Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Question: but did you sleep better than when you are in E+?
Overall, no (with what was probably the same back recline as E+, but with legs unable to stretch out on the limited-recline footrest). But, my lumbar spine was much happier.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
Overall, no (with what was probably the same back recline as E+, but with legs unable to stretch out on the limited-recline footrest). But, my lumbar spine was much happier.
That's bad news as I was planning to purchase PE when United starts selling it. I'm hoping that, since the key word has Economy, my employer will reimburse that fare.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Re: service downgrades after rollout. Delta fairly quickly cut glass barware and replaced with plastic cups in PS. Rumor was that it was a storage issue, perhaps on the 777. While this may seem like a small thing I think it's the little things that make a big difference in this category.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
So to my surprise, my bulkhead window seat last night on a 772 (IAD-CDG) was a new premium economy seat (with a honking big plaque "Premium Plus" above seat 20K) in a 2-4-2 mini-"cabin", without the amenities: purple headrest (side head support adjustable), seat recline ok, nice calf support on the footrest. Both seat and footrest recline were more limited that expected (i.e. I felt like an accordion in a lawn chair, and didn't sleep at all well due to the limited recline), and I'm not even tall. However, lumbar support was noticeably better than regular E+ seats, and the seat was wider. Larger touchscreen and tray table, which are (at least so far) easier to extract than those in E+. The bulkhead at least seemed to have more leg room than regular E+.
Each seat has an LED-lit power outlet and USB outlet (a step up from E+), but in a new (large paperback book-sized) cubby to the L under the back of the armrest. Even the FAs didn't know where the headphone jack was: turns out, it is above the power outlets but (bafflingly) not LED-lit; so you either have to do some serious yoga as I did to stick your head down to plug level, or you have to bend your left arm backwards and find it inside the cubby by feel.
And, of course, the soft product was regular economy E(-) blanket/pillow/food, and an even more undrinkable red than is normal.

On the plus side, trekking back to the lav in E- through all the densified seating made the front mini-cabin seem spacious; and, the flight crew was cheerful and competent.
Thank you for the report.

It is disappointing to read about the jack for the headphones - I swear the people who design the interiors on planes, specifically where the passengers sit, do not actually travel themselves.

The seat itself sounds similar to NZ PE product (the recent product not the really great PE product with the ottoman for your legs that they have now replaced). I slept fine on the NZ PE product LAX-LHR and LAX-AKL. Much better than UA E+.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I won’t pay for it

I flew in the new PE between IAD-LHR. After all the hype, it was disappointing. The pitch was less than E+. With the legrest and the footrest it was difficult to use either. I’m only 6 ft. When I tried the leg rest I had to arch my legs cause there was not enough room. The footrest blocks one from storing under the seat in front of you.

i can’t even imagine if the bedding is on the seat. It felt cramped. Once all the new China comes the fray is small.

Maybe the bulk head seat is better.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Disappointing to hear ,especially after a wonderful experience on Lufthansa. I guess Inwillbstaybthere when I fly PE
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I flew in the new PE between IAD-LHR. After all the hype, it was disappointing. The pitch was less than E+. With the legrest and the footrest it was difficult to use either. I’m only 6 ft. When I tried the leg rest I had to arch my legs cause there was not enough room. The footrest blocks one from storing under the seat in front of you.

i can’t even imagine if the bedding is on the seat. It felt cramped. Once all the new China comes the fray is small.

Maybe the bulk head seat is better.
Pitch is less than E+? Oh that is not good. Very disappointing to read.

UA's E+ is the reason I fly NZ in PE between west coast and LHR and LAX and SYD (via AKL). If the GPU does not come through on a red eye to LHR or to/from Australia NZ PE is my go to as price is very similar to UA E+.

Thank you for the report @santarosaflyer
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I flew in the new PE between IAD-LHR. After all the hype, it was disappointing. The pitch was less than E+.
Well the seat itself is deeper so I am not exactly surprised that it is tight if they went with the 37" pitch they have been using in domestic First (vs the 38" it used to be, and still is on the 753 in F). I don't see a seatmap yet with the pitch listed, but hopefully they used the standard 38" (as e.g. DL has on the A359 and AA has used with its seats) vs 37". Anyone know?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Disappointing to hear ,especially after a wonderful experience on Lufthansa. I guess Inwillbstaybthere when I fly PE
You expected United to roll out a truly customer friendly product?

This is nothing more than "everyone else installed PY, so how can we do it for the lowest possible cost and screw the customer over by over-charging them for a substandard me-too product very few people will actually pay for"
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You expected United to roll out a truly customer friendly product?

This is nothing more than "everyone else installed PY, so how can we do it for the lowest possible cost and screw the customer over by over-charging them for a substandard me-too product very few people will actually pay for"
It is well worth the upgrade price they are currently charging. Even without having flown it I stand by this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Continental
Does this announcement mean they are ready to start charging for the Premium Econ domestically?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Thank you for the report.

It is disappointing to read about the jack for the headphones - I swear the people who design the interiors on planes, specifically where the passengers sit, do not actually travel themselves.

The seat itself sounds similar to NZ PE product (the recent product not the really great PE product with the ottoman for your legs that they have now replaced). I slept fine on the NZ PE product LAX-LHR and LAX-AKL. Much better than UA E+.
I would like for the designers to better reflect the traveling public. 5'11" and BMI of 28 will do.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by findark
I believe the plan will be to block all of F and to assign the seats to high-value customers (some memo was saying it was by ticket price, could be GS, etc.) at the gate or by contacting them in advance. It would be similar to how they did this when 3-class aircraft flew p.s. routes a couple of years ago.
I'm curious if they're going to do the same thing with the current Premium Plus seats--block them from the Economy seat map and assign them to high value customers afterwards. It seems to me like this maintenance is implementing the seats in the seat map as a separate class of service, but I doubt they'll be ready to actually sell Premium Plus yet.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sykes
I'm curious if they're going to do the same thing with the current Premium Plus seats--block them from the Economy seat map and assign them to high value customers afterwards. It seems to me like this maintenance is implementing the seats in the seat map as a separate class of service, but I doubt they'll be ready to actually sell Premium Plus yet.
That would be an awful lot of work. I suspect they'll just leave them as E+, which very roughly accomplishes the same (though in a much less refined manner).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Anyone have an informed opinion if United codeshare bookings (016) for PE on *A (e.g., O,A,U on Air NZ) will become possible after United officially rolls out the product?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.