Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mrt88
I got confirmation from 1kvoice that they were having some "technical" problems (that they blamed on TP), and that they pulled all TP award availability from the UA system. Quite frustrating... I actually do think this could be UA not wanting as many redemptions happening on TP as they'd have to pay TP for it, vs. charging ridiculous standard award prices on their own metal.
I suspect what UA doesn't want is to have to deal with a bunch of disappointed customers with phantom tickets.

It's a cheaper award through AP or LM.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect what UA doesn't want is to have to deal with a bunch of disappointed customers with phantom tickets.

It's a cheaper award through AP or LM.

It's only cheaper if you HAVE enough miles to book it on those airlines! ;-)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by o2bmmw

It's only cheaper if you HAVE enough miles to book it on those airlines! ;-)
Acknowledged that's small consolation if you've got a bunch of UA miles to burn.

It was also just announced that TP will be flying their 339 neo on SFO-LIS. Looks pretty nice.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: United, Starwood
Unhappy United Airlines and TAP Air Integration Issues

Howdy Fellow Frequent Flyers:

I wanted to share with you some complications that I have had in terms of TAP Air Portugal flights on United Airlines Tickets:
  • Cancelled Tickets (After Journey Started): A few weeks ago, I flew internationally from US to Madrid on United and had to connect to TAP Air Portugal. In fact, I had my paper boarding pass printed for the TAP Air connection. After arriving in Madrid and transiting Passport Control, re-entering Security, etc . . . I made my way to the gate for the ongoing TAP Air flight. Upon arriving at the gate, my boarding pass was scanned and I was told that my flight had been cancelled by United. Obviously, this created additional drama and resulted in a missed flight connection. United was able to rebook me on a later flight that day (Iberia Airlines) and could not explain the problem. Of course, this necessitated delays, changing terminals to a non-partner flight, re-checkin and all the fun you may expect after a missed international connection.
  • Missing TAP Airline Segments in United Bookings: On three separate occasions, the TAP Airways leg of my United reservation was deleted / missing from my United.com reservation. In discussing with United, it was their statement that TAP still held the reservation but it somehow disappeared from the United.com reservation (for reasons that were not apparent). Based on what occurred previously (as mentioned above), I was obviously concerned about additional and unnecessary international travel stress.
  • Award Bookings: As has been addressed on other threads . . . United is Acknowledging Problems with Award Tickets on TAP. As a United Representative explained to me, integration problems are the reason TAP (and some other carriers) are not accepting United Mileage Plus based award bookings properly.
Just wanted to share this story with you and recommend you check and double-check your United reservation when intersecting with a partner (especially TAP Airways) even including after you have your boarding pass in hand. Would be interested if anyone has had similar challenges and experiences.

Cheers and Good Travels!

Herb
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Is this maybe a broader problem with Amadeus vs. SHARES? I had problems with a Eurowings award booking the other day. Maybe LH has separate integrations with UA that the other Amadeus instances don't?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
It may well be a larger issue and I know that TAP is aligned to Amadeus based on how one checks in. To the extent this is a larger issue, I just hope that not too many folks are "losing" flight reservations as the matter could have a larger impact on travelers then just award ticket redemptions for Star Alliance flights.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

I see that TAP is one of the many partners whose awards cannot be booked on united.com. (I tried, and nothing is shown; the input box won't even accept the destination airport, FEZ, and other airports served by TAP are shown only due to LH flights.)

Can TAP be booked by calling UA? I would call only if AwardNexus (checking AC web site) shows availability.

If yes, will they waive the phone booking fee?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I see that TAP is one of the many partners whose awards cannot be booked on united.com. ...
Per All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone?? that issue was resolved

Are you see no TP for any route?

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Can TAP be booked by calling UA? ...
Generally if you can not see it, they can not either. The airport issue they may have different visibility
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you see no TP for any route?
Nothing yesterday, but I checked just now and some TP is back. However, united.com still does not recognize FEZ, which only TP serves (of all *A airlines).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:38 am

Any recent experience using Business Saver Awards on TAP?

Am really hoping to find a Business Saver seat on United EWR-TXL for next June, but seems there will be a much better chance of finding one on TAP EWR-LIS-TXL.
I believe this flight is on their new equipment with 1-2-1 Business Class configuration which has gotten good reviews.
But have never flown TAP so would appreciate any input from those who have...thank you!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Recent TAP flight was fine. Be prepared for very long immigration line in LIS.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Pleased to report I had a seamless experience on UA.com booking 4 business award tickets to ZRH with a connection in LIS for next June. The reservation appears on the TAP website and I was able to select seats, which were then updated on the UA reservation. Seems like the problems encountered earlier this year have been resolved.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I am trying to book an award ticket with UA miles through Lisbon with TAP operating both the US-LIS and LIS-EU segments. United is saying I am in fare class X, but I cannot find out if that would slot me into Discount, Basic, Classic, or Plus on TAP. I am mostly concerned about checked baggage being extra in Discount. I am 1K/Star Alliance Gold if that matters at all. Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DA201
I am trying to book an award ticket with UA miles through Lisbon with TAP operating both the US-LIS and LIS-EU segments. United is saying I am in fare class X, but I cannot find out if that would slot me into Discount, Basic, Classic, or Plus on TAP. I am mostly concerned about checked baggage being extra in Discount. I am 1K/Star Alliance Gold if that matters at all. Thanks for any help!
Sorry I don't have an answer as to what fare category X puts you in, but your Star Gold status gets you at least one free bag.
DA201 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
I have used UA miles to fly TAP RT coach to Lisbon several times with one free checked bag, one 21" carryon, and the usual personal item. I don't have any airline status at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.