Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Perhaps UA has forgotten there are 26 letters in the alphabet, and that two letter fare codes allow 676 combinations . . . .
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Still smells off to me not to have 3 revenue codes, which basically all the other *A carriers do (some have 4).
I agree, and it certainly might be the case that they’re not planning for *A-wide PE awards — or that they’ll convert another fare class later. But the fact that R has been made available by so many *A carriers is suggestive. While it’s not 100% necessary to have fare class alignment for awards, it’s certainly easier.

I’m surprised they didn’t rip out one of the middle-tier economy codes. Do they really need H, U, and E? It seems to me that they could have used E and moved the existing E fares to either M or U.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps UA has forgotten there are 26 letters in the alphabet, and that two letter fare codes allow 676 combinations . . . .
UA may be able to use 676 combinations, but the GDSes are limited to one-letter codes. Every two-letter code is an internal UA code.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan

I agree, and it certainly might be the case that they’re not planning for *A-wide PE awards — or that they’ll convert another fare class later. But the fact that R has been made available by so many *A carriers is suggestive. While it’s not 100% necessary to have fare class alignment for awards, it’s certainly easier.

I’m surprised they didn’t rip out one of the middle-tier economy codes. Do they really need H, U, and E? It seems to me that they could have used E and moved the existing E fares to either M or U.
I agree on that front also - but it seems difficult to match the LH/AC JV with 2 codes onto 3. Maybe they'll steal E -- LH did.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Booking Premium Economy

Hi,
Looking at flying from PDX to LHR and GVA next year. How do I know which routes United will offer Premium Economy on? Or can I search by that class of service?

Hope I'm not asking that which has been asked previously.

Eric
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekwang
Hi,
Looking at flying from PDX to LHR and GVA next year. How do I know which routes United will offer Premium Economy on? Or can I search by that class of service?

Eric
You don’t; you can’t. They’ve yet to make any announcements.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:58 pm

Looks like most airliners are using Rockwell Collins MiQ for their PE, although this product was 'known as' a business class seat on narrow body planes.
Is any airliner using this for their domestic or regional flights? Turkish Airlines (TK) is looking forward to use it as I know.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,
Looking at flying from PDX to LHR and GVA next year. How do I know which routes United will offer Premium Economy on?
Eric
In case you were looking at UA TATL for GVA, UA flies to EWR & IAD. Both are served by 767 which most likely won't see PE.

\
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if Row 30 bulkhead on the retrofitted 777-200 is a true E+ bulkhead row? The seating chart seems to show a smaller gap between Row 30 and the PP Row 22 and a bigger gap in front of row 31?

All the photos I have found show the PP cabin but do not show what's behind that wall...

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dec 3: Offering PE seats for sale?

Hi,

Eric
From UAs latest press release re the 787-10:

"United's 787-10 features 44 United Polaris ® business class seats, 21 United® Premium Plus seats, 54 Economy Plus seats and 199 standard Economy seats. Tickets will be available for purchase on Dec. 3, for travel beginning March 30."

It appears as PE fares will be published/for sale on 3 Dec.

https://hub.united.com/united-airlin...619714319.html
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Excellent news; hopefully this means that UA codeshares on partner PE metal will get PE booking codes and be bookable immediately thereafter
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It also means December 2 will be the last day to book free PE seats. Already have 1 J and 3 PE reservations on 78J. Need to book one more.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Excellent news; hopefully this means that UA codeshares on partner PE metal will get PE booking codes and be bookable immediately thereafter
I'd like to see this but I am not holding my breath.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by username
Does anyone know if Row 30 bulkhead on the retrofitted 777-200 is a true E+ bulkhead row? The seating chart seems to show a smaller gap between Row 30 and the PP Row 22 and a bigger gap in front of row 31?

All the photos I have found show the PP cabin but do not show what's behind that wall...

Thanks.
There's a bulkhead behind Row 22 at the front of the E+ cabin. Is that what you mean by "true" bulkhead?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

So we're back to 3 cabin configurations. Why can't we just call it what it is - First, business and economy.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR2EWR
So we're back to 3 cabin configurations. Why can't we just call it what it is - First, business and economy.
Two reasons:

1 - UA (and other carriers) are taking advantage of business travel policies that allow the use of “business” class by name.
2 - When comparing to four-class carriers, it’s the most accurate way to look at things. Certainly, UA J has much more in common with LH J or SQ J than it does with LH F or SQ F, and UA P+ is much more similar to LH/SQ PE than LH/PE J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.