Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flights leaving early with delayed connecting passengers should be penalized

Flights leaving early with delayed connecting passengers should be penalized

Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This thread should be in Travelbuzz. Anyway, I still maintain that departure time should be when the doors are closed, not when the paperwork is done, not when you start talking to ATC, not when the parking brake gets released, not when the airplane starts physically moving back, not when the airplane starts moving forward under its own power, not when takeoff clearance is given, not when takeoff roll begins, not at V1, and not at wheels up. Everything that occurs AFTER the doors are closed is someone else's problem, not mine. Why am I expected to give the airline extra time to do all this stuff behind the scenes? I know that it exists... my point is that *I don't care*.

Publish a departure time (close the doors) and publish an arrival time (estimated time of arrival at the gate given a departure time + paperwork + talk to ATC + blah blah blah + etc.)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
ATC delay cancelled - passengers not at gate

Variation on a theme....

What should happen when an ATC delay is cancelled, all passengers in the gate area have boarded, and it's now the original boarding time, BUT, several passengers aren't in the gate area?

Yesterday, GSO-EWR, EMB-145, scheduled departure 5:35pm. Received ATC delay notification at 2:08pm that the flight will now depart at 6:41pm. At 5:20pm the pilot comes out and tells the GA that they've just lifted the ATC delay and we can leave on-time if everyone boards right away. 5-10 minutes later everyone in the gate area had boarded. At about T+5, the pilot comes on the PA and announces that several checked-in passengers couldn't be located, so they had to wait. He said one factor in waiting was that UA didn't change the delayed departure time on the App/Website, and they felt that those passengers were relying on the online info. Several passengers started grumbling about their tight connections in EWR. Needless to say, when the 4 missing passengers showed up, they weren't exactly welcomed on. We backed away from the gate at 6:04pm, then lost our EWR slot & sat on the tarmac awhile. Ended up arriving 30 minutes late in EWR, and that was only because of a strong tail wind.

Did UA do the right thing? The rules say you have to be at the gate at the original departure time, but how many infrequent flyers know that? I'm guessing the late arriving passengers had timed their arrival at the airport to the delay time, since you can walk the length of the GSO airport in about 10 minutes and they would have heard the announcement that the flight was boarding. I would hate to think that any of the passengers who did board initially then missed their EWR connections.

Once again, shows how consideration to one group of passengers can adversely impact another group.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Anyway, I still maintain that departure time should be when the doors are closed
That time is printed on your (UA) boarding pass. "Boarding Ends." Trying to get the industry to change its nomenclature due to your preference is going to be tilting at windmills.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's not correct.

There are several metrics that are reported to the DOT. D:00, A:00, and A:14. A flight is considers on-time only if it arrives at the arrival gate within 14 minutes of the scheduled arrival time (A:14). Touching down or taking off have no bearing on the on-time reports.

D:00 means that the airplane began it's pushback no later than the scheduled departure time. In order to meet D:00, the door has to be closed, jetbridge moved, F/A arm & crosscheck complete and ensure that all passengers are seated, belted, and carry-on bags stowed. At that point they tell us that the cabin is prepared and close the cockpit door. Once that is done, and the ramp crew is ready, we call the ramp tower for pushback clearance. Often, we must wait a few minutes for traffic to clear before we are given our pushback clearance. Only then can the pushback begin and our OUT time be established. To depart on-time, D:00, the passenger door has to close several minutes before the scheduled departure time. That is why the boarding times and cutoffs are set as they are.

D:00 is only important internally as D:00 is the first building block for achieving the ultimate goal of A:00. The "on-time" stats from the DOT, and in the computer reservation systems, are not based on D:00, they are based on A:14.

United is expanding the technology to consider more factors than just D:00 when deciding whether or not to hold a flight for connecting passengers. The new IT is combining information on flight plan time, down-line connections, reroute options, crew time limitations, other flights holding for the gate, etc. and recommend when, and for how long, to hold flights. I don't deal with this directly so don't know the details of how it is implemented but it should lead to smarter go/hold decisions going forward.

