Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhanced Flight Status msg to Inform Passengers on Delays (now mostly systemwide?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced Flight Status msg to Inform Passengers on Delays (now mostly systemwide?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’ll be a killjoy to the voices that often like to pile on with how UA rarely works. I have found the UA system to be consistently good when it comes to informing me of flight disruptions.

WX across the Midwest was horrible today. I noticed that KLM did 3 go arounds at MSP. On the 4th, they declared a fuel emergency.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
I’ll be a killjoy to the voices that often like to pile on with how UA rarely works. I have found the UA system to be consistently good when it comes to informing me of flight disruptions.

WX across the Midwest was horrible today. I noticed that KLM did 3 go arounds at MSP. On the 4th, they declared a fuel emergency.
I too have found that it lets me know what going on, but I've never seen this level of detail on an A/C Swap before.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by drowelf
why did the inbound end up in Detriot?
Typo or Freudian slip?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I too just noticed a much more specific flight status than I’ve ever seen before. Maybe there is a movement to issue more substantive statuses.
Tonight’s final ORD-MSP flight (UA774) that is being delayed:

“We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Your plane is arriving late from Minneapolis because of a mechanical issue with the engine that resulted in a new plane assignment for your flight. Please be sure to check your flight status on the United app or at united.com/flightstatus. “
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Now the next question of course, if why did the inbound end up in Detriot? Weather most likely.
Nasty line of storms with up to 60 mph/100kph wind gusts.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Now the next question of course, if why did the inbound end up in Detriot? Weather most likely.
Travel Waiver: Chicago Severe Weather (July 01, 2018)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Some inbounds also ended up in GRR too. Odd to see 757s parked at the United gates there this morning rather than wee United Express ones
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I got a note before I left for ORD and MLI about 2 weeks ago. The system proactively protected me on a connection to MLI the following day (left DC late). However, when I returned thru ORD there was weather and no notice. Also, the agents said they could not longer protect PAX on later flights. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Last week, I was to fly TBS-MUC-ORD-SFO in J. Two hours before my 2 am departure from TBS, I got a text saying they anticipated bad thunderstorms in ORD and that I could call and change routing to avoid ORD. I called and was given the nonstop MUC-SFO, which I ironically, I had tried to do a SDC earlier that night and was told I could only do it if I paid $5500! Also interestingly, had I stuck to my original itinerary, both the MUC-ORD and the ORD-SFO flights took off on time (but the later ORD-SFO flights were delayed for hours).

I was happy to see United being prophylactic about mis-connects, especially since a weather delay would not have been its "fault".
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Also, the agents said they could not longer protect PAX on later flights. Has anyone else experienced this?
There’s a board thread on this. It appears to be very hit or miss. The agents certainly can do it, but I think they have been instructed not to do it. Status may help get around that limitation.

Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Last week, I was to fly TBS-MUC-ORD-SFO in J. Two hours before my 2 am departure from TBS, I got a text saying they anticipated bad thunderstorms in ORD and that I could call and change routing to avoid ORD. I called and was given the nonstop MUC-SFO, which I ironically, I had tried to do a SDC earlier that night and was told I could only do it if I paid $5500!
Unless UA has added an extremely surprising new TBS-MUC tag flight , you wouldn’t been eligible to SDC until after the TBS-MUC coupon was lifted, and you would have been changing — at full price — into married TBS-MUC-SFO inventory. If you find yourself in that situation again, give it a shot after you board the flight in TBS or after you arrive in MUC.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Flight Status messages get stranger and stranger

For a while now, flight status messages for delayed flights seem to be written for people who rarely fly. "We want you to know your flight is late....Your captain was late getting back from Starbucks...Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience." (not an actual status message)

What do you make of this one? The flight making up my flight today is coming from SDQ. The aircraft is currently on its way from EWR to SDQ, and before it departed EWR, this message popped up on the SDQ-EWR leg, "Status: We want you to know your flight is late while we address damage to your plane and ensure it is safe to fly. We value your time and we're sorry for the inconvenience. (Estimated Departure 53 Minutes Late)"

If taken literally, it would appear the "damage" was discovered before the plane left EWR. What kind of damage would have been observed in EWR and decided that it could be adequately "addressed" in SDQ?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:57 am

I concur the tone is strangely colloquial almost to the detriment of adding value. Including where it says ‘again, we’re sorry...’ when not previously mentioned.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I noticed that too. Rather bothersome, even if the flight was 4 minutes late there was a 4/5 sentence explanation. Overkill...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate the added detail, but it does rather depend upon the ops person or whoever it is writing clearly and succinctly, including finding the right level of detail.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:24 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My initial thought would be blown tire during takeoff, but I guess they would've tried to address that near EWR or a nearby airport. Are there such things as non-emergency engine issues that allow the flight to continue, but require maintenance upon landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.