Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VFR2EWR
So we're back to 3 cabin configurations. Why can't we just call it what it is - First, business and economy.
Originally Posted by jsloan

Two reasons:

1 - UA (and other carriers) are taking advantage of business travel policies that allow the use of “business” class by name.
2 - When comparing to four-class carriers, it’s the most accurate way to look at things. Certainly, UA J has much more in common with LH J or SQ J than it does with LH F or SQ F, and UA P+ is much more similar to LH/SQ PE than LH/PE J.
I think what he's getting at is that what we call J today (or what I see people wanting in J) is largely comparable to what used to pass for F before business class was a thing and what they're calling PE is comparable to what business class was when it was first rolled out. What is going on in first class suites like SQ F now used to be solely for private or charter jets. I get it, my company doesn't even like the appearance of people flying in business class on official duty so PE is a nice way to dodge that system and still get reasonable rest on a long haul. (Heck, I have to get permission to use my own cash or miles to upgrade -- although my leadership is pretty comfortable granting permission for upgrades that don't result in additional charges.)
splume likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by VFR2EWR
So we're back to 3 cabin configurations. Why can't we just call it what it is - First, business and economy.
Because business class is not first class and premium economy is not business class.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I think what he's getting at is that what we call J today (or what I see people wanting in J) is largely comparable to what used to pass for F before business class was a thing and what they're calling PE is comparable to what business class was when it was first rolled out.
My experience doesn’t go far enough back, but the C cabins I remember, pre-lie-flat era, were about 48-55” of pitch, not 38”. And people have been complaining about the “cattle car” 2-4-2 J configuration pretty much since the wow factor wore off. And that’s ignoring differences in soft product, which likely aren’t really relevant across eras anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure I see the point of drawing parallels across eras. Airlines currently offer anywhere from one to four classes of service on any given aircraft. Not because they're trying to maintain some sort of historic consistency, but because they aim to optimize their product to match market demand.
My experience doesn’t go far enough back, but the C cabins I remember, pre-lie-flat era, were about 48-55” of pitch, not 38”.
It was a nice product, far better than the current PE offering. About 56" pitch, IIRC, in a 2-3-2 configuration on the 772.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My interpretation of that advertising image:

Xyzzy, dav3d, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
So in the expert mode inventory, R and RN upgrade buckets are showing up immediately following F and A (the new premium economy fare buckets). Does this mean that if you book in economy and use a certificate, you will be upgrading to a premium economy product R / RN, or will you bypass PE and upgrade into PN / ZN for biz class?

Originally Posted by jjmoore
So in the expert mode inventory, R and RN upgrade buckets are showing up immediately following F and A (the new premium economy fare buckets). Does this mean that if you book in economy and use a certificate, you will be upgrading to a premium economy product R / RN, or will you bypass PE and upgrade into PN / ZN for biz class?
I appear to have found the answer to my own question, and it CONFIRMS MY WORST FEARS!!

https://hub.united.com/united-announ...621985755.html

If you book in economy, your GPU instrument will only get you to PE. You have to book PE to be eligible to upgrade to J. SHAME! This is a HUGE downgrade, and I saw it coming.

My mistake from previous post .. O and A are the new fare buckets for PE. Not F.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2018 at 11:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I appear to have found the answer to my own question, and it CONFIRMS MY WORST FEARS!!

https://hub.united.com/united-announ...621985755.html

If you book in economy, your GPU instrument will only get you to PE. You have to book PE to be eligible to upgrade to J. SHAME! This is a HUGE downgrade, and I saw it coming.

My mistake from previous post .. O and A are the new fare buckets for PE. Not F.
You misread, using a GPU from Y you can choose to be placed on a PY upgrade list, J upgrade list, or both. If you choose to accept PY for a GPU upgrade, you can still upgrade to J using the same GPU.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

You misread, using a GPU from Y you can choose to be placed on a PY upgrade list, J upgrade list, or both. If you choose to accept PY for a GPU upgrade, you can still upgrade to J using the same GPU.
Let's hope this is true... there is a huge lack of clarity in their wording as to whether this is true or not. They need to be specific and say if you are booked in Y or below, the GPU can only be used for ON and if you are booked in O/A, the GPU can be used for PN / ZN. That would clarify a TON. I tend to believe less that UA will give those sitting in economy the choice as to whether they would upgrade to PE or J, as the choice is completely obvious.

Edit: Or if you are booked in a fare class lower than W, your GPU only applies to ON, and if booked in W or higher up to Y, your GPU applies for PN / ZN space .... wishful thinking, of course.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:33 am

This is 100% inaccurate. Your ability to predict the future needs some tuning.
O/A/R are the buckets, not just O and A.

