed to get a saver award, SFO-AKL-WLG and AKL-SFO in January.

The plan is to end the trip in Queenstown and buy a separate ticket for ZQN-AKL on the morning of my outbound, which departs at 15:30.

So I figure I could take a flight that is scheduled to land at AKL at 12:15 but the FTers on the NZ forum is saying that's not reliable.

1. NZ doesn't interline to UA. Maybe because they want people to buy tickets which includes checked bags or pay for checked bags separately?

2. They say the NZ lounge (not sure if it's for *A business class or for general *A gold members) is 1.7 km from the gate.

3. Departures for the USA require additional screening like questions and so on.

So the recommendation is to either fly the first flight out of ZQN apt 6:40 AM or spend the night before in Auckland (which I found to have overpriced hotels, on a previous visit there).

Has anyone dealt with linking up outbound itineraries on separate NZ and UA tickets?

It can't be so complicated?
I have not had separate tickets in AKL, but did fly NZ LAX-AKL-SYD-AKL-SYD last Christmas/January in PE with a separate UA SAN-LAX-SAN ticket in Y.

1. NZ is part of Star Alliance and was able to interline my bag both ways. I have also interlined with some more obscure airlines out of SAN (Star Alliance) and it takes a bit of work for the check-in agent but it is very doable.

2. The lounge is a bit of a walk but they make announcements and I enjoy the walking between flights to get the blood flowing. The lounge is airside and very nice. The ordering for coffee is a bit confusing when you are jetlagged, ;-)

3. Normal every single place I fly from

It is not complicated, although the screening for transit passengers is a tad frustrating as it is full screening (so if you are used to TSA-pre you need to be prepared, although again it is the same way in many other international airports.)

The one thing I did notice during my stopovers in AKL were a fair number of delayed domestic flights at AKL, so for the ZQN-AKL you may want to arrive in AKL the night before the day of departure. It is summer and all the usual tropical weather that can entail. I appreciate the hotel at AKL may be more expensive but what would be the cost of missing the flight due to a delay out of ZQN?

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Sep 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

United Miles to fly Air New Zealand on business class

How can i use united miles to fly business class on air New Zealand. I can't seem to find any flights
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
NZ releases very few award seats Award seats to AKL and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...7-forward.html
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hayleigh Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by hayleigh
How can I use United miles to fly business class on Air New Zealand. I can't seem to find any flights
What route? USA to NZ? When?
Air NZ release very few long haul awards to partners. Some time awards are released a few weeks before.

A few years ago I booked a UA ff award AKL-SFO on Air NZ 3 weeks before the flight.

UA fly SFO-AKL
SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)
New UA SFO-AKL service from 1st July '16
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
I once found a AIR NZ award in business and was super excited, as it seemed like the holy grail of award bookings with United miles. And TBH, I was disappointed in the experience. While their business class may have been ahead of its time when it was introduced, it now feels dated (at least the hard product). Soft product is still good, but I would try for an award booking on UA's SFO-AKL route, especially since it has the new Polaris product, which is light years ahead of AirNZ. (Granted - finding award space on that flight may be equally difficult.)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I would try for an award booking on UA's SFO-AKL route, especially since it has the new Polaris product, which is light years ahead of AirNZ. (Granted - finding award space on that flight may be equally difficult.)
I think much depends on time of year . . . December, forget it. June, maybe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.