Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Often1
What was the crew's specific response to your request that it do something about the animal?

The way to make certain that policies are enforced is --- when it affects you --- to complain. On the spot.

With the new DL policy, if it is prior to the flight being closed, a clear complaint to crew is a good starting point. If you see a dog in the gate area which appears to be out of control, ask the GA whether it will be seated near you because you are concerned for your safety.
it was only an issue after take off. The answer both times was its an emotional support dog, nothing we can do
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ESA's are supposed to be documented and have the proper paperwork. Airlines most definitely can ask to see the paperwork and deny the animal if the passenger does not have the proper paperwork. The restriction on the airlines is they cannot ask what the medical condition is. Glad to see Delta is going to start enforcing. Wish all the airlines would start enforcing. It can only help the airlines bottom line, more revenue for the pets, and the other passengers, no more fake ESA animals that can cause problems. I hav nothing against people flying with their pets, but they need to follow the rules like everyone else. No more free rides.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
ESA's are supposed to be documented and have the proper paperwork. Airlines most definitely can ask to see the paperwork and deny the animal if the passenger does not have the proper paperwork. The restriction on the airlines is they cannot ask what the medical condition is. Glad to see Delta is going to start enforcing. Wish all the airlines would start enforcing. It can only help the airlines bottom line, more revenue for the pets, and the other passengers, no more fake ESA animals that can cause problems. I hav nothing against people flying with their pets, but they need to follow the rules like everyone else. No more free rides.
That's part of the problem. SERVICE animals have documentation and paperwork. Emotional Support Animals are a new made-up category that is being abused by people bringing pets onboard. Good on the airlines for finally demanding some sort of documentation to accompany the animals and cut down on much of the out-and-out fraud.
FlyingNone and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
That's part of the problem. SERVICE animals have documentation and paperwork. Emotional Support Animals are a new made-up category that is being abused by people bringing pets onboard. Good on the airlines for finally demanding some sort of documentation to accompany the animals and cut down on much of the out-and-out fraud.

Go to this link for all thin info you need about what is and isn't a service animal, what is and isn't an emotional support animal, what can and can't be asked about service animals and what can and can't be asked about ESA's. One big thing that you will notice is not allowed to ask for any documentation for true service animals, currently only dogs and miniature horses, and that can ask for documentation about ESA's.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

So your statement about new made up category with no documentation is not correct. You are required to have documentation for your ESA to call it an ESA.
tuolumne and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So your statement about new made up category with no documentation is not correct. You are required to have documentation for your ESA to call it an ESA.
This is correct. For example, I just registered my Emotional Support Miniature Horse on https://www.esaregistration.org, but in order to get the documentation of that fact I have to through the long and arduous process of giving them my credit card and letting them charge me $55 (normally $89, but for a "limited time" it's only $54.95!!! Get in quick!!)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Go to this link for all thin info you need about what is and isn't a service animal, what is and isn't an emotional support animal, what can and can't be asked about service animals and what can and can't be asked about ESA's. One big thing that you will notice is not allowed to ask for any documentation for true service animals, currently only dogs and miniature horses, and that can ask for documentation about ESA's.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

More importantly, look at the DOT rules under the statute. Those rules permit air carriers to ask for a lot more documentation than the carriers now seek. Most particularly, the Rules permit carriers to require a letter from a mental health professional who has made a diagnosis of a DSM-recognized mental illness.

Why does that matter? Because not a whole lot of sane people really want a mental illness diagnosis which can affect them adversely in many other aspects of their lives (not everyone is Corporal Klinger).

If the carriers required what they are permitted to require, if the ESA thing is for real, at least it will be cut way back and the fraudsters will need to think up another scam.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
yes please

there were 4 dogs on my last flight.
On one flight, one person brought two medium sized dogs who did not behave (no additional seats for them) and there were three others with dogs and a cat. Blind and mobility impaired people should be allowed to travel with their certified support animals. As for all others, they should pay for a full seat if they are going to inconvenience the rest of us.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
On one flight, one person brought two medium sized dogs who did not behave (no additional seats for them) and there were three others with dogs and a cat. Blind and mobility impaired people should be allowed to travel with their certified support animals. As for all others, they should pay for a full seat if they are going to inconvenience the rest of us.
My understanding was that there is suppose to be a max limit of even service animals on a flight and I thought the number was less than 4???
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by docbert
... but in order to get the documentation of that fact I have to through the long and arduous process of giving them my credit card and letting them charge me $55 (normally $89, but for a "limited time" it's only $54.95!!! Get in quick!!)

"... and if you order w/i the next 10 mins, you'll receive not one, but two documents.

But you must hurry, as there is a limited supply.

CALL NOW!!!"

"Operators are standing by!!!"

We'll see how many are discouraged from getting the proper papers, and how many g/a's & f/a's wink these people onto the plane, because the lil' feller is, "Soooo Cute!".

Several weeks ago a f/a took the side of the emotionally disturbed gentleman, who just couldn't make it, any further, w/o his dog, and allowed his lil' helper to roam freely, after putting his smelly collapsible kennel on top of my backpack, in the overhead. I spoke to the f/a and was shined-on. After she went to the back, the other younger f/a waved me to the front galley and told me that she was 100% on my side, and put my stuff in the front closet.

Rules aren't going to be enforced, as this is being left up to g/a's and f/a's discretion, and who's decision to enforce is usually concocted on the spot, most likely depending upon their affection to someone's pet.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nomad420
My understanding was that there is suppose to be a max limit of even service animals on a flight and I thought the number was less than 4???
Not on that flight. I assume everybody is supposed to declare their intention to bring an animal aboard. I don't think everybody does. If the GA is not vigilant, then lots more animals end up flying.

Talking about animals, we have all sat next to humans who smelled and behaved worse than dogs.
tuolumne and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Talking about animals, we have all sat next to humans who smelled and behaved worse than dogs.
Agreed. Give me a cabin of dogs any day.

I have to say, what Delta is requesting seems reasonable to me. Ive never had an issue with dogs on a flight, but the stories Ive read over the past few days are alarming. I hope United follows suit. (I also wish theyd relax the weight restrictions, so I could bring my Wolfhounds on a flight, but one step at a time.)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by nomad420
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../in_cabin.aspx

UA's site references both "Service Animals" and "Pets". IME, the "Service Animals" do not count towards the quota for each cabin. A few weeks back, from ORD to BOS in F, there were two "pets" in carriers (mine was one) and a "Service Animal". Strangely enough, the two "pets" were silent while the "Service Animal" yapped
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Next time I'm at a UA Club, I'm going to try this...

Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if the peacock story has made it here: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...rlines-n842971
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by username
Not sure if the peacock story has made it here: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...rlines-n842971
Awesome! The peacock really deserves it's own thread.

I know Congress and DOT have bigger fish to fry, but I hope that the ESA nonsense will be slapped down soon. It seems like a line has been crossed, but then I felt that was the case with pigs, and mini-horses...
tuolumne likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.