Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denver Region Winter Weather travel waiver 21-22 Jan 2018

Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to RDU on Sunday, booked on the 5:45 non-stop arriving at 11:04. That's the latest I want to get in and be ready for Monday.

United is offering free changes due to incoming weather on Sat night/Sunday. Any local guys familiar with the forecast to give some advice? Am I better off changing to an earlier departure with connection that who knows if I'd make? Or stick with the later non-stop and hope that things get going by that time of day?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I fly to RNO at 11:30 on Sunday and weather concern was nowhere on my radar for a storm that is predicting up to 6 inches.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:38 pm

Here's a link to the NWS forecast for the airport: National Weather Service

You should always check the forecast for the airport and not the city of Denver. The two are far enough apart that the weather can be significantly different between the two.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Flying out of SLC Sunday and got the email this morning. Apparently SLC is now part of the 'Denver Region'
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm confused - the storm is Jan 20-21, with clear/sunny skies forecast for Jan 21 afternoon through Jan 22 - why isn't the waiver for Jan 20-21 or Jan 22?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm confused - the storm is Jan 20-21, with clear/sunny skies forecast for Jan 21 afternoon through Jan 22 - why isn't the waiver for Jan 20-21 or Jan 22?
Thought about this earlier today myself. My best guess would be that UA fully expects things to go seriously south on Sunday, and will need a relief valve on Monday; to the extent that folks already booked for Monday are willing to clear out of the way into the softer portion of the week's capacity, all the better for IRROPS handling purposes. And for that I cannot fault them at all - potential win-win-win for UA-rebooked Sun pax-Mon pax with flexibility and/or weak stomachs.

That, or UA weather forecasters think they know something nobody else does...

Edit: As for Jan 20/Sat, nothing should be happening until most of the flying day is done, so makes sense to flush all those folks through to the greatest extent possible.

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Jan 19, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure where you got that forecast. I use Weather Underground and the forecast on Thurs and Friday was that the storm would roll in the NIGHT of Jan 20th so after effects would be felt on flights on Jan 21 with rolling impacts on Jan 22 -- and that's basically what's happened. South of Denver, the snow rolled in sometime after 2 AM. Roads aren't horrible but you do need to be careful driving. Snow has been light but steady with heavy gusty winds.
There was no need to apply waivers for flights on Jan 20 -- we were running around outside enjoying the parks, lots of people in shorts and tee-shirts. The waivers were needed for disrupted flights today and possibly tomorrow which is what United issued.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Not sure where you got that forecast. I use Weather Underground and the forecast on Thurs and Friday was that the storm would roll in the NIGHT of Jan 20th so after effects would be felt on flights on Jan 21 with rolling impacts on Jan 22 -- and that's basically what's happened. South of Denver, the snow rolled in sometime after 2 AM. Roads aren't horrible but you do need to be careful driving. Snow has been light but steady with heavy gusty winds.
There was no need to apply waivers for flights on Jan 20 -- we were running around outside enjoying the parks, lots of people in shorts and tee-shirts. The waivers were needed for disrupted flights today and possibly tomorrow which is what United issued.
Forecast received from multiple online sources - snow and winds are expected to end by 5-6pm today with the storm warning lifted at 5pm local time. I am not flying in until 130-200P tomorrow, and not departing again until 530P, so I am hopeful the delays will be minimal, but in case, I have a 3+ hour layover planned.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
We're in sit-and-spin mode on the storm right now; unsure if it will actually abate by 5 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Forecast received from multiple online sources - snow and winds are expected to end by 5-6pm today with the storm warning lifted at 5pm local time. I am not flying in until 130-200P tomorrow, and not departing again until 530P, so I am hopeful the delays will be minimal, but in case, I have a 3+ hour layover planned.
In which case I don't understand your assertion the waiver should have been for Jan 20-21 instead of 21-22. The storm came in just a little bit later than predicted but today and tomorrow are the periods where flights are affected and people on those flights might have wanted to make alternate plans. My flight departs tomorrow morning. I expect the airport operations to have returned to normal by then but I also expect my flight may be full as people shifted from today to tomorrow (voluntarily or otherwise).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:03 pm

I have an 8:00am departure out of Denver tomorrow (UA5526) and am wondering if it will be impacted from today's delays, cancellations, etc. It still says on time. Earlier today, it's inbound flight showed as from Lincoln, NE. Now it's from Edmonton, arriving at 9:00am, so not sure how my flight can still be showing as on time departure at 8:00 when it's inbound aircraft is scheduled to arrive an hour later at 9:00. I guess the dust still needs to settle, it's just annoying that current info clearly indicates it will be delayed.

Newbie here, any idea of other resources to check besides United and Flightaware? Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to know in advance if I can sleep in, plus I can still get on a later flight for free...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.