Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Originally Posted by username
Not sure if the peacock story has made it here: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...rlines-n842971
Awesome! The peacock really deserves it's own thread. ...
It had one but got off the UA topic into the generic ESA topic

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I know Congress and DOT have bigger fish to fry, but I hope that the ESA nonsense will be slapped down soon. It seems like a line has been crossed, but then I felt that was the case with pigs, and mini-horses... .
Great topic for another forum.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Not on that flight. I assume everybody is supposed to declare their intention to bring an animal aboard. I don't think everybody does. If the GA is not vigilant, then lots more animals end up flying.

Talking about animals, we have all sat next to humans who smelled and behaved worse than dogs.
I was on an AA flight in December and with the new close up seating I could smell the breath of a surrounding passenger the entire flight. In some regards I may have preferred a smelly animal since many of their diseases do not spread to humans.

Does another human qualify as a service animal? We are animals. Bring the service animal child and let them sit on the floor in front of you.

I have done a lot of discrimination law and disability accommodation issues, one issue that did not end up in litigation was where the service animal conflicted with a long established psychological disability where the individual was disabled for 32 months and had not left the condo and the proposed service animal in the condo next door was contributing to a psychological relapse. So if that proposed lease went through, the local Federal court would have decided the issue. They backed off the service animal.

Before I had several years of allergy shots about 20 years ago, a nearby dog could have created a health crisis for me. Now with my age, I lived a long enough life I don't care about the dogs, so if I might get sick from a dog and died, that is something that I do not worry about because I received for more in life than I ever imagined and every day I wake up is just extra cream. But I do understand the concern others may have, and something that people with dogs should consider.

Disability accommodation law needs to be more practical. Many people on the plane have a disability that can only be accommodated if there is no dog on the plane. If I were not retired I might have taken up the case of competing disabilities.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BF263533
I was on an AA flight in December and with the new close up seating I could smell the breath of a surrounding passenger the entire flight. In some regards I may have preferred a smelly animal since many of their diseases do not spread to humans.

Does another human qualify as a service animal? We are animals. Bring the service animal child and let them sit on the floor in front of you.

I have done a lot of discrimination law and disability accommodation issues, one issue that did not end up in litigation was where the service animal conflicted with a long established psychological disability where the individual was disabled for 32 months and had not left the condo and the proposed service animal in the condo next door was contributing to a psychological relapse. So if that proposed lease went through, the local Federal court would have decided the issue. They backed off the service animal.

Before I had several years of allergy shots about 20 years ago, a nearby dog could have created a health crisis for me. Now with my age, I lived a long enough life I don't care about the dogs, so if I might get sick from a dog and died, that is something that I do not worry about because I received for more in life than I ever imagined and every day I wake up is just extra cream. But I do understand the concern others may have, and something that people with dogs should consider.

Disability accommodation law needs to be more practical. Many people on the plane have a disability that can only be accommodated if there is no dog on the plane. If I were not retired I might have taken up the case of competing disabilities.
How about someone who becomes emotionally distressed when there is a dog sitting next to him/her? How about those who are allergic to dogs and cats? It goes both ways. What about the rights of the passengers sitting next to those people who claim to need emotionally supportive animals?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
How about someone who becomes emotionally distressed when there is a dog sitting next to him/her? How about those who are allergic to dogs and cats? It goes both ways. What about the rights of the passengers sitting next to those people who claim to need emotionally supportive animals?
If you become emotionally distressed because there is a dog sitting next to you or if you are allergic, you have the RIGHT to depart the aircraft prior to takeoff. If the ESA is on board the plane, the crew will most likely assume it is valid, and they have their hands tied.

Bring it up with the crew and you'll be taken off the aircraft. No one wants a costly medical emergency mid-flight.

It doesn't go both ways, sorry. You do not have the rights you think you have.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
If you become emotionally distressed because there is a dog sitting next to you or if you are allergic, you have the RIGHT to depart the aircraft prior to takeoff. If the ESA is on board the plane, the crew will most likely assume it is valid, and they have their hands tied.

Bring it up with the crew and you'll be taken off the aircraft. No one wants a costly medical emergency mid-flight.

It doesn't go both ways, sorry. You do not have the rights you think you have.
And that's the problem with the whole thing. We should be able to travel without being around animals. If you need an animal to travel you shouldn't be rolled out the red carpet at the expense of everyone else.
Even an episode of Grace & Frankie made a comment about all of the ESA being "fraud".