Let's hope this is true... there is a huge lack of clarity in their wording as to whether this is true or not.
Disagree. The language about the upgrades is pretty clear, save for one area.

Edit: Or if you are booked in a fare class lower than W, your GPU only applies to ON, and if booked in W or higher up to Y, your GPU applies for PN / ZN space .... wishful thinking, of course.
This is not how it works.

If you're booked in KLST the GPU only gets you into PremY. If you're booked in W or above It gets you into PremY if available and into Biz if available. The part that is unclear is on requesting that the upgrade only clear into J (i.e. a pax doesn't want to use a GPU on a W+ fare for Y->PremY). While I have no doubt the company can accommodate that (either now or eventually) I haven't seen the UI to know that such a request is possible.

One other thing I keep thinking about for such requests is that UA already said the priority for upgrades into J will now consider those booked in PremY before those in Y. So a Silver booked in R using miles gets priority over a 1K in W on a GPU. If that 1K clears into PremY first would they then have priority over the Silver??
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K
Looking at UA's website for Premium Economy flights to EU in April and most of them return on LH metal. Any idea what LH fare bucket R maps to? Will i be able to use a GPU on a 016 ticket on LH metal if I book an R ticket?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
The part that is unclear is on requesting that the upgrade only clear into J (i.e. a pax doesn't want to use a GPU on a W+ fare for Y->PremY). While I have no doubt the company can accommodate that (either now or eventually) I haven't seen the UI to know that such a request is possible.
It's been reported that the interface will accommodate that request. TPG has a screenshot showing the options. You Can Now Book Premium Plus With Miles and Cash

Originally Posted by monczao
Looking at UA's website for Premium Economy flights to EU in April and most of them return on LH metal. Any idea what LH fare bucket R maps to? Will i be able to use a GPU on a 016 ticket on LH metal if I book an R ticket?
Well you need to be booked under the LH flight number to apply a GPU, so if you're looking at a codeshare, this is going to be a multi-step process, involving a call to UA. If you try it, please report back. You can always cancel within 24 hours if it doesn't work. Which is certainly a possibility given how new this all is. I would in particular be concerned the R maps to N, which is a non-upgradeable LH fare class.
tods27 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been reported that the interface will accommodate that request. TPG has a screenshot showing the options. You Can Now Book Premium Plus With Miles and Cash
I was looking for the upgrade awards info, so thanks for posting the link to TPG. It will be interesting to see if the UG awards are simply the same miles as a C upgrade minus the copay as shown in TPG's example. Lack of a copay is good news, assuming that sticks. I wouldn't be surprised to see copays sneak back in. As a data point, LH charges 50K miles for a Y->C and 30K miles for Y->PE TATL(these are M&M, not *A upgrades). No copays in either case. There are reports on the LH board of $300 paid upgrades from Y->PE (and, of course, they have the PlusGrade bidding system).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you need to be booked under the LH flight number to apply a GPU, so if you're looking at a codeshare, this is going to be a multi-step process, involving a call to UA. If you try it, please report back. You can always cancel within 24 hours if it doesn't work. Which is certainly a possibility given how new this all is. I would in particular be concerned the R maps to N, which is a non-upgradeable LH fare class.
It appears that codeshare PE inventory was added for LH flights overnight. NH codeshare flights still don't have any.

I agree; it's a virtual certainty, IMO, that O->G, A->E, and R->N on the LH codeshares, meaning that you probably can't upgrade an R fare on LH metal with a GPU. (Frankly, I'm surprised you can upgrade R fares on UA metal with a GPU).

For nonstop flights, you can use advanced search to search for O and A. For connecting flights that involve an economy segment, you currently can't; since the economy leg won't have an O or A fare bucket, the entire result is suppressed from the "Requested fare class" column. You should be able to call UA to book an O or A fare on a connecting flight, however.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:00 am

It's been reported that the interface will accommodate that request.
Excellent.
For nonstop flights, you can use advanced search to search for O and A. For connecting flights that involve an economy segment, you currently can't; since the economy leg won't have an O or A fare bucket, the entire result is suppressed from the "Requested fare class" column. You should be able to call UA to book an O or A fare on a connecting flight, however.
Would searching O,A,B do it? You used to be able to trick the system that way.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Excellent.

Would searching O,A,B do it? You used to be able to trick the system that way.
It's an excellent thought, and the answer is "sort of." It works for connecting flights on UA, because those book into B and because the through B fare is usually higher than the A fare. It does not work for connecting flights on LH, because those are booking into discount fare classes.

So, if I'm searching AUS-FRA, I can use O, A, B to get the nonstop flight or connections through a UA hub (in PE), but if I'm searching AUS-CDG, I get B fares (in Y).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.