Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:54 pm
ml1
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

It seems the accelerator offers are broken. Clicking on the get miles image takes me to a page that shows:

! Only United MileagePlus members may take advantage of this offer.
Entering the MP number shows outrageously high numbers, like $0.33 per mile.

Is this broken for everyone?

P.S. I don't see a thread for 2018 rate reports.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ml1
It seems the accelerator offers are broken. Clicking on the get miles image takes me to a page that shows:

! Only United MileagePlus members may take advantage of this offer.
That's normal if not logged in

Originally Posted by ml1
Entering the MP number shows outrageously high numbers, like $0.33 per mile. ...
Not unusually for PQM rates in January to be similar to the end of December rates. UA does not seem to get around to reducing rates into late into February. And it may be March / April before they get to the summer low values.

Will put the past year's links in the wiki for reference

Originally Posted by ml1
P.S. I don't see a thread for 2018 rate reports.
You get to kick it off -- Not terribly common to be a lot of PQM purchasing this early in the year
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:47 pm
ml1
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's normal if not logged in
I was logged in. I've never not been logged in when viewing my own reservations.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not unusually for PQM rates in January to be similar to the end of December rates. UA does not seem to get around to reducing rates into late into February. And it may be March / April before they get to the summer low values.

Will put the past year's links in the wiki for reference

You get to kick it off -- Not terribly common to be a lot of PQM purchasing this early in the year
Good point. I was just curious because of several upcoming flights and the fact I probably won't make it without the accelerator.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ml1
I was logged in. I've never not been logged in when viewing my own reservations. ...
If it asked you for a MP account, you were not fully logged in (there can be a quasi logged in state) or some mixture of accounts are being used (booking account vs viewing account) or a cookie issue. This need for an account id was common 3-4 years ago but have not heard if it recently.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:38 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I also get the "Only United MileagePlus members may take advantage of this offer" when logged in with my MP account. Deleted cookies and tried again, but same situation.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm new to United. Basically, I'm a displaced VX flyer.

My first ever UA trip was SFO - PHX, roundtrip, this past weekend. Flying F, if it matters. On both legs I was offered:

$50 for 2k award miles
$75 for 3k award miles
$210 for 2k award + 2k PQM
$305 for 3k award + 3k PQM

That backs out to 2.5c per award mile and 8c per PQM. I have no idea if that's a "good" deal or not. I declined all of it. I really have no idea what status is worth because I'm new. 2.5c per award mile seems not terrible but also not spectacular.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Couple data points on current reservations:

CLE-ORD-MSY and back reservation
11,000 RDM for $275; 11,000 PQM for $1100 more
9000 RDM for $225; 9000 PQM for $900 more

CLE-BOS and back reservation
8000 RDM for $200; 8000 PQM for $800 more
6000 RDM for $150; 6000 PQM for $600 more

So, 2.5cpm for RDM and 10cpm for PQMs; same as late last year for me. They probably knew last November and December that I wasn't going to buy the Premier Accelerator at least...wasn't going to be worth it to buy them to get to 1K from Plat.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My first ever UA trip was SFO - PHX, roundtrip, this past weekend. Flying F, if it matters. On both legs I was offered:

$50 for 2k award miles
$75 for 3k award miles
$210 for 2k award + 2k PQM
$305 for 3k award + 3k PQM

That backs out to 2.5c per award mile and 8c per PQM. I have no idea if that's a "good" deal or not. I declined all of it. I really have no idea what status is worth because I'm new. 2.5c per award mile seems not terrible but also not spectacular.
2.5 cents per award miles is pretty poor, and a combined 10.5 cents per PQM is pretty standard as these offers go.

Generally speaking, neither are worth taking unless you have a plan for the miles. You can get award miles cheaper by churning credit cards, and PQM cheaper by flying.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Well for a DEN-MEL I just got offered 20k award miles for $400 and +$3k for 20k PQM.
That's a whopping 17c/PQM. Highest I ever got last year was 12. 2c/award mile seems not THAt horrible tho.

Yikes
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
And a weird update not even 12 hours later...

I made a domestic booking which gave me a rate of 0.12 for PQM which was far more expected, and 0.2 for Award Miles.

Then I went BACK to the booking mentioned above and the rate had GONE DOWN for PQM from 0.17 to 0.14 ?!!! the base award mile rate was the same, but charging less for the PQM.

I will note this is also after I took up the 0.12 offer and bought 10k miles... that is all very odd. I've never see the rate vary in an offer attached the a booking before (but this may be a FAQ and normal behaviour.. I've just never seen it happen before).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
On Checking mystatus.united.com, I get a banner for PQM/PQS sale. The best rate is for 15,000 miles AND 15 segments for $1570 at a rate of $0.104 - which is the best I have seen in a couple of years. My current reservations show offers at $0.15 and $0.2 per PQM. Considering I am not going to fly much this year and I need to keep my *G status, I am inclined to buy this now. This is the first time I have seen a PQM + PQS sale or I may have never focused on PQS.

Last edited by IADFlyer123; Mar 14, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
On Checking mystatus.united.com, I get a banner for PQM/PQS sale. The best rate is for 15,000 miles AND 15 segments for $1570 at a rate of $0.104 - which is the best I have seen in a couple of years. My current reservations show offers at $0.15 and $0.2 per PQM. Considering I am not going to fly much this year and I need to keep my *G status, I am inclined to buy this now. This is the first time I have seen a PQM + PQS sale or I may have never focused on PQS.
I like *G status as much as the next person, but if you're not going to fly much this year, is it really worth $1570? The two biggest perks, as far as I'm concerned, are lounge access on international itineraries and E+ at booking on UA-operated flights. You can get lounge access with a United Club membership and E+ with an E+ subscription and still spend less than $1570. And you might find you're only 6K miles away at the end of the year, not 15K, meaning that a quick mileage run or a smaller purchase then might do the trick.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I like *G status as much as the next person, but if you're not going to fly much this year, is it really worth $1570? The two biggest perks, as far as I'm concerned, are lounge access on international itineraries and E+ at booking on UA-operated flights. You can get lounge access with a United Club membership and E+ with an E+ subscription and still spend less than $1570. And you might find you're only 6K miles away at the end of the year, not 15K, meaning that a quick mileage run or a smaller purchase then might do the trick.
Good points. Even after calculating all the flights in the year, I was going to be at a measly 32k PQM. Having a *G helps with the fees and ability to pick E+ seats at booking (for International flights - as that subscription is $800 ish) and early boarding on partners (for peace of mind and also sometimes with the baby). Overall, i think I would break even.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
... This is the first time I have seen a PQM + PQS sale or I may have never focused on PQS.
Has occurred a couple times a year for the past 3-4 years. the most recent Targeted - Boost your Premier qualifying miles & segments for $$ [Consolidated 2018]
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Data point from e-mail received today touting 20% (at least) discount.

"Our everyday price for purchasing award miles is 3.5 cents/mile plus a 7.5% federal excise tax. Compare Award Accelerator offer (the prices shown include federal excise tax) with this rate to calculate the discount you are getting on your offer."

Whether I click through or log in and view the reservation, I'm seeing 2 cpm award miles (25K or 50K), and 12 cpm PQM.

For $5600 I can book J to MUC (from SFO) and get 23,500 PQM, over 60,000 award miles (1K), and 5,500 PQD. I'd rather take the trip for the extra $2000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.