Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787-10 has joined the UA fleet, where will it fly and why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA inaugural flight 7 Jan 2019, LAX-EWR, UA2418

FT'ers On This Flight
BThumme 20A
CaptKornDog 22D

Will be used for international service after shakedown period UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying
United Announces 787-10 Routes

Related thread Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10
Print Wikipost

787-10 has joined the UA fleet, where will it fly and why

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't know what the aircraft's actual range is at this point. UA determined the 789 was SIN capable only after they'd had extensive experience with the aircraft. As I understand it, they were pleasantly surprised by its capabilities. Right now, they're doing exactly the same thing with the 781 that they did with the 789 - i.e., figuring out it's capabilities.

Risk? There's no risk. UA is not going to assign the aircraft to a route it cannot safely fly. That really shouldn't even need to be stated here.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA has already flown IAD<->PEK with the 78J - that route has a distance just shy of 7,000 miles. ORD-HKG would add another 800 miles, but 8,000 pushes beyond the max. range of the 78J - while it may be possible, not sure if UA would want to take such risk.
I could be wrong, but methinks Repooc17 is not referring to safety risk - of course UA is not going to fly when it is not safe @:-)

Risk would be to operations, such as having to offload pax or cargo to make the numbers for flight work.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If 787-10 proves capable for flying longer ranger routes that currently served on the 772ER, how does it impact the A350 order?
If the rumors of a RR UltraFan geared large-diameter turbofan engine being ready for the A350 (A350neo) after 2025, IMO it makes no sense for UA to take delivery of the current-gen engine while growing, continuing to accept 787s, and the 77E have plenty of life in them. If anything, we'll see yet another deferral of the 350s, at which point UA can see if RR is able to deliver the engine as promised. Then, it's put-up-or-shut-up time.

https://theaircurrent.com/engine-dev...n-for-a350neo/
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by EWR764
If the rumors of a RR UltraFan geared large-diameter turbofan engine being ready for the A350 (A350neo) after 2025, IMO it makes no sense for UA to take delivery of the current-gen engine while growing, continuing to accept 787s, and the 77E have plenty of life in them. If anything, we'll see yet another deferral of the 350s, at which point UA can see if RR is able to deliver the engine as promised. Then, it's put-up-or-shut-up time.

https://theaircurrent.com/engine-dev...n-for-a350neo/
but there are also rumors of GEnx PIP's which would counter paying for the 350 and a new, expensive engine (which IIRC the RR engine price is really why UA balked at the 350 deal).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by prestonh
but there are also rumors of GEnx PIP's which would counter paying for the 350 and a new, expensive engine (which IIRC the RR engine price is really why UA balked at the 350 deal).
True, but a PIP'ed GEnx would still lag considerably the SFC of a geared TF. More likely, IMO, would be a 787neo, and a 787-10 that could do East Coast-Asia reliably with full pax and some cargo could be a 'killer app' for UA.

With that said, the A350 is a more capable platform at the 275-300 seat level and there's no question UA has a need for such an airplane, occupying the space between the 787-9 at ~250 seats and shorter-legged 787-10 (~315) and 77W (~350).

The limiting factor for the 787-10, as I understand it, is landing gear, as it is just a simple stretch over the -9 with no way to increase gross weights. If it went to a six-wheel bogie like the 777, it could probably scale up MGTOW and make for a better 77E replacement. But, that would be a significant structural rework, reducing commonality with the rest of the 787s. It would also occupy the lower end of potential 777-8 sales (which is already questionable).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I could be wrong, but methinks Repooc17 is not referring to safety risk - of course UA is not going to fly when it is not safe @:-)

Risk would be to operations, such as having to offload pax or cargo to make the numbers for flight work.
That was not my read of the post, and in any event it doesn't matter. UA's not going to assign an aircraft to a route if it doesn't believe the aircraft is suitable from a safety or operations perspective.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
True, but a PIP'ed GEnx would still lag considerably the SFC of a geared TF. More likely, IMO, would be a 787neo, and a 787-10 that could do East Coast-Asia reliably with full pax and some cargo could be a 'killer app' for UA.

