Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-10 LAX-EWR today, 20 Dec. 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
787-10 LAX-EWR today, 20 Dec. 2018

I awoke early today for my flight from LAX-EWR and looked to see if I could get on an earlier flight. To my surprise, UA25 at 8:15am was showing as a 787-10. I was able to switch and snag a premium plus seat.

Awaiting take-off ( a few minutes late since maintenance is checking some of the new equipment). Seems nice so far.
MBS MillionMiler and narvik like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jtrader
I awoke early today for my flight from LAX-EWR and looked to see if I could get on an earlier flight. To my surprise, UA25 at 8:15am was showing as a 787-10. I was able to switch and snag a premium plus seat.

Awaiting take-off ( a few minutes late since maintenance is checking some of the new equipment). Seems nice so far.
Congrats!

David
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
How was the UG list?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:55 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Is Channel 9 offered on these /10 series birds???
riphamilton likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Is Channel 9 offered on these /10 series birds???
There doesn't seem to be Channel 9, but not sure if I'm looking in the right place.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
How was the UG list?
I transferred to the flight last minute. Since I was in premium plus, I wanted to try it out and didn't try to upgrade. However, when I looked at the list it appeared that there were a pretty large number of upgrades, more than typical for this route.

The flight ended up leaving 1hr 45min late due to maintenance issues. The potable water system wasn't working and it had to be formally decommissioned. Since the aircraft is new, it took the maintenance crew a long time to figure out how to follow the procedures. So, no water in sinks in the bathrooms (they furnished anti-microbial wipes). Also, power outlets weren't working. Still glad to be on the flight. Premium Economy is no substitute for business class, but a material improvement above E+.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2018 at 1:04 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I transferred to the flight last minute. Since I was in premium plus, I wanted to try it out and didn't try to upgrade. However, when I looked at the list it appeared that there were a pretty large number of upgrades, more than typical for this route.
That makes sense, if it's replacing what was going to be a 787-8. Many more business seats than they planned on.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
There doesn't seem to be Channel 9, but not sure if I'm looking in the right place.
in the IFE menu, look for 'audio', and then 'from the flight deck.' (at least this is how it works on the 77E).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riphamilton
in the IFE menu, look for 'audio', and then 'from the flight deck.' (at least this is how it works on the 77E).
I looked under audio, but didn't see any thing resembling "from the flight deck"
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
That makes sense, if it's replacing what was going to be a 787-8. Many more business seats than they planned on.
Not sure I would call eight seats "many more"

But definitely a much nicer J seat.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The potable water system wasn't working and it had to be formally decommissioned.
What exactly did this "formal decommissioning" entail? I'm envisioning a ceremony with bagpipes and plumbers in their "dress" uniforms.
LAX-1K, EWR764, seanp7 and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The flight ended up leaving 1hr 45min late due to maintenance issues. The potable water system wasn't working and it had to be formally decommissioned. Since the aircraft is new, it took the maintenance crew a long time to figure out how to follow the procedures. So, no water in sinks in the bathrooms (they furnished anti-microbial wipes). Also, power outlets weren't working. Still glad to be on the flight. Premium Economy is no substitute for business class, but a material improvement above E+.
Shouldn't these systems work on a new plane? Don't they test these systems before leaving the factory for the new owner?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: UA
I looked under audio, but didn't see any thing resembling "from the flight deck"
Saw someone tweet that was on the delivery flight that the -10 doesn't have from the flight deck, it seems that none of the 787s have it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Shouldn't these systems work on a new plane? Don't they test these systems before leaving the factory for the new owner?
the water yes, however the seats are from a contractor so perhaps getting the power to work is UAs issue?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Fairly normal for a brand new airplane to have "squawks" with various systems early on. It takes a little breaking in, and as seen here, maintenance needs some time to get familiar with a new type.
Kacee and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.