Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles

TAP (TP) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by DA201
I am trying to book an award ticket with UA miles through Lisbon with TAP operating both the US-LIS and LIS-EU segments. United is saying I am in fare class X, but I cannot find out if that would slot me into Discount, Basic, Classic, or Plus on TAP. I am mostly concerned about checked baggage being extra in Discount. I am 1K/Star Alliance Gold if that matters at all. Thanks for any help!
x class gives you a free check bag without considering your star gold's extra allowance for US-EU itinerary
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
TAP availability for MileagePlus rewards not available over summer

TAP availability for MileagePlus rewards direct LIS to YYZ not available (from what I can see) after mid June.

Do you think it is just too far out and I should take a chance and wait for it to become available (also not available in the fall) or do you think it is completely blacked out for summer?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
ORD-LIS on TAP Portugal using UA miles?

Is it not possible to book ORD-LIS on the nonstop flight with TAP Portgual, using United miles? The nonstop flight doesn't seem bookable on United.com with (Money or miles)...
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Is it not possible to book ORD-LIS on the nonstop flight with TAP Portgual, using United miles? ...
Yes, if award space exists

The nonstop flight doesn't seem bookable on United.com with (Money or miles)...
Not all partner flights are available for purchase on united.com. You may be able to call to book but without UA flights in the itin, the agent may decline. Additionally many airlines only make their cheapest cash fares available if you purchase from them, so even if you purchase from United it would be a high fare.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Is it not possible to book ORD-LIS on the nonstop flight with TAP Portgual, using United miles? The nonstop flight doesn't seem bookable on United.com with (Money or miles)...
certainty bookable. How are you searching? Best is to search non-stop and check 1 month at a time.

SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:31 pm

Booking a Tap Portugal flight with miles fails

Hi.

For the last few days I am trying to book a SFO<->LIS flight for two people in business in September. I found a pretty goog option through Canada with Economy to Canada and Business transatlantic for 286K miles RT for 2 pax:

Unfortunatelly it fails every time. I tried to call the agent but the agent said it does not go through because "there is no availability anymore".
It does not look like this as this ticket is available for last few days and when it proposes to choose seats all seats are pretty empty.
It looks more like a software glitch. Are there any option to secure this ticket? Like calling more agents, asking for some specifics things (e.g. check with TAP) or trying daily?
P.S. Also other options on same / similar route to Portugal / Spain around those dates would be great. Otherwise I will be waiting for LH availability. It seems that it pops up few weeks before.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tivv00
Are there any option to secure this ticket
If you're using the website, try the app. If you're using the app, try the website.
Maybe try booking one ticket at a time (you can cancel for free within 24 hours in case one goes through and the other doesn't).

Unbookable "inventory" does show up from time to time. Just because you see it doesn't necessarily mean it's there. I've had united.com show availability for two seats, but not for one, which indicates a serious error somewhere.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Unfortunately, due to the systems *A carriers use, UA may be seeing stale / phantom inventory during the search. However once UA tries to ticket, TAP responses, no award inventory. With your experience and the agent's there is probably no more than can be done. Other then continue to try in case TAP opens new inventory. While there is a chance using the web vs the smart phone app might give different results, it generally doe no help in this case (or the phone agent would have succeeded.

Search FT for phantom award inventory and you will see many such reports, Search this thread

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 2022 at 9:49 pm Reason: phantom in this thread
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:08 pm

Understood, thank you.
Actually one of the reason I asked is because this thread indicates there were some glitches that were resolved few year ago, so I was hoping anyone knows if anything is going on right now.
But probably it's just a phantom seat that is staying in the system. ExperFlyer also shows this inventory if asked for TAP.
I don't want to get this as separate tickets because it would mean backwards trip is not "originated in US" and won't have flexible change policy in case I find something better. After all, SFO->YUL is also 6 hours and I'd prefer to find something all-business later, so this ticket is more a backup plan.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tivv00 (Post # 66)
For the last few days I am trying to book a SFO<->LIS flight for two people in business in September. I found a pretty goog option through Canada with Economy to Canada and Business transatlantic for 286K miles RT for 2 pax.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post # 67)
Maybe try booking one ticket at a time (you can cancel for free within 24 hours in case one goes through and the other doesn't).
Originally Posted by tivv00 (Post # 69)
I don't want to get this as separate tickets because it would mean backwards trip is not "originated in US" and won't have flexible change policy in case I find something better.
The suggestion for two tickets referred to booking one person at a time, not one direction at a time.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The suggestion for two tickets referred to booking one person at a time, not one direction at a time.
Got you. Good suggestion, but still did not work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:44 am

I have a UA award ticket with two segments on TP. The TP PNR provided by the UA website returns a "booking not found" message from TP. The reservation is ticketed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Now I wonder if this is related to their website issues. My reservation shows up fine on the UA and LH web sites.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2024 at 4:54 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Has anyone had any luck recently booking TAP award flights with MileagePlus miles? The app and Web site error out during purchase and agents cannot confirm the space. This is been the case for a couple of weeks now it seems. Similarly available awards book without issue using AeroPlan points. Muito obrigado.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I have a UA award ticket with two segments on TP. The TP PNR provided by the UA website returns a "booking not found" message from TP. The reservation is ticketed. Has anyone else had this happen?
Had this happen with an awrd ticket bought for our godson with a leg on LOT. Called the GS line and it turns out that there have been issues even after a reservation is ticketed with united successfully conveying the ticket number to other carrier. She called LOT for me and manually gave then the ticket number and all was well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.