With that said, the A350 is a more capable platform at the 275-300 seat level and there's no question UA has a need for such an airplane, occupying the space between the 787-9 at ~250 seats and shorter-legged 787-10 (~315) and 77W (~350).

The limiting factor for the 787-10, as I understand it, is landing gear, as it is just a simple stretch over the -9 with no way to increase gross weights. If it went to a six-wheel bogie like the 777, it could probably scale up MGTOW and make for a better 77E replacement. But, that would be a significant structural rework, reducing commonality with the rest of the 787s. It would also occupy the lower end of potential 777-8 sales (which is already questionable).
There's a lot of bugs to work out in the scaled up GTF's, look at pratt's mess on the 32neo's IMO it has to mature a bit to that scale. Maybe it will by 2025?

I think UA has shown the williness/ability to adjust frequency rather than gauge on several trunk routes with its flexible 787/777 fleet of late. It's probably a sign of things to come.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That was not my read of the post, and in any event it doesn't matter. UA's not going to assign an aircraft to a route if it doesn't believe the aircraft is suitable from a safety or operations perspective.
I'd be surprised if they haven't loaded up some flights to a good portion of max TOW for TATL runs to get some good reads on SFC burns in the air as part of their break-ins.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd be surprised if they haven't loaded up some flights to a good portion of max TOW for TATL runs to get some good reads on SFC burns in the air as part of their break-ins.
Yes, as I stated earlier, I'm sure they are testing the aircraft's capabilities in real world situations so they can determine future route assignments.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

There's a lot of bugs to work out in the scaled up GTF's, look at pratt's mess on the 32neo's IMO it has to mature a bit to that scale. Maybe it will by 2025?
Bingo... I don't think anyone is brimming with confidence that RR can deliver on such an ambitious project, but time will tell.

I think it's good to see that a variable-pitch turbine has been abandoned for now. While the tech is pretty fascinating in terms of capability and weight savings, it would fall into the "let's do one thing at a time" category, for me.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:26 am

Except for the EWR-SFO/LAX daily runs, have they settled on any dedicated routes yet? It looks like they're get inducted at IAD, but I don't see them on many TATL routes out of IAD. Do they need to get a certain number in the fleet before they can start a regular rotation?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by QS Dreamer
Except for the EWR-SFO/LAX daily runs, have they settled on any dedicated routes yet? It looks like they're get inducted at IAD, but I don't see them on many TATL routes out of IAD. Do they need to get a certain number in the fleet before they can start a regular rotation?
It will be assigned to TATLs from EWR, not IAD. United Announces 787-10 Routes
QS Dreamer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:42 pm

Anyone knows what’s going on with UA577 SFO-EWR on May 2? I booked this flight for the 787-10 and got premium plus seat 20B. Now it appears to be swapped to a 777-200, but the seat map looks strange. Never seen a 2-2-2 config like this on a 777 before.

BTW, 20B got mapped to 17B in 3-3-3 E+. Not thrilled.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by az22
Anyone knows what’s going on with UA577 SFO-EWR on May 2? I booked this flight for the 787-10 and got premium plus seat 20B. Now it appears to be swapped to a 777-200, but the seat map looks strange. Never seen a 2-2-2 config like this on a 777 before.

BTW, 20B got mapped to 17B in 3-3-3 E+. Not thrilled. Yeah

Former CO 777 configuration 50J/217Y
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Former CO 777 configuration 50J/217Y
Very unusual to see one at SFO.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
On UA 32 next Saturday with the SO.

Was a 788, but checked seat map today to see if anything changed (want to keep a pair of our seats together) and noticed they switched to the -10.

Had to scramble and find the the last pair of seats in last row of 11

LAX - NRT UA 32

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.