To the OP, I'm sorry that you missed your connection. Operating flights on time, including the delayed inbound flight which ultimately caused your delay and misconnect, is a priority for all of us. Getting from your inbound flight to the departure gate so quickly is impressive. Most passengers would not have been able to make it that quickly which likely influenced the gate agent's decision to close the flight when he/she did. They have a screen in Aero which displays all the relevant information on inbound connecting passengers along with the arrival gate and flight status information. This gives them a pretty good idea of who can make the connection and who will not.
I realize how poorly worded my response was. I was referring not to DOT "on time" statistics, but the definition of an "on time departure" and how "on time departure" is impossible if the door is closed at the "departure time". Thanks for correcting and clarifying.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Let me add my empathy to the OP.

OP, you said
Seriously poor customer service on the part of United, especially since the flight was due to arrive early in SAN and they knew there was a connecting passanger. I was in seat 1A and an a 1K member - obviously United do not care for my business. I had really thought UA was improving in the area of customer service and my recent experiences had cofirmed this but this was a dreadful lapse by them.
IMO, how or what UA did to re-accommodate you is really what you should use in evaluating how much UA cares (in regards to you and your status). As a fellow 1K, I expect a certain better level of service when it comes to this. Were you booked (automatically?) onto the next SAN flight? Did you have to talk to someone and they put you on that? Were you aware of any alternatives, and if so, did you present those to the gate agent/customer service? Did the UA person helping you make an honest effort to get you to SAN?

In regards to your comment about the 45 minute connection, lots of people have different tolerances for risk. I wouldn't really care unless it was the last flight of the night, since 1) LAX-SAN is not that far and 2) There are plenty of other flights a day between the cities. If I absolutely, positively had to be on that flight or get to SAN as early as possible, then I would have booked an earlier LAS-LAX flight or even the night before or paid more - otherwise, go with the flow and don't take it personal (it's not).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Variation on a theme....

What should happen when an ATC delay is cancelled, all passengers in the gate area have boarded, and it's now the original boarding time, BUT, several passengers aren't in the gate area?

Yesterday, GSO-EWR, EMB-145, scheduled departure 5:35pm. Received ATC delay notification at 2:08pm that the flight will now depart at 6:41pm. At 5:20pm the pilot comes out and tells the GA that they've just lifted the ATC delay and we can leave on-time if everyone boards right away. 5-10 minutes later everyone in the gate area had boarded. At about T+5, the pilot comes on the PA and announces that several checked-in passengers couldn't be located, so they had to wait. He said one factor in waiting was that UA didn't change the delayed departure time on the App/Website, and they felt that those passengers were relying on the online info. Several passengers started grumbling about their tight connections in EWR. Needless to say, when the 4 missing passengers showed up, they weren't exactly welcomed on. We backed away from the gate at 6:04pm, then lost our EWR slot & sat on the tarmac awhile. Ended up arriving 30 minutes late in EWR, and that was only because of a strong tail wind.

Did UA do the right thing? The rules say you have to be at the gate at the original departure time, but how many infrequent flyers know that? I'm guessing the late arriving passengers had timed their arrival at the airport to the delay time, since you can walk the length of the GSO airport in about 10 minutes and they would have heard the announcement that the flight was boarding. I would hate to think that any of the passengers who did board initially then missed their EWR connections.

Once again, shows how consideration to one group of passengers can adversely impact another group.
Every time that my plane was showing delayed, there was a very clear statement saying that you have to plan to be at the airport for the original time. Other times, when the plane is delayed, the statement is to stay near the gate so you can hear any new announcements. Sometimes, when the plane is delayed the announcement is that it's a good time to go to the rest room but do not wander around.

