FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1889615-tap-tp-award-booking-experiences-using-united-miles.html)

rileydogmi Jan 21, 2018 7:34 am

TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles

Booking flights within Europe for a summer family holiday. If I go to TAP Portugal and do the search for 5 one way tickets (LIS to Nice), I get 324.55 Euro for standard economy (includes one checked luggage, one checked bag). I do the search on UA.com and get the same flight but UA wants $1,829. I also tried just searching for one ticket - same results (UA 5x higher than TAP). Before I call UA I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if there are suggestions on what to do -- would like them to be issued from UA to get points/status (I am a 1k member) but if I do book on TAP can I get UA credit? Adding screen shots from the two sites. Thanks,

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d062b5348.pnghttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...313fc860ca.png

PsiFighter37 Jan 21, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rileydogmi (Post 29320084)
Booking flights within Europe for a summer family holiday. If I go to TAP Portugal and do the search for 5 one way tickets (LIS to Nice), I get 324.55 Euro for standard economy (includes one checked luggage, one checked bag). I do the search on UA.com and get the same flight but UA wants $1,829. I also tried just searching for one ticket - same results (UA 5x higher than TAP). Before I call UA I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if there are suggestions on what to do -- would like them to be issued from UA to get points/status (I am a 1k member) but if I do book on TAP can I get UA credit? Adding screen shots from the two sites. Thanks,

If you book on TAP, you will get RDM, PQM and PQS (depending on the fare class), but no PQD. I have noticed that a lot of partner flights will price quite high if you book as an individual segment on UA nowadays.

sannmann Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am

TAP and many other United partners have plating restrictions that limit the cheapest fares to native tickets. As a result, United’s website may only return high fares on TAP.

emcampbe Jan 21, 2018 8:15 am

Almost certainly a plating restriction. This is TAPs decision, and 100% has nothing to do with United. They can only sell the fares that tAP allows them too. What fare class is UA booking to? I suspect fulll Y.

If the lower fare fare is more important to you (and it would be to me), then you’ll have to book through TAP and forget about PQD.

Kacee Jan 21, 2018 8:59 am

Because the discount T fare TP is selling for 64.91 euro is subject to the following ticketing restriction:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF TP

The cheapest ticket not subject to this restriction is the M fare (M14CLC0A) that UA offers for $365.80 US.

jsloan Jan 21, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 29320187)
Almost certainly a plating restriction. This is TAPs decision, and 100% has nothing to do with United.

Except that UA continues to fall further and further behind the curve by trying to push PQDs without allowing them to be earned on partner-ticketed flights. AA and DL both allow PQDs on all flights, and the more that UA's partners issue plating restrictions, the less competitive UA becomes for flyers who travel across a range of alliance airlines. This shouldn't have anything to do with UA -- and, it's not caused by UA, which I think is your point -- but UA's actions mean it actually does have quite a bit to do with UA. :(

Kacee Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29320394)
Except that UA continues to fall further and further behind the curve by trying to push PQDs without allowing them to be earned on partner-ticketed flights. AA and DL both allow PQDs on all flights, and the more that UA's partners issue plating restrictions, the less competitive UA becomes for flyers who travel across a range of alliance airlines.

I can't see much of a reason for UA not offering PQD on JV flights (either as a straight up PQD number or a percentage of miles flown).

On non-JV flights, I could see where UA may have concluded that they will lose too much revenue from PQD trapped UA elites who will suddenly be free to book elsewhere.

PsiFighter37 Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29320557)
I can't see much of a reason for UA not offering PQD on JV flights (either as a straight up PQD number or a percentage of miles flown).

On non-JV flights, I could see where UA may have concluded that they will lose too much revenue from PQD trapped UA elites who will suddenly be free to book elsewhere.

The plating restrictions are annoying. LH flights are all restricted to high-fare bucket classes if you are booking as standalone flight on UA's website. Sometimes, flights don't even show up (e.g. I could not book LUG-ZRH standalone, but LUG-EWR (with stopover in ZRH) shows up. AC seems to actually have JV pricing that makes sense (e.g. I booked YUL-YQB on 016 stock at $73). Not sure about NH. I think it's a mix of UA's (in)famous technology and plating restrictions that make it a PITA to book partner flights.

jsloan Jan 21, 2018 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29320557)

Fine, except that since AA and DL don't have these restrictions, they're risking losing 100% of the revenue as passengers change alliances instead. That doesn't really seem like a good trade to me...

aacharya Jan 21, 2018 11:16 am

At these prices, 8K UA award tickets intra-EU seem to make the most sense, even if it's only some of the family members.
TAP also has very low earnings for their low fares, so losing out on PQMs for the other family members is probably inconsequential.

rileydogmi Jan 21, 2018 11:40 am

Great information - thanks for all the responses. If I book with TAP direct will I get any Star alliance benefits being a 1k with UA? Priority boarding, free bag, etc? Thanks,

findark Jan 21, 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rileydogmi (Post 29320835)
Great information - thanks for all the responses. If I book with TAP direct will I get any Star alliance benefits being a 1k with UA? Priority boarding, free bag, etc? Thanks,

Yes, ticket stock has no effect on this. Just make sure your UA FFP number is on the PNR.

PsiFighter37 Jan 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by rileydogmi (Post 29320835)

You will get whatever being *G entitles you to. Whether you are Gold, Platinum, or 1K on UA will have no bearing on the benefits TAP gives you on their ticket stock.

emcampbe Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 29320634)
The plating restrictions are annoying. LH flights are all restricted to high-fare bucket classes if you are booking as standalone flight on UA's website. Sometimes, flights don't even show up (e.g. I could not book LUG-ZRH standalone, but LUG-EWR (with stopover in ZRH) shows up. AC seems to actually have JV pricing that makes sense (e.g. I booked YUL-YQB on 016 stock at $73). Not sure about NH. I think it's a mix of UA's (in)famous technology and plating restrictions that make it a PITA to book partner flights.

i pretty much wouldn’t expect UAs search engine to give good options on partner airlines when it can’t even do it with its own flights. I more often than not see legal, simple all-UA connections on domestic flights not shown (I.e., <4 hours). Sometimes, it only shows, say, a connection through ORD that’s 40 minutes but not the same initial flight with the 2 hour connection (which, depending on day and who I’m traveling with is a much better option). Heck, sometimes it misses complete optimal connections, even consistently on the same route, again, all UA. I would never count on it to get partner flights right. I just look on Google flights now, and if I have extra time, play around with multi-city.

rileydogmi Jan 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Great - thanks again for all the help! Booking direct with TAP.