Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
"What would you have them do?

They can't just let the passenger board without a ticket. They won't be on the manifest, and that breaks all sorts of laws."

There have been many postive articles about holding the plane or the pilot going back to the gate for a family in such a situation. Instead of making a crass and insensitive comment, the ga could have reached out to the pilot to see if they could stay at the gate for a few more minutes to see if the ta could be reached and resolve.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
You will not find many friends of that view here. Many are required to e.g. buy through a corporate TA then UA needs to 'fix' the ticket to e.g. apply an upgrade. Happens all the time. No reason for cancellation ... the TA screwed up, not UA.
This is consistent with my experience - all my tickets for work are booked through an in house (contract) TA, and we have a preferred carrier deal with UA. The agents at the TA use their own credit cards, so the original payment isn't in my name, either. I routinely have gone in on the UA website and changed my own tickets without any ill effects - there were maybe three years recently when I never flew an itinerary as originally booked, and few, if any were booked more than a week out, some even booked while I drove to the airport and then I changed the return on the UA site when I figured out when I really needed to come back. I'm not sure about the T-48 business from another comment - I suspect I've made my own changes further out than that with no problems. I think the only times I ever had to actually talk to a TA after booking were due to wrong hotel reservations and I think to unwind upgrades (both paid and CPU) when it turned out I needed to change my flight after checking in. Nobody has ever made a peep about changing a TA reservation on the UA site. I've also occasionally (but infrequently) had coworkers call and change my flight when there were multiples of us traveling on the same flights and were finished early and flying back together. Normally everybody books independently based on their schedule and preferred airports. This is all SOP for how I travel, and if UA had to track down me and the TA to make a change, that could be a problem - if I were to send an email requesting a change be made while I'm working in a location with no cell reception, it could be very difficult for them to confirm my change.

The TA was in the wrong for the unilateral cancellation.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
"What would you have them do?

They can't just let the passenger board without a ticket. They won't be on the manifest, and that breaks all sorts of laws."

There have been many postive articles about holding the plane or the pilot going back to the gate for a family in such a situation. Instead of making a crass and insensitive comment, the ga could have reached out to the pilot to see if they could stay at the gate for a few more minutes to see if the ta could be reached and resolve.
Then we would have another thread on here complaining about UA needlessly delaying flights so people miss their connections in Denver and have to spend the night...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...ng-mom-n841601

A more "balanced" article on the topic. Definitely does not start out with an anti UA slant & includes more details.

Unfortunately it sounds like the passenger was never going to make it to see her mother even if she flew on the flight. Her mother passed away a few hours into her drive
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:32 pm

She had boarded, so the ticket must have been valid when it was scanned. At what point did it get cancelled and how did United get alerted?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: *bucks Gold
I have very little faith in a company that still lists contact phone numbers for Continental, Northwest, Ted, Pan Am, TAM, etc.

https://www.travelerhelpdesk.com/traveler-tools.html

Traveler HelpDesk's operations seem to be as shoddy as their website. The Pan Am number, btw, still works.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The United CSR did nothing wrong. From United's standpoint, they had no problems changing the reservation for the passenger and did so, even to the point that she boarded without problems.
The GA did nothing wrong either. Once the OTA cancelled the ticket, they couldn't leave her onboard -- and since the ticket was cancelled, driving to Denver to pick up a flight wasn't an option either unless the landlord booked a new ticket for direct travel from DEN. Reading between the lines in the article, I'm guessing the landlord probably would have done exactly that if she'd known what the problem was.
I blame the OTA for canceling the ticket in the first place and the reporter for writing a misleading article -- or maybe the editors messed it up, thinking it would have greater impact by implying blame on United rather than the OTA.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUM_elite
I have very little faith in a company that still lists contact phone numbers for Continental, Northwest, Ted, Pan Am, TAM, etc.
Sure, but they were - according to the article - cheaper than other places to buy the ticket. Which in itself is interesting...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by docbert
Sure, but they were - according to the article - cheaper than other places to buy the ticket. Which in itself is interesting...
That a landlord would have gone to the absolute lowest bidder ?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've read that the airline can't allow a passenger whose ticket has been canceled to fly. I understand that. What I don't understand is why they allowed her to board in the first place if the ticket had been canceled. You might reply, "Well, they canceled the ticket after she had boarded." And my next question is, "At what point in the process is a ticket considered 'used' and therefore no longer subject to cancelation? Is it...
a) when the ticket is scanned at the gate (apparently not);
b) when the passenger enters the aircraft;
c) when the boarding door is closed;
d) at pushback;
e) during the taxi out;
f) at takeoff and climbout;
g) halfway to the destination;
h) during final descent and landing;
i) during the taxi in;
j) when the breaks are set at the destination gate;
k) when the door is opened at the destinateion; or
l) when the passenger leaves the plane at the destination?"