In some small airports, if your plane is delayed and you know the inbound has not arrived, you can time it that way. But for an ATC delay with the plane already at the airport, I would never trust it.
ContinentalFan and rufflesinc like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In some small airports, if your plane is delayed and you know the inbound has not arrived, you can time it that way. But for an ATC delay with the plane already at the airport, I would never trust it.
Agreed. LAX-ORD, I've had ATC delays jump back and forth between 4.5 hours and "on-time".
If UA gets a slot and the plane is on the ground, it's going to board and take that slot. They're not 'waiting' for anyone basing on the fact that you "thought" it was going to be 4.5 hours delayed so you made plans.
It sucks, but it is what it is. The time of one person vs. the time of an entire aircraft (and even more flights since the aircraft will be utilized upon arrival at its destination city).
DJ_Iceman and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:42 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences, very interesting. My personal two take home is that 45 minutes is a much shorter connection in reality than on paper. I think I'll take that into account a bit more when choosing connections.

Oh, and that sometimes when you late really close to departure you should relax and save yourself the run through the airport. Now whether I'll actually be able to bring myself to do that when I deplane at T-10 we'll have to see.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TCD
Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences, very interesting. My personal two take home is that 45 minutes is a much shorter connection in reality than on paper. I think I'll take that into account a bit more when choosing connections.

Oh, and that sometimes when you late really close to departure you should relax and save yourself the run through the airport. Now whether I'll actually be able to bring myself to do that when I deplane at T-10 we'll have to see.
It is. I've almost always 'run' literally as fast as my young millennial legs can go from one connection to the other if it is listed on paper as 45 minutes.

Best advice on this thread is if you think it's tight, such as at T-10, ask the gate agent upon deplaning to radio ahead and inform them that you're coming, to leave your ticket valid, and to hold the plane. While not guaranteed, it may help!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
This thread should be in Travelbuzz. Anyway, I still maintain that departure time should be when the doors are closed, not when the paperwork is done, not when you start talking to ATC, not when the parking brake gets released, not when the airplane starts physically moving back, not when the airplane starts moving forward under its own power, not when takeoff clearance is given, not when takeoff roll begins, not at V1, and not at wheels up. Everything that occurs AFTER the doors are closed is someone else's problem, not mine. Why am I expected to give the airline extra time to do all this stuff behind the scenes? I know that it exists... my point is that *I don't care*.

Publish a departure time (close the doors) and publish an arrival time (estimated time of arrival at the gate given a departure time + paperwork + talk to ATC + blah blah blah + etc.)
Closing doors at some time prior to departure time is an age-old practice.....it's pretty much always been that way. I would assume that its the same fo ship cruises....that you must be aboard some time before departure to give them time to remove gang planks, remove connections to the pier, etc.....also, with air travel, there needs to be a cutoff time prior to departure to allow agents to process standbys, upgrades, print manifests, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
OP had a choice to fly non-stop on DL or WN or drive 5 hours , but choose to connect on UA? First world problems indeed!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What is the point of publishing a "departure time" if the real departure time is always sooner than that?...
There's a scheduled departure time. Anyone who has flown a lot knows that the time the airplane pushes is highly variable - it might be early if everyone has boarded or it might be late (eg, if ATC or other tarmac movements preluded the push, etc). In any case, it's rarely on the exact minute of the published schedule. What CAN be fixed is 15 minutes before "scheduled" departure. That is the time UA has decided they need passengers to be available for boarding. Are you really expecting an aircraft to always depart on the exact published minute irrespective of anything else going on?

Airplane loaded except one missing passenger who is not at gate area and another aircraft waiting on gate that has arrived late loaded with passengers w/ tight connections? Your solution is to wait for the one passenger and perhaps cause 20 misconnects? There's a reason we don't dictate how our personal flights ought to be operated. UA has a lot more things going on besides a late passenger, a GA, and a door. If you're affected, you automatically discount anything else going on - you just see a door, a GA, and plane that you're not on. Next time you're on a plane that's an hour late and you're waiting on a gate w/ a tight connection wondering "when the heck is that damn plane gonna get the heck out of there?", you might appreciate the fact that they closed the flight when they did (instead of making you wait another 10 minutes).

