Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tax refund?? (for some UA Travel Bank funded trips?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tax refund?? (for some UA Travel Bank funded trips?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
could be a compliance "adjustment" and something they agreed to do as part of a settlement with some authority.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by iloveipods
I wonder if this means that they're close to fixing TravelBank and re-enabling it. Perhaps this was the problem they've been working on for six months....
Handing out free money would be one heck of a problem!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:33 am

Re: Phantom Refunds

Is this the right thread? Anyways, couldn't find the one where we were discussing this. Please merge if you can...

I discovered why people were getting their taxes back! It's now explained in the TravelBank FAQs. Paying with TB funds deceases one's tax liability.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Is this the right thread? Anyways, couldn't find the one where we were discussing this. Please merge if you can...

I discovered why people were getting their taxes back! It's now explained in the TravelBank FAQs. Paying with TB funds deceases one's tax liability.
The FAQs suggest that the excess taxes will be refunded within 60 days of travel, which might explain why not everyone has gotten a refund -- I'm betting I won't get one because I haven't used any TravelBank funds in the last 60 days.

They might also explain why you haven't been able to deposit money into the TravelBank recently -- they're apparently planning to collect the 7.5% excise tax on deposits. I don't know if they were doing that before, but that eliminates the loophole that everybody presumably saw simultaneously of topping up the TravelBank prior to every purchase to get all taxes refunded.

I'm curious, though. It seems to me that any logic that suggests that United.com Club credit should reduce the tax basis of the fare would apply equally well to ETCs, especially if those ETCs are given as customer service compensation of some sort for a paid flight.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

that's nice. Sounds like it will stick.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
For sure they were smart to add the tax for new purchases. Else that's a perfect savings for flights, and still a good way to manufacture spend.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm curious, though. It seems to me that any logic that suggests that United.com Club credit should reduce the tax basis of the fare would apply equally well to ETCs, especially if those ETCs are given as customer service compensation of some sort for a paid flight.
I (dis)agree with you. Specifically, I can't understand why they are treating UCCs as post tax funds. UCCs and ETCs ought to be considered pre tax forms of payment. Of course, I'm not complaining either!

The whole DOT tax issue is quite complicated (for example, bank points may or may not be taxed upon conversion to miles for dom/intl use). I should think the old way was easier (tax upon spending, not funding) but perhaps the IRS objected.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I (dis)agree with you. Specifically, I can't understand why they are treating UCCs as post tax funds. UCCs and ETCs ought to be considered pre tax forms of payment. Of course, I'm not complaining either!
Well, the reasoning is that the law omits taxes from discounted airfare, such as award flights. So, if you think of United.com Club credit as a discount toward airfare, akin to award tickets, it makes some sense. And if you then consider an ETC to be an airfare discount, the same logic would apply.

I'd argue they behave the same way and so should be taxed the same way. After all, if United is giving you $200 toward a future flight, aren't they really offering you a $200 discount? And, if the taxes are supposed to be based upon the revenue that they collect, and they're not collecting the revenue from the ETC (because it's really just a discount voucher), it seems that ETCs should reduce the taxable basis of the airfare. (Whether or not this is a sensible way to write the tax law is another question).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:18 pm

Well, the reasoning is that the law omits taxes from discounted airfare, such as award flights. So, if you think of United.com Club credit as a discount toward airfare, akin to award tickets, it makes some sense. And if you then consider an ETC to be an airfare discount, the same logic would apply.
Interesting! I always assumed, for example, that UA paid the PFCs on award tickets but you're saying they're not paid at all? I understand the DOT tax omission (7.5% of 0 is 0) but can't imagine airports are happy to host free customers.

I'd argue they behave the same way and so should be taxed the same way. After all, if United is giving you $200 toward a future flight, aren't they really offering you a $200 discount? And, if the taxes are supposed to be based upon the revenue that they collect, and they're not collecting the revenue from the ETC (because it's really just a discount voucher), it seems that ETCs should reduce the taxable basis of the airfare. (Whether or not this is a sensible way to write the tax law is another question).
I agree UCCs and ETCs are virtually identical and ought to be considered the same, either as FOPs or discounts.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting! I always assumed, for example, that UA paid the PFCs on award tickets but you're saying they're not paid at all? I understand the DOT tax omission (7.5% of 0 is 0) but can't imagine airports are happy to host free customers.
Correct. The PFC is not allowed to be collected on free tickets -- Title 49, Section 40117(e)2(C)

2. A passenger facility charge may not be collected from a passenger—
(C) enplaning at an airport if the passenger did not pay for the air transportation which resulted in such enplanement, including any case in which the passenger obtained the ticket for the air transportation with a frequent flier award coupon without monetary payment;
sexykitten7 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
Auto refund for tickets purchased by Travelbank?

I completed a one-way trip, on Feb 17, that purchased by Travelbank credit (partly). Now I received an email from United Refund saying (without reference number)
Thank you for your ticket purchase using TravelBank cash. Certain taxes that were included in the cost of your ticket purchased with TravelBank cash (either in part or in full) do not apply. For this reason, we have processed a refund for the taxes that do not apply.

The refund has been processed to the Form of Payment listed below. For refunds to a credit card, please allow 7-10 business days for the credit to post to your account. You may also view the refund details using the Check Refund Status link below and enter the 13-digit ticket number or 8-digit Request ID listed above.
Did anyone get a similary email?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes - not me, but several reports in an existing thread, though I believe it got merged into the main TravelBank thread.

For me, I’ve used partial TravelBank credit to pay for multiple itineraries going back to 2012 - from both fairly small to fairly large amounts, and not received this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just got an email now about this as well. This was for a trip that was completed last weekend of Feb, and was booked in late Jan. Haven't seen the refund actualy post back to card just yet, but the email says $5 (x 3 travellers). This trip was partially paid by travelbank, not fully. Not sure where the amount comes from - looked at the 3 taxes above, and divided by the proportion paid for by TB, but that doesn't match. Whatever it is, not upset about $15 coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.