Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]

Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Is there a maximum number of PQM offered?

If I recall correctly the choices are some percentage of the trip booked no?

I'm trying to score 36,000 miles and 6k of spend before year end. I could book the business class ticket to Hong Kong but that costs me 8k. Trying to figure out my options here, including Award Accelerator.

Last edited by DCEsquire; Nov 6, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reason: Edited 4k to 6k b/c of 12k spend requirement. Sigh.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:26 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Years ago (back in Continental Airlines days) I purchased 100k EQMs as a test to see if it were possible. But who knows anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to score 36,000 miles and 6k of spend before year end. I could book the business class ticket to Hong Kong but that costs me 8k. Trying to figure out my options here, including Award Accelerator.
Despite the fact that Premier Accelerator is essentially free money for UA, it doesn't count toward PQD. I think you're better off finding a $6K itinerary to fly that will bring in 36K PQMs.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

If I recall correctly the choices are some percentage of the trip booked no?

Back when I looked at accelerator (only bought twice, and like RNE pre merger), yes it seems it was a percentage.

Note, you don't actually have to fly your chosen "trip" because you can buy accelerator and cancel "trip" under 24 hour policy. UA knows people do this, but are happy to take the ca$h for the miles.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Despite the fact that Premier Accelerator is essentially free money for UA, it doesn't count toward PQD. I think you're better off finding a $6K itinerary to fly that will bring in 36K PQMs.
Agree, this is where a Mileage/Dollar run seems like a no brainer. Perhaps a $2K extra to fly to HKG .... how about flying via NRT/HND, that may lower price v nonstop and get extra miles.
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And next year we will not be talking about missing $6,000 for the PQD but missing $9,000. That's a lot of money. That's when I would consider just staying at UA Gold.
EmailKid and BeeeJay like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
There's no limit on total PQM, but there is a limit on any one trip (depends on distance and other factors.) But IMHO PQM are no longer worth buying (even if you have PQD exemption) because

a) The price is a lot higher than it used to be
b) They've devalued the MP program so the benefits of status are a lot lower. (GPU are basically worthless.... I had 6 expire last year.)
c) When you buy PQM, they jack up the price on subsequent purchases so you have no idea how much it will actually cost you to attain status.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Take a couple of days in SIN. Priced in your range and higher on the PQM
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Take a couple of days in SIN. Priced in your range and higher on the PQM
Actually looked into SIN but it's almost 10k. HKG could work but it's 8k. Gets me to 103k for the year.

I was hoping to be able to go some place nice and looked into HNL (and combine with some accelerator PQM) but (and I can't believe I'm even saying this), I can't find a ticket that's more than the 5k I need to hit the PQD threshold. Feel like asking if I can ask a rep to increase ticket price for me...

I have a new baby so I was hoping to be able to use the GPUs for my wife next year which is why I'm going to the ends of the earth to try to hit 1k again this year.

Last edited by DCEsquire; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:28 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Actually looked into SIN but it's almost 10k. HKG could work but it's 8k. Gets me to 103k for the year.

I was hoping to be able to go some place nice and looked into HNL (and combine with some accelerator PQM) but (and I can't believe I'm even saying this), I can't find a ticket that's more than the 5k I need to hit the PQD threshold. Feel like asking if I can ask a rep to increase ticket price for me...

I have a new baby so I was hoping to be able to use the GPUs for my wife next year which is why I'm going to the ends of the earth to try to hit 1k again this year.
Try looking at EWR as a starting point it can prices out @5-6K. IAD / EWR relocation FLTs are relatively inexpensive. Linked together UA’s pricing is stupid (@2x) over separate itineraries

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Nov 8, 2018 at 4:35 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
I've never purchased the Premier Accelerator PQMs and trying to plan one last trip this year. based on non-stops to considering out of the way connection routings, I'm going to be 3000 to about 50 miles short of platinum best I can figure. In the past thiI've been offered the RDM accelerator up to 4000 miles. So can someone explain if I then opt to do the PQM Accelerator option will I get an additional 4000PQM offer to buy? Is that guarenteed to be there as I usually don't pay attention? Honestly, I'd rather buy the last few miles than do a MR this year...but concerned on getting so close with all the other requirements met whether I will get an additional PQM purchase offer to cross the finish line.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mike1968
,,,,So can someone explain if I then opt to do the PQM Accelerator option will I get an additional 4000PQM offer to buy?,,,.
There is a fixed1-to-1 relationship between the RDM offer and the PQM offer.
There will be two RDM offers (with a matching PQM).

The number of RDMs/PQMs offer varies, see discussion in Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions and in particular the thread's wiki
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: ex 1K-lite, now struggling to stay Silver. 30k more til Million Miles.
Award Accel Experience just now

Just purchased a transcon BWI-SFO ticket in C 2 days away for ~$900 vs $600 in Econ. Fare difference of ~$300 for 2450 additional PQMs = ~$.12/PQM.
At purchase, Award Accelerator options presented were for more miles at this exact cost per mile as the line above; 2500 miles for $63 (Award Miles) and $225 for Premier Accelerator miles, OR 5000 for $120 and $450, which cost out to $.115 / mile.
Decided not to purchase. Moved on to next task.
Found a good ticket for return trip next month, direct, for $319, and purchased 7 day farelock.
Then went to check award accel options addable to my existing purchased westbound reservation. This time the costs per mile were again the same but the mileage increments were different, at 5k and 10k miles.
I now wish I had purchased the first lower offer since I only will need about another 1 thousand miles to retain silver status.
Will reevaluate when I pull the trigger and purchase eastbound trip, and will also consider a shorter trip at end of year to attain my final miles for 25k for 2018. Comments welcomed. I've never purchased miles without flying them before.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA, OZ
Rate of ORD-YYZ on Class Z on 29 Nov

I was offered the following rate at airport when check in.
I have a question: if I select 4000 additional miles, does that also means 4k PQM? (If I chose the "360 more" ) which means total of $460 to get 4000 PQM + 4000 miles?

I
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ShenW
I was offered the following rate at airport when check in.
I have a question: if I select 4000 additional miles, does that also means 4k PQM? (If I chose the "360 more" ) which means total of $460 to get 4000 PQM + 4000 miles?
The top row is RDMs, once you select an RDM offer, you then can select the corresponding PQM offer (the bottom row). The PQM quantity is the same as the RDM quantity.

So, yes in this case, for $460 you get 4,000 PQMs plus 4,000 RDMs
ShenW likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Trying to purchase 40K PQMs within 24 hr cancellation period. Any recommendations on which fare class and route to book. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.