We've all been both the beneficiary and victim of UA's operational decisions. It all works out in the long run.
rufflesinc likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 29, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: none
A point made earlier, but deserves repeating, is that if there are legitimate standby's for the flight, your seat can be reassigned to someone else who is already there. That's exactly what "standby" means. They're not as likely to "un-clear" someone just because you happen to arrive late. So, even if the plane is still sitting at the gate, your seat may not be.

Last edited by Allan38103; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
OP had a choice to fly non-stop on DL or WN or drive 5 hours , but choose to connect on UA? First world problems indeed!
I had switched from flying WN due to a significant number of delayed flights LAS-SAN. I do drive between San Diego and Las Vegas but not on Sundays as it is a traffic lot leaving Las Vegas on Sunday afternoons.

Interestingly enough I have had a couple of delayed flights LAS-SFO but always made my SFO-SAN connection as invariably the same plane was being used. I now understand it is T-15 (based on responses above) and will not run for a flight. Yes, they accommodated me on the next flight so got to sit a gate at LAX for two hours. If I had known they would leave without me I would have got off the plane in T7, walked to T6 to sit in the AS lounge for a couple of hours and then walked to T8. I am a 1k but this is because I fly internationally and have been increasing my domestic travel with UA during the past year. Yes, one of my friends who i meet up with in LAS and MSY is always trying to convince me to switch to DL but his luggage never goes the same place as him (well to be fair around 25% of the time his luggage travels with him). I had already booked my next SAN-LAS flight and it is through SFO so am anticipating delays but making my (delayed) connections. Also, the Centurion lounge is a nice place to wait in SFO.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's not correct.

There are several metrics that are reported to the DOT including D:00, A:00, and A:14. A flight is considered on-time only if it arrives at the arrival gate within 14 minutes of the scheduled arrival time (A:14). Touching down or taking off have no bearing on the on-time reports.

D:00 means that the airplane began it's pushback no later than the scheduled departure time. In order to meet D:00, the door has to be closed, jetbridge moved, F/A arm & crosscheck complete and ensure that all passengers are seated, belted, and carry-on bags stowed. At that point they tell us that the cabin is prepared and close the cockpit door. Once that is done, and the ramp crew is ready, we call the ramp tower for pushback clearance. Often, we must wait a few minutes for traffic to clear before we are given our pushback clearance. Only then can the pushback begin and our OUT time be established. To depart on-time, D:00, the passenger door has to close several minutes before the scheduled departure time. That is why the boarding times and cutoffs are set as they are.

D:00 is only important internally as D:00 is the first building block for achieving the ultimate goal of A:00. The "on-time" stats from the DOT, and in the computer reservation systems, are not based on D:00, they are based on A:14.

United is expanding the technology to consider more factors than just D:00 when deciding whether or not to hold a flight for connecting passengers. The new IT is combining information on flight plan time, down-line connections, reroute options, crew time limitations, other flights holding for the gate, etc. and recommend when, and for how long, to hold flights. I don't deal with this directly so don't know the details of how it is implemented but it should lead to smarter go/hold decisions going forward.

To the OP, I'm sorry that you missed your connection. Operating flights on time, including the delayed inbound flight which ultimately caused your delay and misconnect, is a priority for all of us. Getting from your inbound flight to the departure gate so quickly is impressive. Most passengers would not have been able to make it that quickly which likely influenced the gate agent's decision to close the flight when he/she did. They have a screen in Aero which displays all the relevant information on inbound connecting passengers along with the arrival gate and flight status information. This gives them a pretty good idea of who can make the connection and who will not.
For those who don't know, UA is focusing on D0. This has been discussed in a previous thread. They are spinning it as customer friendly, when in reality for the vast majority of PAX it is detrimental. Also for my flight habits I could care less about A0, but I do care about A14. However improved D0 apparently means greater profitability to UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.