Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: United Gold
good catch phkc on the new plane and seating area. I note that particular one is a pretty full flight!

It will be good to get a sense from people involved in these equipment swaps how the P+ seats were distributed. Example - we seem to know how the remaining global First seats in the 763s are being given out (i.e., increasingly through instrument supported upgrades close to the flight date).

If the seat map above is to be believed, the whole P+ cabin has been assigned ...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Well, it looks like the very first P+ Flight is slated to be UA990(25) SFO-CDG
Good catch. Note this is Monday's flight.

In addition to a small handful of lucky recipients of free PE seats, there will be lots of unhappy campers in the back who have had their seat assignments scrambled and are now 10 across in Y.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by narvik
According to that layout:

787-10 gets 21 PE
777-200 gets 24 PE
777-300 gets 24 PE
767-300 gets 22 PE
Are the 787-8 and 787-9 receiving the PE seats?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1984SW
With the dynamic pricing for various Y+ seats, I thought the PE seats would be more.
They have to treat it as normal E+ until they have a full dedicated fleet in order to account for aircraft swaps.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hscottm
It will be good to get a sense from people involved in these equipment swaps how the P+ seats were distributed. Example - we seem to know how the remaining global First seats in the 763s are being given out (i.e., increasingly through instrument supported upgrades close to the flight date).
Coded as regular E+ even down to them being too lazy to re-price the PE seats. I would assume whoever was in the first 3 rows of E+ kept their assignments.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Coded as regular E+ even down to them being too lazy to re-price the PE seats. I would assume whoever was in the first 3 rows of E+ kept their assignments.
I’d say “cautious” rather than lazy. If the flight goes MX, they won’t have to worry about people getting angry that they paid an extra $200+ for a seat that wound up identical to the ones a couple of rows behind.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:18 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
They have to treat it as normal E+ until they have a full dedicated fleet in order to account for aircraft swaps.
They charge different prices for window/middle/aisle/exit row/etc, so I figured they could just charge a slightly higher price for the seats in the PE section, but looks like they can't/won't/didn't.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They charge different prices for window/middle/aisle/exit row/etc, so I figured they could just charge a slightly higher price for the seats in the PE section, but looks like they can't/won't/didn't.
I would guess didn't — as they seem to struggle to get out ahead of any changes including ones they make themselves — but perhaps it will be won't.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CLTRob

Are the 787-8 and 787-9 receiving the PE seats?
Eventually, when those aircraft are retrofit with Polaris seats. It's happening (to be completed) within the next 3-4 years, but there's no official schedule yet.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:12 pm

I think you're missing the point. They can't charge more for a PE seat right now because with only one PE aircraft in the entire fleet, there is no guaranty you will get a PE seat. They can however, guaranty an aircraft with E+, so they're just leveling normal E+ charges.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Pictures of Premium Economy seats

I would want the bulkhead for the footrest. Why did United only do that for the first row? Compare to SQ pic
https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...-85307-tbla-45
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I would want the bulkhead for the footrest. Why did United only do that for the first row? Compare to SQ pic
I don't get the purple coloring for the P+ section...it's not in the current UA color scheme.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
WOW. I am really, really surprised they have that much difference. The bulkhead seats are typical PE seats, the rest, not so much.... If they want to charge a premium, the tight legroom and little dinky "foot" rest is NOT going to cut it. I guess is not surprising, it is United after all, and they do everything doller-general style, but just surprising to see it in the flesh, given that other carriers have not done this kind of cheapo thing...

Delta, the seats are all like the bulkhead on UA see https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/up-...remium-select/ Ditto other airlines (expect I think AA did the same cheap thing that UA has done. Birds of a HP feather, flock together....)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
WOW. I am really, really surprised they have that much difference. The bulkhead seats are typical PE seats, the rest, not so much.... If they want to charge a premium, the tight legroom and little dinky "foot" rest is NOT going to cut it. I guess is not surprising, it is United after all, and they do everything doller-general style, but just surprising to see it in the flesh, given that other carriers have not done this kind of cheapo thing...

Delta, the seats are all like the bulkhead on UA see https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/up-...remium-select/ Ditto other airlines (expect I think AA did the same cheap thing that UA has done. Birds of a HP feather, flock together....)
Singapore and United have the same setup where the bulkhead seats have a leg rest and footrest built in, while the rest have a built in leg rest with the footrest attached to the seat in front.

This is much better than what a lot of airlines offer, including American who have no leg rests in non-bulkhead seats.

You can see that the UA seat behind has a leg rest, which is actually full width unlike the SQ seat. Both are clearly better than the AA seat which you can see has no leg rest at all.

Last edited by Agremeister; Jun 26, 2018 at 4:06 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is W booking class reserved for PE

I am trying to book GPU-eligible W fare flights to China for a friend. The flights never came out when I typed in "W" on booking class. So, I typed in "W,V," booking code, the flights with V booking code showed up. I had similar experiences with other routes recently. Anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.