I'd also be interested in what actions the airline would take to evict a passenger if a ticket is somehow canceled between points c) and k).
ellenyc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by kale73
I've read that the airline can't allow a passenger whose ticket has been canceled to fly. I understand that. What I don't understand is why they allowed her to board in the first place if the ticket had been canceled. You might reply, "Well, they canceled the ticket after she had boarded." And my next question is, "At what point in the process is a ticket considered 'used' and therefore no longer subject to cancelation? Is it...
a) when the ticket is scanned at the gate (apparently not);
b) when the passenger enters the aircraft;
c) when the boarding door is closed;
d) at pushback;
e) during the taxi out;
f) at takeoff and climbout;
g) halfway to the destination;
h) during final descent and landing;
i) during the taxi in;
j) when the breaks are set at the destination gate;
k) when the door is opened at the destinateion; or
l) when the passenger leaves the plane at the destination?"

I'd also be interested in what actions the airline would take to evict a passenger if a ticket is somehow canceled between points c) and k).
To my understanding a ticket is "valid" and can thus be "modified" until the time the last leg of the ticket has been fully flown (i.e. there's absolutely no residual value on the ticket). That being said, it is possible to cancel or modify a ticket even if the first leg has been a *no show* - I have had to do this in the past when I had to miss the first leg of a flight and change to the next day (obviously the change fee applied, but it was better than losing the ticket altogether). It is understandable that the ticket was able to be cancelled - any valid ticket can be cancelled, and the ticket could have been cancelled mid-air if the travel agent desired (since this was the first flight of a two leg journey).

Whether this policy/procedure is correct or not is not for this thread. It's also possible my understanding could be incorrect.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
From the NBC article linked above -

"Hanson's condition worsened, however — she was not expected to live through the night. The landlord, Ines Prelas, called United and paid $75 more so that Amrich could fly standby on an earlier flight, and the two rushed to the airport in Colorado Springs. She would fly through Denver to Minneapolis."

That sounds very much like the landlord made a SDC. In which case the coupon was under UA control and the third party was totally in the wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100

That is what I used to think. And if nothing changes, the flight will go smoothly. But in the real world, changes happen. The simple thing is that if anything goes wrong - IRROPs, need to make a change the airline would make, e.g. - that OTA ticket can get immediately screwed up and you have the airline and OTA pointing fingers at each other while not fixing it. You can lose all those thousands of dollars of savings in an instant. In my case, only a long, drawn out complaint to the DOT got it rectified. I learned my lesson. I check prices with OTAs, but buy from the airline. These days I find little difference anyway.
Thanks Artpen,care to elaborate? Airline gets paid by me through an OTA after that the airline is responsible to carry me around not the OTA or am I missing something?
A case in point was a SYD-LAX United flight that was cancelled the afternoon before ( I knew as the inbound flight to SYD did not leave LAX) I contacted United directly, I did not contact the Travel agent and within half an hour they had me booked onto the QF flight which left 15 minutes prior to the cancelled United flight.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zymm
My main question here...how was she allowed to modify her ticket direct with United? They generally won't touch a TA issued ticket.
Because it was a $75 same-day change, not a full-blown change requiring a full change fee and re-issuance.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspect because all of this was the same day -- the booking, the change ... and the traveler's name was different from the credit card used --- fraud flags when off for the travel agency.
Is that an excuse for the travel agency to lie to the media about where the fraud liability falls and claim that they are "just protecting the landlord"? As most people on this board know, most forms of payment, be they credit cards or debt cards have $0-$50 max of fraud liability, so the consumer is virtually noting out of pocket in the case of fraudulent credit/debit card activity. You know is liable? The travel agent is under United's not-so-recent policy. The travel agent brazenly claimed that "the intention had been to protect [the landlord] against possible fraud". What fraud liability? It seems that the fraud liability was squarely on the TA had something gone awry and the TA is now intentionally spinning (downright lying) about its motives to the media. You can't protect someone from fraud who already had near-zero liability for fraud. :td to TA.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As for UA touching a TA ticket, UA will on the day of travel which this was (and will do for a fee prior to day of travel).
Yes; that's called a same-day change, and the other they are just setup to do for a fee of like $50 or something.