It's the epitome of absurdity in the 21st century that someone who may be afraid of dogs would be required to leave a flight because someone is afraid to fly without their dog.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS
Exactly! If you are afraid of flying take the train, bus, ship, or car
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I have two dogs, both are sitting here in my home office while I work. Both bring down my stress level when I'm having a rough day. I guess I could claim ESA status for both of them, and my doctor wouldn't blink to sign off on it, but they belong here in my home, not on the airplane with me.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Exactly! If you are afraid of flying take the train, bus, ship, or car
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have two dogs, both are sitting here in my home office while I work. Both bring down my stress level when I'm having a rough day. I guess I could claim ESA status for both of them, and my doctor wouldn't blink to sign off on it, but they belong here in my home, not on the airplane with me.
I'm about to be the daddy to a Boxer. I'm looking forward to the road trips on the west coast in the next few years. My Mom & Sister are also looking forward to babysitting.
I'm driving from Temecula to Monterey instead of flying back up when I pick her up.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

I'm about to be the daddy to a Boxer. I'm looking forward to the road trips on the west coast in the next few years. My Mom & Sister are also looking forward to babysitting.
I'm driving from Temecula to Monterey instead of flying back up when I pick her up.
No offense. I love dogs, but I am not a dog's mother or father. Only a dog itself can do that.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Boxer and English Bulldog for us. Best dogs we have ever had. My wife insists on purebreds with papers for whatever reason, but I don't care as they are both good with our kids, and keep me company on conference calls when I'm home.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If ESA's can be banned from a grocery store, why are they allowed on airplanes? An airplane is common carrier transport, which means, like a bus or train or ship, no one passenger has authority over anyone else, only the crew. We all know that, but my point is that the ESA people seem to have this attitude that because they need an ESA, everyone else has to step aside and walk on eggshells. Meanwhile, this same person can't go to the grocery store. Huh??? I guess one could order everything to be delivered, but realistically I think most people with an ESA still manage to go to the grocery store by themselves. After all, humans need to eat every day. Humans do not need to fly on an airplane every day, or every week, or every year, or once in a lifetime, or ever, for that matter.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If ESA's can be banned from a grocery store, why are they allowed on airplanes? An airplane is common carrier transport, which means, like a bus or train or ship, no one passenger has authority over anyone else, only the crew. We all know that, but my point is that the ESA people seem to have this attitude that because they need an ESA, everyone else has to step aside and walk on eggshells. Meanwhile, this same person can't go to the grocery store. Huh??? I guess one could order everything to be delivered, but realistically I think most people with an ESA still manage to go to the grocery store by themselves. After all, humans need to eat every day. Humans do not need to fly on an airplane every day, or every week, or every year, or once in a lifetime, or ever, for that matter.
The distinction you're asking United to make is the difference between a "Support Animal" and a "ESA". Grocery stores CAN ban ESA's but cannot ban "Service Animals".

This is murky waters and United (and other airlines) are scared of lawsuits. What if they deny an ESA and a passenger starts screaming discrimination. I guarantee you that'll happen. They're trying to be delicate and right now the pendulum is swinging toward them allowing anyone who says the magic words of "ESA" or "Service Animal" without scrutinizing too much. Now that people are taking advantage of this loophole, the pendulum is swinging back toward asking these questions and scrutinizing. But it will take time.

TBH, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We (our human way of thinking and exploiting things and probably greed) caused this problem, not the airlines. And yes, I include myself, even though I don't own any pets/animals.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If ESA's can be banned from a grocery store, why are they allowed on airplanes? .
Differences between the ADA laws, which cover grocery stores, and the Air Carrier Access Act, which covers commercial plane travel.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Great topic for another forum.
Can you suggest which forum? The Travel with Pets forum would seem appropriate, but all attempts to discuss ESAs there have been discouraged.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kale73
Can you suggest which forum? The Travel with Pets forum would seem appropriate, but all attempts to discuss ESAs there have been discouraged.
OMNI ? As it has to do with public policy / legislative action.

TravelBuzz -- The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines but wandering into Public Policy / politics/ .... is better in OMNI.

============================
And with https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ff-1mar18.html the premise for this thread has been answer and therefore will be closed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Caribgrl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.