Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United showing fares roundtrip on united.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United showing fares roundtrip on united.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okrogius
That would be a roundtrip G fare in a market where there are no G one-way fares. Happens presently in some domestic markets. (Although agreed that the website change isn't likely to impact fares in the short term.)
No. A RT G fare in a market without any one-way G fares will still be written with combinability rules to allow it to be used on a half-round-trip basis in conjunction with any other UA fare -- the total price would be half the roundtrip G fare plus the cost of the second leg, no matter what fare class the second leg was in. It doesn't have to be written this way, but I've never seen an example where it wasn't. In other words, if you can get a G fare on some flight as part of a round-trip, you'll be able to get it on that flight no matter which return flight you select.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. A RT G fare in a market without any one-way G fares will still be written with combinability rules to allow it to be used on a half-round-trip basis in conjunction with any other UA fare -- the total price would be half the roundtrip G fare plus the cost of the second leg, no matter what fare class the second leg was in.
Not exactly that scenario, but there are JV fares, particularly to TYO, that do not combine on a half RT basis except with much higher fares. I've bumped into this many times trying to create, for example, an SFO-HKG//NRT-SFO OJ. If purchasing a a W on the outbound SFO-HKG, you can often only combine that with a Q or an H (or higher) on the return. Here's the restriction that prevents you, for example, combining it with a W (WLXRNA1) NRT-SFO:

OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/
CIRCLE TRIPS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER UA/NH
IN RULE JE26 IN ANY TARIFF
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not exactly that scenario, but there are JV fares, particularly to TYO, that do not combine on a half RT basis except with much higher fares. I've bumped into this many times trying to create, for example, an SFO-HKG//NRT-SFO OJ. If purchasing a a W on the outbound SFO-HKG, you can often only combine that with a Q or an H (or higher) on the return. Here's the restriction that prevents you, for example, combining it with a W (WLXRNA1) NRT-SFO:

OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/
CIRCLE TRIPS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER UA/NH
IN RULE JE26 IN ANY TARIFF
Thanks, that's a great example. So, thinking about how this would be presented in the old vs. the new UI. Old UI, it would show the h/r/t price of this fare on the first screen and then it would only display combinable fares on the second screen. New UI, it's going to add the prices together and show "from XXX." No functional difference.

My original comment was a response to the suggestions that there are some low fares that are only available with inconvenient timing, and that the new UI was somehow going to force either the bad times or higher prices onto them. Those comments are just out of line with reality.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Thanks, that's a great example. So, thinking about how this would be presented in the old vs. the new UI. Old UI, it would show the h/r/t price of this fare on the first screen and then it would only display combinable fares on the second screen.
It was terrible under the old UI . . . you'd see a super low fare (around $500) for the first segment, then when you clicked through, the RT price would jump to like $1500, with a very limited number of flight options. So this is a great example of a situation where the new UI will provide a more accurate picture right from the start.
mgmsteven likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Didn't see the note and almost had a heart attack this morning booking some trips to Europe.

I like it.
We have different thresholds - when I first saw the $668 fare for the first leg of SFO/PDX/IAH, I figured, ah .bomb strikes again, but decided to read the webpage more closely.

911 call avoided.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Eh, this is not really to my taste, but it seems lots of other people are happy about it. I frequently book mixed itineraries, and this seems much more confusing for that use case. You could get a RT number before if you used the flexible dates tool, so they've probably just applied the code from that to the regular search now. Since they have both built out, it would be nice if they provided an option.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by zymm
Eh, this is not really to my taste, but it seems lots of other people are happy about it. I frequently book mixed itineraries, and this seems much more confusing for that use case. You could get a RT number before if you used the flexible dates tool, so they've probably just applied the code from that to the regular search now. Since they have both built out, it would be nice if they provided an option.
Having the option would be nice, but imagine the additional uncertainty this could cause if a less-experienced traveler were to call in, and the agent has to figure out that they are looking at - not a job I'd want.

What I do think is valuable is that when selecting a leg (applies more to multi-city and OJ I think), the new running total you see when selecting said segment it right there where you click on it, even though you haven't gotten to the final segment.

I was able to book a Y/Y/F multi-city today and found the way the fares were presented to be useful (even though temporarily surprised earlier by the $668 SFO/PDX quote).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I don't find it particularly useful, particularly if looking to buy different legs in different classes (e.g., if R is available on some but not others) but suppose it can be lived with and managed around
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
... back to the future. As long as Alex doesn’t reappear, I’ll be fine. Never liked her.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I wish I had a choice on United.com or the app that allowed me to price either by segment or by round trip.

I’m now searching for a website or subscription service that gives me more freedom (and speed) to search for fares as I wish and even to book a trip.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I always just use a combination of ITA Matrix and ExpertFlyer fare tables if I am doing anything even remotely complicated. It's easy to force a specific itinerary on .bomb once you know what it is.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM Marriott Gold
I don't like the return to RT pricing, as I also like to book mixed itineraries, and it is more difficult for me to wade thru all the RT fares on both outbound and return.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't like the RT pricing either, but I see some of you do and I can imagine that many folks who don't fly frequently find it preferable. My hope is that UA will add an option so that we can select whether we want to see RT or OW fares. I've written to 1kvoice to share that recommendation. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Is it just me or before this change could you the Details/Seat Map of your outbound flight on the page when choosing a return flight?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by ChiTownMuggle
I don't like the RT pricing either, but I see some of you do and I can imagine that many folks who don't fly frequently find it preferable. My hope is that UA will add an option so that we can select whether we want to see RT or OW fares. I've written to 1kvoice to share that recommendation. Fingers crossed!
Yep. I think for most people this is change that makes it easier.

But if you are trying to understand more granular details of a trip and pricing options this is worse. Especially if I am looking at one side of my trip being fixed, so want to know that segment cost, and playing around with the rest. You can still get at the numbers via math or the details page once you have an trip selected and look at PQD per segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.