Originally Posted by seawolf
United does have a fault here. They shouldn't be touching the agency reservation to begin with unless IRROPS.
Wrong, period. This was a $75 SDC processed by United. Standard for any ticket issued by United or by the travel agency on the moon.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The United CSR misled the landlord by telling her that it would not be a problem for UA to change the ticket itself.
No mistake; it was a $75 SDC. Done all the time on any ticket directly with UA.

Then the OTA went ahead and canceled it.
And there was no justification for doing so other than greed.

Then the GA couldn't be bothered to extend some effort and compassion to help the passenger.
Least culpable party; best villain.

Lots of blame to go around here. But it apparently starts with UA changing a ticket it apparently was not supposed to change without the OTA getting involved.
Again, myth, not fact. $75 SDC.

And that reflects on poor training or supervision of its CSRs and/or a poor system for monitoring tickets purchased through third parties.
Nothing of the sort. Falls right back on the TA for playing detective Clouseau.

Originally Posted by cfischer
huh, where is it stated that UA cannot and should not change the ticket? This happens every day without any issues whatsoever.
Duh, especially on a $75 SDC.

Originally Posted by sbm12
The passenger no longer had a ticket. Why would a GA allow a non-ticketed passenger to fly?
No argument there.

Except that there shouldn't be a problem for UA to make a change on a ticket, especially on day of travel. That's a completely normal transaction.
Especially a $75 SDC.

Again, no. There is no reason the TA has to be involved. And a TA voiding a ticket because it was changed directly with the airline is shady as hell.
The were Protecting the Landlord of course.

Originally Posted by Often1
Rubbish. Completely wrong.

UA, as well as pretty much all IATA carriers, will take over a ticket on the day of travel. Many will take it over for a fee prior to the day of travel, but that is not relevant to this incident. What UA did here was completely routine and in no way caused anything "bad" to happen to the ticket. That is a good thing for almost all passengers. When changes need to be made on the day of travel, there is no guarantee that the TA can be reached, that the TA can make a change, reissue a ticket and push it back to the carrier. This is all something pretty much any airport agent can do in a minute or two with the passenger standing there or by phone.

Plain and simple the TA should not have cancelled the ticket. The fact that it was changed is meaningless. Tickets are changed constantly so, unless there is some part of this story which has not been reported, this was plain old stupidity or spite on the part of the TA.

Without a ticket, you do not fly. It's that simple. Always has been and always will be.

The only thing that makes this situation sensational news is that the passenger's mother was dying.

The people here who think that IATA carriers ought to change what has worked for 60+ years and will continue to work just fine whether they like it or not, are dreaming and want a separate set of rules because they actually have fallen for the cr**py journalism in the reported story.
At little more technical than necessary, but yes, that. In the context of a $75 SDC where and MCO is issued and the original ETKT isn't really changed, just the reservation and and EDD or MCO or whatever tacked on, the TA is on really shaky ground. TA thought it was CC fraud and didn't want to get dinged; probably lied about trying to reach the landlord too.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Just curious how did landlord found this Travelers' Helpdesk...? Horrible reviews with no google ad and literally impossible to find other than google its name. Facebook page is like a kid's starter littered with negative reviews and web site resembles Y2K style. Google its domain whois and some related information is interesting.

Why did lady choose to drive 1,000 miles with slim to none chance of making it? Several later direct flights DEN-MSP.

Needless to say, UA becomes an easy target of press...

Hindsight is 20/20...

It was very sad she missed her mom in that flight or not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.