Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL is edging closer to the requirements which DOT permits, but is still not there yet. I doubt that DL (or UA) is particularly worried about a legal challenge to something which DOT specifically authorizes.

The major item missing from DL's new requirements is that the passenger provide medical documentation of treatment for a DSM-recognized condition. That means having a licensed professional conduct a diagnonstic assessment and written records of a recognized condition. Not that many people want those sort of records out there when they are not true.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
DL is edging closer to the requirements which DOT permits, but is still not there yet. I doubt that DL (or UA) is particularly worried about a legal challenge to something which DOT specifically authorizes.

The major item missing from DL's new requirements is that the passenger provide medical documentation of treatment for a DSM-recognized condition. That means having a licensed professional conduct a diagnonstic assessment and written records of a recognized condition. Not that many people want those sort of records out there when they are not true.
Why does one need official medical authorization when ESA vests in all sizes and colors are readily available on Ebay and Amazon? ;-)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
Sugar Gliders is my favorite.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
As someone who travels not infrequently with my dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who has never made a peep in flight, and pays the $125 each way for him to travel, I say bravo to Delta! Honestly, despite paying the in cabin pet fee and losing a piece of carry on luggage as a result, you have more restrictions placed on you then someone who did not pay a fee. Given the airlines' desire to maximize fees, I'm really surprised this faux-therapy phenomenon hasn't been curtailed earlier. I can't wait to see the melt downs at the check in kiosks.

Please United, please adopt these "enhanced" documentation requirements!
happytobeme and PebbleBeach like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
I think if I brought my nephew's lizard on a flight, it's the lizard that would need the emotional support!!!

I'm glad that DL is taking measures to crack down on the abuse. Let's hope that UA doesn't wait too soon to act. Otherwise, the flying public that abuses the privilege will catch on to the fact that they can still bring their emotional support tarantula onto UA flights!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by SS255
I think if I brought my nephew's lizard on a flight, it's the lizard that would need the emotional support!!!

I'm glad that DL is taking measures to crack down on the abuse. Let's hope that UA doesn't wait too soon to act. Otherwise, the flying public that abuses the privilege will catch on to the fact that they can still bring their emotional support tarantula onto UA flights!
I think the people that need emotional support already prefer United
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
UNITED should -and probably will- most likely wait until Delta goes through the legal challenges it is going to likely face introducing this.
Someone has to be the first one to go through the motions.
Delta will transport animals proven (or at least documented) to be necessary and documented not to be a danger. Perfectly reasonable. Might be a frivolous suit or two, but not enough to prevent roll-out of the procedures. Good for Delta. Unfortunately, a lot of the fakers will move to AA or UA until those airlines clamp down.
PTravel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

Discussion of the DL policy change is occurring Delta introduces enhanced requirements for customers traveling with service or support animals effective March 1
If you have questions about the DL policy, please join the discussion there.

The question here is what will UA do.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Delta will transport animals proven (or at least documented) to be necessary and documented not to be a danger. Perfectly reasonable. Might be a frivolous suit or two, but not enough to prevent roll-out of the procedures. Good for Delta. Unfortunately, a lot of the fakers will move to AA or UA until those airlines clamp down.

UA has ALWAYS followed DL's lead! Thinking outside the box is not in UA's manual's/policy's, therefore it's always, just copy the other guy.

Meanwhile, umteen smelly dogs are sitting on peoples laps, every day, all over the system, and are NOT kenneled, and on the floor, where they belong.

Only when UA figures out that many folks will be jumpin' ship to get away from their stinky/flea infested planes will they instigate the same rules.

It really has gone way too far, and waiting for the government to do something, ain't gonna happen.

These people have figured out that scamming, and getting their lil' Fifi on the planes, is easy, but getting proper papers, in advance, may just cut back on the need to jump over land mines during the boarding process.

Last edited by Two Bee; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:24 am Reason: added a turtle
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
  • Hedgehogs
If United will no longer allow my emotional support hedgehog, I'm going to have to find another airline.

(Yes, this is my kids' hedgehog. And, no, I would never claim her to be an emotional support animal nor bring her on any airline.)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by chavala
Sugar Gliders is my favorite.
Heh. Had to Google that one. Can't believe they are serious.

UA had better follow this policy. It only makes sense.....except for the hedgehog, they're allowed. That's cute !!
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If United will no longer allow my emotional support hedgehog, I'm going to have to find another airline.

(Yes, this is my kids' hedgehog. And, no, I would never claim her to be an emotional support animal nor bring her on any airline.)
He/she is so cute but I assume not cuddly.
pseudoswede and chavala like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:35 am

I hope they go to the DOT limit. I've got a kid with special needs and friends with real service dogs so I understand the arguments from that side. However, a plane is a very special situation and the abuse is insane. You can generally tell a real service dog just by looking at how it behaves and how it's human behaves. I really wouldn't be opposed to banning all animals except dogs, and even with dogs, unless they're certain breeds, require extra waivers and signed attestations from providers (more hoops to jump through). Let's be honest, no chihuahua is a real service dog which is why it needs a LOT more documentation to qualify as a "support" animal. It's in the breed's nature so if you've got an unnaturally calm and non-yappy one and really do need emotional support, document the hell out of it. The emotional support animal thing is super iffy already, particularly once you get out of the realm of dogs.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
He/she is so cute but I assume not cuddly.
Their bellies are extremely soft and fluffy. Don't want to de-rail this thread; there's a pet photo thread in OMNI where she occasionally appears.

While the policy is all fine and dandy, and I hope United (and all other airlines) follow suit, do you know what the guy who finishes last in medical school is going to do? A nice business where he/she video conferences with the patient, patient tells the doctor that they need an emotional support animal on the plane, and the doctor fills out the form.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:50 am

You'll never be able to stop those truly determined to flout the rules. You can fake up certificates, etc. But make it hard. Make liability clear that it's on them and add harsh penalties for animals that act up (including a ban on future animals; not really different from a ban on a disruptive person). That'll weed out a lot already and will help a ton.
Miggles likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.